NEWB what is mirroring

New high school teams looking for advice should post here.
toratora12
Kimahri

NEWB what is mirroring

Post by toratora12 »

Hello all,
I am new to quizbowl.
Why do organizers disclose the question set that will be used in the competition? Is that standard practice?
Do they reveal all the questions that will be used in the competition or just the editor of the set?
Also, what is mirroring.

Thanks.
AJ

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: NEWB what is mirroring

Post by Important Bird Area »

Welcome to the quizbowl community!
toratora12 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:10 pm Why do organizers disclose the question set that will be used in the competition? Is that standard practice?
Yes, it is standard practice to announce the question set that will be used. (Otherwise it would be easy for teams to accidentally play the same questions twice! Which would be horribly unfair and/or a waste of time and travel expenses.) Announcements will say something to the effect of "this tournament will use [named question set] produced by [group/team/company that wrote and edited it]," but for obvious reasons not reveal details of the question content. It's normal and expected for a set announcement to post a "distribution" (how many questions are in each major category, of the form "there will be this many questions per round about chemistry").
toratora12 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:10 pm Also, what is mirroring.
Mirroring is when the same question set is used at multiple sites around the country. For example, the main site of 2023 Penn Bowl took place at the University of Pennsylvania. But there were also a number of mirrors: events using the Penn Bowl question set, but held at other more distant locations (Harvard, Purdue, Texas, Berkeley, North Carolina, etc.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred