Search found 52 matches

by sssssssskkkk
Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:19 am
Forum: College area archives
Topic: ACF Regionals 2013 Specific Question Discussion
Replies: 61
Views: 9756

Re: ACF Regionals 2013 Specific Question Discussion

Oh okay...I guess I didn't pay attention to the fact that only "one of these compounds" with a methyl group could undergo the test. "Methyl" and "iodoform test" together do seem like negbait though.
by sssssssskkkk
Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:06 am
Forum: College area archives
Topic: ACF Regionals 2013 Specific Question Discussion
Replies: 61
Views: 9756

Re: ACF Regionals 2013 Specific Question Discussion

I think there was a factual inaccuracy in the tossup on "aldehydes." It led in with something about how "besides secondary alcohols, the methyl forms of these compounds undergo the iodoform reaction" and I buzzed in with "ketones," since methyl ketones do in fact undergo the iodoform reaction, but I...
by sssssssskkkk
Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:52 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 2012 NSC: June 9-10 at Washington University in St. Louis
Replies: 106
Views: 162255

Re: 2012 NSC: June 9-10 at Washington University in St. Louis

Are there going to be combined stats for this tournament?
by sssssssskkkk
Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:57 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 2012 NSC: June 9-10 at Washington University in St. Louis
Replies: 106
Views: 162255

Re: 2012 NSC: June 9-10 at Washington University in St. Louis

And Auburn has 13 bonuses heard during that match instead of 6....thus resulting in their deflated PPB.
by sssssssskkkk
Mon May 28, 2012 2:41 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 2012 HSNCT discussion
Replies: 173
Views: 36114

Re: 2012 HSNCT discussion

The logistics for this tournament went very well. This was also my first time staffing HSNCT, but it certainly is not going to be my last time staffing this tournament. However, I noticed in round 20 a TU that I thought had a terrible lead-in. In particular, it was the tossup on the Atlantic Charte...
by sssssssskkkk
Sat May 19, 2012 9:03 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Midwest Championship at Northwestern (5/19/12)
Replies: 52
Views: 21219

Re: Midwest Championship at Northwestern (5/19/12)

Just a minor correction in the stats...for IMSA A's Round 6 game against "Something Ambiguous," I believe Webster and Eric's stats are switched according to my own records.

Good tournament all-around. It ran smoothly and we got 14 rounds done by 5, which was pretty nice.
by sssssssskkkk
Mon May 14, 2012 9:18 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Midwest Championship at Northwestern (5/19/12)
Replies: 52
Views: 21219

Re: Midwest Championship at Northwestern (5/19/12)

The only reason I'm paying out of my own pocket to come as a scab team is to get a chance to play these good teams, so myself and the entire Something Ambiguous vote for round robin. If your intended goal is to play "good teams," presumably ones that are close to your team in skill level, I believe...
by sssssssskkkk
Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:06 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Where Will You Be Going to College Next Year? 2011-12
Replies: 86
Views: 31349

Re: Where Will You Be Going to College Next Year? 2011-12

California Institute of Technology, probably will play a non-zero amount of quizbowl.
by sssssssskkkk
Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:13 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Illinois NAQT State Championship @ Fenton HS, 2/25/2012
Replies: 22
Views: 5142

Re: Illinois NAQT State Championship @ Fenton HS, 2/25/2012

That's why you just skip ICTM Regionals for NAQT State and then go to ICTM State anyways.
by sssssssskkkk
Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:56 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Highest PP20TUH in a high school game
Replies: 11
Views: 2912

Re: Highest PP20TUH in a high school game

IMSA A vs. Buffalo Grove (770-15; 705-10 without powers) at 2011 ELEGANT on a power-marked GSAC with negs and no bounce-backs:
http://www.ihssbca.org/statistics/2011_ ... ail.php#t9
by sssssssskkkk
Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:58 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: RAVE @ Rockford Auburn, 2/4/12
Replies: 32
Views: 24065

Re: RAVE @ Rockford Auburn, 2/4/12

It'd be more appropriate to label the IMSA teams "IMSA B" (since 0 IMSA A players are playing this tournament and Anton/Sabrina are on that team) and "IMSA C."
by sssssssskkkk
Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:48 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Huskie Bowl at NIU 28 Jan 2012
Replies: 37
Views: 9749

Re: Huskie Bowl at NIU 28 Jan 2012

The main problem, aside from all of the problems and criticisms listed by previous posters, was that there were no replacement bonuses and only twelve packets in this set! Because there were so many repeated answer lines and repeated bonuses (word-for-word the same as another one earlier in the set)...
by sssssssskkkk
Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Huskie Bowl at NIU 28 Jan 2012
Replies: 37
Views: 9749

Re: Huskie Bowl at NIU 28 Jan 2012

I guess the Upper division could possibly run a double round robin + ACF finals for 12-14 rounds of play. Not sure how much people would like that idea or how well that would play out logistically, but it's a possibility. However, I don't exactly see how the lower division would run with 17 teams, a...
by sssssssskkkk
Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:06 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: On-going Season Rankings V2.0 - Herp Derp
Replies: 255
Views: 86815

Re: On-going Season Rankings V2.0 - so is this where i complain?

It might be useful to realize that the HFT mirror at Auburn's afternoon stats have been up for quite a while now. The combined stats are here. Also, the last two rounds (advantaged finals) played by IMSA and Auburn were on (harder) Finals packets.
by sssssssskkkk
Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:43 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: LIST II is looking for mirrors!
Replies: 18
Views: 11151

Re: LIST II is looking for mirrors!

So what distribution will these extra questions follow? Are they intended to be tiebreaker questions?
by sssssssskkkk
Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:31 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Harvard Fall Mirror at Rockford Auburn 12/3/11
Replies: 36
Views: 8843

Re: Harvard Fall Mirror at Rockford Auburn 12/3/11

jonah wrote:
sssssssskkkk wrote:Ah, 3 negs/game overall and 4 negs/game in the playoffs....

Not sure how we even managed to win 9 games playing like that... :shock:
Is this an error?

Edit: In the statistics, not your gameplay, I mean.
No, it's not an error in statistics. I was just amused.
by sssssssskkkk
Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:08 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Harvard Fall Mirror at Rockford Auburn 12/3/11
Replies: 36
Views: 8843

Re: Harvard Fall Mirror at Rockford Auburn 12/3/11

Ah, 3 negs/game overall and 4 negs/game in the playoffs....

Not sure how we even managed to win 9 games playing like that... :shock:
by sssssssskkkk
Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:09 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Harvard Fall Mirror at Rockford Auburn 12/3/11
Replies: 36
Views: 8843

Re: Harvard Fall Mirror at Rockford Auburn 12/3/11

Yeah I have sufficient data from IMSA A's matches to construct our statistics.
by sssssssskkkk
Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:52 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: On-going Season Rankings V2.0 - Herp Derp
Replies: 255
Views: 86815

Re: On-going Season Rankings V2.0

There should be separate rankings for teams that never actually had 4 player teams..like mine! >_> (or attended any events/placed well in any events that would warrant acknowledgement) The top teams play down 1-2 players all the time, and they still are able to cope with it. Missing players is a pa...
by sssssssskkkk
Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:36 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Illinois '11-'12
Replies: 211
Views: 38201

Re: Illinois '11-'12

In an attempt to not offend anyone unnecessarily (as many posts by those from IMSA have), I will only give my outlook on my team, with no ranking. IMSA: We return everyone on our A and "B" teams (although B team for us has a loose definition of Saieesh + Sabrina + whoever wants to play). I cover Chi...
by sssssssskkkk
Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:36 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Early Predictions for the Top "13" in 2011-2012?
Replies: 45
Views: 8294

Re: Early Predictions for the Top "13" in 2011-2012?

waddle1 wrote:IMSA - ...their somewhat disappointing 25th place finish at NSC.
Disappointing? Yes. :sad: Totally unexpected? No, considering we were missing half of our normal mACF A team that overlaps minimally and spreads out scoring relatively evenly.
by sssssssskkkk
Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:54 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 2010-11 NAQT IS sets: question-specific discussion
Replies: 135
Views: 20603

Re: 2010-11 NAQT IS sets: question-specific discussion

Dang, NAQT tossed up PKU? I'm pretty sure that came up as a hard bonus part at PACE.....
by sssssssskkkk
Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:17 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 2011 HSNCT discussion
Replies: 214
Views: 37801

Re: 2011 HSNCT discussion

Ah yeah that makes it less ambiguous. I guess if someone really wanted to be a pain in the neck they could buzz in and say "all cells with a nucleus" because MHC Class 1 is expressed by all nucleated cells to present antigens to T-cells...
by sssssssskkkk
Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:11 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 2011 HSNCT discussion
Replies: 214
Views: 37801

Re: 2011 HSNCT discussion

While watching the finals, I think there was a question about T cells which lead in with something along the lines of "these types of cells are helped by the major histocompatibility complex" - I feel like the answer at that point could also be any antigen presenting cell because the MHC does in fac...
by sssssssskkkk
Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:44 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: PACE NSC 2011: Quick recap and Thanks
Replies: 48
Views: 13104

Re: PACE NSC 2011: Quick recap and Thanks

Another error: Anish from Carbondale was not in fact present at this tournament, and should have no games played or tossups answered. I believe the 1/1 he ascribed to him in the playoffs are rightfully Prerak Trivedi's. On a similar note, Eric's (from IMSA) performance against Carbondale on Sunday ...
by sssssssskkkk
Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:34 pm
Forum: New High School Teams
Topic: My Problem With Studying for Quiz Bowl
Replies: 21
Views: 10064

Re: My Problem With Studying for Quiz Bowl

It is definitely important to have a team cover as many categories as possible, even if you have to pick up those categories yourself. However, I must agree with the Herb in the fact that when you lack competition on certain subjects in practice, you tend to feel as if you are much better than you ...
by sssssssskkkk
Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 2011 NSC Question Set Discussion
Replies: 82
Views: 12665

Re: 2011 NSC Question Set Discussion

This tournament did a pretty good job of keeping the bonus parts to not be binary (i.e. bonus parts with two possible obvious answers) so that its a 50/50 guess besides the bonus about plant bio that went cotyledon/monocot/ovary. The second part mentioned something about this type of angiosperm bein...
by sssssssskkkk
Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:44 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: On-going season rankings
Replies: 391
Views: 96769

Re: On-going season rankings

I just wanted to note that IMSA was missing one player each from ADVANTAGE (on GSAC), Loyola Ultima (on BATE), and MUT at Notre Dame, albeit they were not the same person each time.
by sssssssskkkk
Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:20 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Illinois '10 - '11
Replies: 296
Views: 59605

Re: Illinois '10 - '11

IMSA Regional start time: 5:30
End time: 9:15
Matches played: 3

o_o
by sssssssskkkk
Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:04 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Illinois '10 - '11
Replies: 296
Views: 59605

Re: Illinois '10 - '11

A central Illinois coach stated in coaches' meeting this morning that the reason the Masons use their weird format is because "it's what the people up in Chicago want." I'd like to know where that came from. On the subject of question quality, I didn't notice any improvement over last year, but I d...
by sssssssskkkk
Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:55 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: NIU Huskie Bowl 29 Jan 2011
Replies: 41
Views: 8633

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl 29 Jan 2011

Wait...for what exact reason was the Vanderbilt set ditched for the Dorman set?
by sssssssskkkk
Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:01 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Illinois '10 - '11
Replies: 296
Views: 59605

Re: Illinois '10 - '11

While NAQT may have its shortcomings in terms of the amount of good clues that can be fit into 3-4 line tossup as well as the excessive amounts of trash, CE (although I guess my bias against current events is that I'm absolutely horrendous at it), and geography (also, some of the questions are just ...
by sssssssskkkk
Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:47 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: On-going season rankings
Replies: 391
Views: 96769

Re: On-going season rankings

Chandragupta Maurya wrote:
Remember-the-Alamo-Remember-Goliad wrote:Well, the Dec. 4th Houston Hoedown at St. John's is now in the record books -- and Cistercian Prep had some nice results.
Stats for the aforementioned tournament can be found here: http://www.texasquizbowl.org/d/10hohoho ... dings.html
What set was this tournament run on?
by sssssssskkkk
Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:17 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Harvard Fall Mirror at Auburn (12/11/10)
Replies: 62
Views: 11583

Re: Harvard Fall Mirror at Auburn (12/11/10)

Seven Lakes is going to be here?? This should be interesting.
by sssssssskkkk
Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:43 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: IMSANITY Distribution Discussion
Replies: 59
Views: 18091

Re: Looking for mirrors: IMSANITY

Are you people seriously suggesting that Mathematics is not science? Did you hit your head falling down that rabbit hole? :shock: Well then... Mathematics is a science, but if you really think about it, there are many distinct fields of study that are sciences. The study of history is science. Psyc...
by sssssssskkkk
Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:27 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: IMSANITY Distribution Discussion
Replies: 59
Views: 18091

Re: Looking for mirrors: IMSANITY

There's way more overlap between math and all areas of science that you realize, first of all. Even fields of mathematics that you wouldn't ordinary think had some kind of application (like group theory or topology) are regularly used in physics, chemistry, and even biology. The things studied in m...
by sssssssskkkk
Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:41 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: IMSANITY Distribution Discussion
Replies: 59
Views: 18091

Re: Looking for mirrors: IMSANITY

While this tournament is rather innovative in its distribution, it's not necessarily a totally "bad" distribution. As Mr. Reinstein pointed out, a considerable amount of high school classes are dedicated to math, and thus a distribution that includes more math is not totally unreasonable. As a matte...
by sssssssskkkk
Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:43 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Science
Replies: 15
Views: 4219

Re: Science

Well, there's a pretty large difference between quizbowl science and "real" science, IMO. You could read the Campbell-Reece AP Biology book like a bible like one of my friends does, but still get beaten on biology because someone else decided to go on Wikipedia and look up random names associated wi...
by sssssssskkkk
Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:36 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Illinois '10 - '11
Replies: 296
Views: 59605

Re: Illinois '10 - '11

Congratulations to Auburn on winning the Wheaton North Kickoffs!
by sssssssskkkk
Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:51 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Northwestern University "Wake Up Call" (10/16/2010)
Replies: 100
Views: 114181

Re: Northwestern University "Wake Up Call" (10/16/2010)

Props to Loyola for coming back and taking down both IMSA's to take the championship.
by sssssssskkkk
Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:42 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Northwestern University "Wake Up Call" (10/16/2010)
Replies: 100
Views: 114181

Re: Northwestern University "Wake Up Call" (10/16/2010)

Nice nice my man Nolan's IMSA A is 3-0 and so is the sophomore IMSA B.
Keep it up IMSA!
by sssssssskkkk
Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:29 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Illinois '10 - '11
Replies: 296
Views: 59605

Re: Illinois '10 - '11

Going off of QBPackets, why not TJ Naren, UMD Spring, or UGA CCC?
by sssssssskkkk
Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:11 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Illinois '10 - '11
Replies: 296
Views: 59605

Re: Illinois '10 - '11

Since I'm really board and have nothing better to do, I might as well talk about IMSA, even if we do suck at quizbowl. So this year we lose our beloved Bonny Jain. Thus, we are forced to rebuild with several nubbers: Bayo Bankole (senior) - Leads the team in negs, but will do well on history (knows ...
by sssssssskkkk
Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:52 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Illinois '10 - '11
Replies: 296
Views: 59605

Re: Illinois '10 - '11

It seems like at this point last year there was a lot more discussion/predictions and stuff in Illinois thread than this one...
So I feel like someone more qualified than I should start talking about something relating to quizbowl of the Illinois 2010-2011 variety.
by sssssssskkkk
Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:39 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Pre-Nationals Poll
Replies: 58
Views: 9585

Re: Pre-Nationals Poll

When are the stats for NSC going to be up? I'd be interested to take a look.
by sssssssskkkk
Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:10 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: ACE camp.
Replies: 21
Views: 3173

Re: ACE camp.

Hmm, would you say that ACE camp is good for just quizbowl or would you say it could help someone learn extensively about a certain topic?
Also, what is the level of difficulty (in terms of quizbowl) of the classes/topics that are taught?
by sssssssskkkk
Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:53 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Pre-Nationals Poll
Replies: 58
Views: 9585

Re: Pre-Nationals Poll

KHAAAAN please wrote:So the question is, which one of these guys also attends LPHS?
Hmmm I wonder what our IPs are?
by sssssssskkkk
Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:24 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Pre-Nationals Poll
Replies: 58
Views: 9585

Re: Pre-Nationals Poll

I'm pretty sure all the good quizbowl programs of Illinois will be able to acquire and cultivate new quiz bowl players that can replace leaving seniors...it's all about how good the replacements are. Yes. High schools in Illinois do get new students after seniors graduate. We call them "freshmen." ...
by sssssssskkkk
Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:59 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Music Theory Help
Replies: 11
Views: 3700

Re: Music Theory Help

I'm a musician, and I power a lot of music tossups just because I'm familiar with the pieces. I suggest just listening to them, or playing them if you're a musician. Reading an article or two about them can also help. I agree that being a musician and playing lots of pieces will help in quiz bowl, ...
by sssssssskkkk
Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:55 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Pre-Nationals Poll
Replies: 58
Views: 9585

Re: Pre-Nationals Poll

I'm pretty sure all the good quizbowl programs of Illinois will be able to acquire and cultivate new quiz bowl players that can replace leaving seniors...it's all about how good the replacements are.