1950-2000 TV Set Question

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.

To play a 1950-2000 TV tournament, I'd rather

just play a set Borglum writes.
80%
contribute my own pack for a non-edited guerrilla tournament.
20%

Total votes: 15

ValenciaQBowl
Auron

1950-2000 TV Set Question

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Howdy, all!

I've had a brief discussion with Mike Cheyne about writing a set of 7-8 packets on TV from 1950-2000 (expanded his initial range by a decade). As a person who was able to watch more than half of that range live, I think I'm a good candidate to write such a set.

My question for us was how many people would be interested in playing. As a counterproposal, if there was only a small number of interested players, I suggested we could consider a guerilla tournament (and part of this was my own desire to maybe play such a set). '

FWIW, if I write the set, I'd probably charge $10/person and make it doubles, and donate it to a group that does good. I suppose we could do that with a guerrilla tournament, too.

So answer these if you're interested (note that if we have even more than 15-20 people interested, I'd be willing to write the set):
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: 1950-2000 TV Set Question

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Granted, it's only been five days, but six people would like to play a set that I write, and one person would be interested in a guerilla format. My only concern here is that I'm not sure I'd be excited to expend the energy writing 140 questions on classic TV if the audience isn't much bigger.

Of course, I understand that a lot of the action has moved to the discords, where you kids discuss your ataris and such, so it's likely there are many more folks who'd be interested.

If you're interested, take the poll above, but I'm leaning toward going ahead and writing this for fun anyway. If so, I'd probably have it done sometime in spring.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: 1950-2000 TV Set Question

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Happy New Year, Quizbowl!

I've written around 40 questions for this TV set now and have an announcement up in the Trash section. I'll offer a limited in-person shootout of some sort at HSNCT with an online all-comers in late May or early June.
Chris Borglum