Planes, Trains, and Automobiles @ MSNCT/HSNCT

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
CPiGuy
Auron

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles @ MSNCT/HSNCT

Post by CPiGuy »

I will be running a side event on my set Planes, Trains, and Automobiles at MSNCT and HSNCT. It will take place on Saturday evening at both tournaments, after the conclusion of tournament gameplay for the day (and some time to allow people to get food) -- I'll post more specific logistics/times/etc. in this thread closer to the actual events.

There will probably be 5-8 rounds of powermarked tossups. This tournament is open to anyone with no restrictions on who can play or team up. Teams should consist of two people, except that all-MS/HS teams can be trios, and if an entire closed team wants to play together they can play four at a time. The cost will be $20 per team.

In accordance with NAQT's side event policy, this event is not an official function of NAQT and is not sponsored or endorsed by NAQT.

Here's a sheet to sign up to play or staff. If you don't have a teammate you can sign up as a free agent; we'll organize unpaired free agents into teams before we start. I will pay staffers $10.
Last edited by CPiGuy on Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Re: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles @ MSNCT/HSNCT

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

Will there be clues sourced from Nextdoor posts complaining about the people mover not stopping next to Olive Garden?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15
Vainglorious yet Victorious
Lulu

Post by Vainglorious yet Victorious »

I would love to participate, but is there a rough timetable?
Amory Kaufman
Player, Providence Academy (2020- )
Yes, I have 266 career -5s. Go figure!
All-Star, 2023 MSNCT
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Vainglorious yet Victorious wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:23 pm I would love to participate, but is there a rough timetable?
Good question.

Let's aim to meet at 6:30 in the small atrium outside Lambert/Sky Harbor/SeaTac/etc (I don't remember all the room names but hopefully this is uniquely identifying). If we have enough people for at least 4 teams of doubles (and at least 1 other staffer) we'll run it tournament-style; otherwise we'll run it as a shootout. I imagine it will take about 1.5-2 hours.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
Vainglorious yet Victorious
Lulu

Post by Vainglorious yet Victorious »

Can we bring cash and pay onsite? I have a team of two and we are planning to play, but the Google Form to sign up wasn’t working. Thanks!
Amory Kaufman
Player, Providence Academy (2020- )
Yes, I have 266 career -5s. Go figure!
All-Star, 2023 MSNCT
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Vainglorious yet Victorious wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:02 pm Can we bring cash and pay onsite? I have a team of two and we are planning to play, but the Google Form to sign up wasn’t working. Thanks!
It's not a gform, it's just a spreadsheet. And yes, absolutely.

Relatedly, we are going to meet for this at 6:30 tonight, in the lower level of the conference center lobby (where the scrimmage desks were last night).
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

This happened at MSNCT, and there are stats.

Shower Curtain Ring Division (Colby Burnett and Jim Puls) won the tournament with a 5-0 record.

Unfortunately one team had to leave after the first 3 rounds, so the bottom bracket was condensed into two teams (with Jeff and Noelle acquiring Jake); after their first round they shuffled the rosters around and played again, a game which is not in the stat report.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

This set is a whole lot of fun, and has stuff for everyone, even if you're basically the opposite of a "transit enthusiast." Lots of delightful clues to read as well! Thanks for writing, Conor!
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

For those playing this at HSNCT, let's meet at 8:30 on the 200 level of the Hilton tomorrow, assuming those game rooms are unlocked and within range of the lobby internet. (If those things are false, I'll find somewhere else and post an update).
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

CPiGuy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:44 pm For those playing this at HSNCT, let's meet at 8:30 on the 200 level of the Hilton tomorrow, assuming those game rooms are unlocked and within range of the lobby internet. (If those things are false, I'll find somewhere else and post an update).
Some more specific logistics:

I have instituted a field cap of 16; we currently have 7 staffers and need one more for this. 16 is a much nicer number than 14 so hopefully someone else is able to staff for this (and great thanks to those already signed up)!

Given the current field size and number of free agents (and probability of a nonzero number of free agents showing up tomorrow evening) I anticipate we will hit 16 teams. If we still have people wanting to play, we'll just expand some teams to more than 2 players (or more than 3 players for teams of high schoolers).

There are 5 packets of 16 tossups each. The format will be 4 prelim groups of 4 teams, followed by 4 "single-elimination" playoff groups of 4 teams (the losers of each round 4 match will play each other). I will make an attempt at seeding the groups but will probably be wildly off. C'est la vie.

As usual you're free to bother me here or over Discord with any further questions.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Hey, if there's any interest, I could read an incomplete packet of "transportation in film" tossups I've written.

Rated PG-13.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

CPiGuy wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:26 am
CPiGuy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:44 pm For those playing this at HSNCT, let's meet at 8:30 on the 200 level of the Hilton tomorrow, assuming those game rooms are unlocked and within range of the lobby internet. (If those things are false, I'll find somewhere else and post an update).
Some more specific logistics:

I have instituted a field cap of 16; we currently have 7 staffers and need one more for this. 16 is a much nicer number than 14 so hopefully someone else is able to staff for this (and great thanks to those already signed up)!

Given the current field size and number of free agents (and probability of a nonzero number of free agents showing up tomorrow evening) I anticipate we will hit 16 teams. If we still have people wanting to play, we'll just expand some teams to more than 2 players (or more than 3 players for teams of high schoolers).

There are 5 packets of 16 tossups each. The format will be 4 prelim groups of 4 teams, followed by 4 "single-elimination" playoff groups of 4 teams (the losers of each round 4 match will play each other). I will make an attempt at seeding the groups but will probably be wildly off. C'est la vie.

As usual you're free to bother me here or over Discord with any further questions.
"Control room" is 209.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

This happened. There are stats!

Congratulations to Nic Pruitt, BJ Ryan, and Mike Cheyne for winning in dominant fashion, taking the final over Sean Higgins and Subhamitra Banerjee Roychoudhury -- and thanks to everyone who showed up to play.

Thanks also to our awesome staffers: Colby Burnett, Cody Johansen, Joel Miles, Jacob O'Rourke, Jim Puls, Irwin Shires, and Trinity Silva. This couldn't have happened without them.

There will be at least one online mirror of this set and hopefully some more runs of it at side event weekends.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16