Thu, 5/4/23 and 5/11/23: Unused Nats submissions readings ("Festival of Rejects")

All announcements for open practices, online or in-person scrimmages, the playing of online packets, and online or in-person playtesting goes in this forum. (Official Skype/Discord tournaments should still be announced in the relevant tournament announcement forums.)

What evening(s) are you free to read/play unused ACF Nationals submissions?

Wednesday, May 3
13%
Thursday, May 4
20%
Friday, May 5
13%
Tuesday, May 9
13%
Wednesday, May 10
13%
Thursday, May 11
16%
Friday, May 12
13%

Total votes: 70

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Thu, 5/4/23 and 5/11/23: Unused Nats submissions readings ("Festival of Rejects")

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Now that ACF Nationals is over in all but its psychological aftereffects -- and the set is posted -- I'd like people to have a chance to read unused questions from their submitted packets in #packet on the Quizbowl Discord. In the past, informal gatherings after some Nats and COs have led to a queue of people making a little festival of question-reading. Given how many cool & zany submissions go unused and how much effort teams put in, my hope is that the "Festival of Rejects" becomes more of an entrenched Tradition to look forward to.

I've set some poll options, so we have lead time to find a date with a good crowd. Assume a start time of mid-evening/early night Eastern/Central time. If interest is overwhelming, a multi-day or multi-room experience is possible.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Wed May 03, 2023 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
elyne road
Lulu

Re: DATE POLL: Unused Nats submissions readings ("Festival of Rejects")

Post by elyne road »

this is a great idea! i wanted to raise the point that this might also be a good opportunity to incorporate workshop-style feedback (if that is something folks have both the interest and capacity for), since it would be a good chance to get valued perspectives from other members of the community. either way i am very much looking forward to this.
S. A. Shenoy (they/them)

Georgia Tech 2024
Charter School of Wilmington 2019
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: DATE POLL: Unused Nats submissions readings ("Festival of Rejects")

It looks like tomorrow, Thursday, May 4, is the winner, so the first session of Festival of Rejects will start that evening in #packet on the main quizbowl Discord. However, due to some scheduling oafishness on my part, I won't be able to attend. If someone else would like to host / run the reader queue tomorrow, let me know (or just Alexander Haig it and declare yourself in control here, idk) and determine a start time that works for you.

I can host a second session starting on Thursday, May 11 around 8 PM Eastern/ 7 PM Central, also in main qb Discord. I will kick that session off by doing rejects from the Chicago A packet.

I kindly request that any teams who feel comfortable post the text of each question after it gets read, so those who couldn't attend can have a Festival of Scrolling on their own time.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: Thu, 5/4/23 and 5/11/23: Unused Nats submissions readings ("Festival of Rejects")

Tonight's installment of the "Festival of Rejects" will begin at 8 Eastern / 7 Central, with Mazin reading unused submissions from Harvard. After that, my hope is that people from other schools who are around tonight will queue up to read stuff.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: Thu, 5/4/23 and 5/11/23: Unused Nats submissions readings ("Festival of Rejects")

Round two of the Festival of Rejects: ACF Nationals 2023 Edition will start a little after 8 ET/7 CT with unused questions from Chicago A, followed by Yale A. I've also been authorized to read from the unused submissions by Chicago B and C, which may happen later in the evening.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF