IQBT UG Championship Online Open Mirror, Part 1 (07/29/2023)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

IQBT UG Championship Online Open Mirror, Part 1 (07/29/2023)

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Apologies for the delays, everyone. Our online mirror of the IQBT Undergraduate Championship set will be on July 29th, as Fred previously announced. It will be held over Zoom. I’ll be serving as TD. This is an open mirror. Anyone who did not write for or playtest the set or who did not play or staff the championship is welcome to play.

The tournament will use the first 9 packets of the set. We will hold a Part 2 mirror sometime post-CO, to use the remaining 9 packets. I’ll arrange the tournament schedule such that all teams get to play all 9 of these packets, so you’re not shortchanged, even if that requires an odd format (e.g. if we get 8 teams, we’d do a 7-game round robin, and then have 1 v 2, 3 v 4, etc. play the last two packets).

The entry fee is $25 per player. For the moment, I’m going to cap the field at eight teams.

Here is a spreadsheet for team formation. However, you are not officially registered until you e-mail me, at john yi lawrence @ gmail.com (minus the spaces I just put in). Please put the phrase “UG Online Mirror Part 1” in the subject-line of your e-mail, so it’s easy for me to find it. I will treat the person who e-mails me as your team’s contact person/address, unless I am told otherwise.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Re: IQBT UG Championship Online Open Mirror, Part 1 (07/29/2023)

This tournament is a little more than a week away. Two teams have registered but there are enough free agents listed to fill out two more teams, and thus meet our minimum field of four teams. We'd be very happy too, of course, with a field of six teams, should more players wish to join!
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

The tournament is this Saturday. It looks like we may have four total teams, in which case registration is just a matter of figuring out which of the current free agents are banding together to start a fourth team, and which are joining Jason and Nick's team.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

This tournament will start at 10 AM ET / 7 AM PT. I'll send out a logistical e-mail tonight, once the field is finalized. I'm currently trying to move around some free agents among teams to get the field to a workable number.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

I've finalized teams, assigned remaining free agents to each team.

I just sent a logistics e-mail to the person who registered for each team. If you are that person and haven't received it, please let me know right away.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Congratulations to Nothing, Nowhere, Consecutively (Chris Manners, Tim Morrison, Shahar Schwartz, and Tejas Raje), who beat Leste Is Timor (Jason Golfinos, Nick Jensen, Chinmay Kinsara, and Kevin Ye) in the final to win the tournament!

Stats are already up for the prelims, playoffs, and crossover exhibition game. Tomorrow, Ryan will post the stats from the last game.

Thanks to all the players and staffers. Stay tuned for a mirror of the remaining nine packets, at some later date.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Attached are the first nine packets of the set, which were the questions played at this mirror. We're releasing them publicly in part because there might be people who didn't play the first part of the tournament, but wish to play the second; and it seems odd to say that only the people who played the first half should be privy to what has already come up. After both mirrors have concluded, the whole set (both these nine packets and the next nine packets) will be uploaded to the archive, as one entity.
Attachments
2023_UG_Nats_Packets_1-9.zip
(3.07 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
John Lawrence
Yale University '12