Search found 793 matches

by Ike
Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:38 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Scattergories (February 2017)
Replies: 20
Views: 9584

Re: Scattergories (February 2017)

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:I'm down to play this. Don't expect me to buzz on much.
Fixed the obvious typo.

I'm down to play this too.
by Ike
Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:46 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: PB 2016: Specific Question Discussion
Replies: 82
Views: 11402

Re: PB 2016: Specific Question Discussion

I agree that the Ursell's clue is less suggestive / harder than the blowholes clue, and I've swapped them out already. But I really can't understand the substance of the pneumatic clue - it makes sense to talk about the pneumatic behavior of waves, and in fact it's not such an uncommon term - my tex...
by Ike
Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:30 pm
Forum: Collegiate Discussion
Topic: Packet submission
Replies: 15
Views: 5852

Re: Packet submission

Cheynem wrote:How many packets does ICT require?
18
by Ike
Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:30 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: PB 2016: General Discussion
Replies: 23
Views: 4147

Re: PB 2016: General Discussion

I would hardly think of mocking Jordan, and I do think his overall point is (presumably) fine. However, he offered some inaccurate points to support his argument on this Hugo piece, and I wanted to clarify them, my broader point being that sometimes there are seemingly hard or obscure things that a...
by Ike
Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:21 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: PB 2016: General Discussion
Replies: 23
Views: 4147

Re: PB 2016: General Discussion

One of my least favorite trends in quizbowl discussion is trying to dig on the specifics of an overall point, especially when the conclusion is valid! By which I mean, I think Jordan has a very good argument about this tournament's literature, and that he chose some examples that I disagree with, bu...
by Ike
Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:45 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: It's Lit
Replies: 48
Views: 23351

Re: It's Lit

Since it's apparently too much to ask people to trust my deep understanding of and connection with the playing field, here is my heuristic for team permissibility: I mentally sort good literature players into four tiers of increasing size. A handful of people make up Tier 1 and Tier 2. I won't allo...
by Ike
Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:23 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: Penn Bowl 2016 (10/22/16)
Replies: 54
Views: 29889

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Penn Bowl 2016 (10/22/16)

I doubt anyone is taking a high schooler's claims seriously, but there is a jab at the question quality from someone who doesn't really know anything: while there are certainly variable bonuses in this set (as you can find in any set!), and some of the tossups do have problems, it's certainly not so...
by Ike
Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:17 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: PB 2016: Specific Question Discussion
Replies: 82
Views: 11402

Re: PB 2016: Specific Question Discussion

I don't see how shorelines is at any point acceptable. Especially on the berms clue. Can someone post it please? While I really have no interest in defending this tossup, I will point out that it's a contradiction to suggest "this tossup was so transparent to everybody" and then to immediately say s...
by Ike
Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:45 am
Forum: College area archives
Topic: PB 2016: Specific Question Discussion
Replies: 82
Views: 11402

Re: PB 2016: Specific Question Discussion

Ewan MacAulay wrote:Our team negged the "decryption" tossup with "factorisation" on the clue about Shor's algorithm - could the clue made more specific?
Sorry that has been fixed. I missed that earlier.
by Ike
Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:11 am
Forum: College area archives
Topic: EFT 2016: Specific Question Discussion
Replies: 63
Views: 8518

Re: Specific Question Discussion

Sorry I've been away from this for a while. The answer line should definitely include other answers like "logic expressions" or "logic circuits", since these are also common terms for the same thing in this context. No, you're wrong. In particular, all of these algorithms only work if the logic exp...
by Ike
Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:53 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: EFT 2016: Specific Question Discussion
Replies: 63
Views: 8518

Re: Specific Question Discussion

Sorry I've been away from this for a while. The answer line should definitely include other answers like "logic expressions" or "logic circuits", since these are also common terms for the same thing in this context. No, you're wrong. In particular, all of these algorithms only work if the logic expr...
by Ike
Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:13 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: EFT 2016: Specific Question Discussion
Replies: 63
Views: 8518

Re: Specific Question Discussion

15. In Sam Lloyd’s treatise about the “eighth book” of these objects, he presents a paradox involving two monks of similar size made of these objects, one of which has a leg, the other of which does not. The Western counterpart to these objects are called the stomachion, which are used to complete ...
by Ike
Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:53 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: EFT 2016: Specific Question Discussion
Replies: 63
Views: 8518

Re: Specific Question Discussion

1/ One of my teammates buzzed in with "magic" for the alchemy tossup at the Hermes Trismegistus clue; should the tossup have a prompt on that? Obviously, all of the previous clues point unambiguously to alchemy, but I was wondering if alchemy should be considered a subset of magic. Possibly, but th...
by Ike
Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:18 pm
Forum: Collegiate Discussion
Topic: A few computer science questions reviewed
Replies: 3
Views: 3259

Re: A few computer science questions reviewed

I disagree with a lot of these critiques, and I really don't see the point of this thread. Quizbowl is rife with simplifications, and thats OK and by design. I don't know what the original poster's intention here is, but at least one of these critiques, and maybe more, are made just "for fun." Well,...
by Ike
Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:50 am
Forum: Quizbowl History Forum
Topic: Greatest Upsets in Quizbowl History
Replies: 58
Views: 35027

Re: Greatest Upsets in Quizbowl History

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:(And also to summarize my favorite upset that I've been involved in: beating Weiner, Ted, Eric, and Cody at KABO. But I decided against that, since it would just have been an account of which tossups we got, and how angry Ted and Weiner got.)
Don't let that stop you!
by Ike
Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:23 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion
Replies: 57
Views: 21377

Re: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion

The point of this scheme is to collect money the week before the tournament so that come tournament day, we can get started ASAP, and not spend 30 minutes (1 round!) of time moping around. I hope you can pay me by Venmo. If you can't, please have your teammate or someone else pay for me. It would be...
by Ike
Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:18 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion
Replies: 57
Views: 21377

Re: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion

Yeah, and I don't plan on implementing / even thinking of a plan unless we need one because I'm not too happy about the idea. To be clear, the arguments I heard about restricted field size were a combination of 1.) I want to be able to hear the packet we wrote and 2.) We should try to have more comp...
by Ike
Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:45 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion
Replies: 57
Views: 21377

Re: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion

Cheynem wrote:Would the idea be to cap the field size at CO? How would you determine who should be allowed to play?
I don't want to get down this path unless it's what people really want. Someone will get hurt and I see no reason to create any hard feelings unless we have to.
by Ike
Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:04 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion
Replies: 57
Views: 21377

Re: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion

This is a terrible scheme to implement at ACF Fall and don't do it. I don't think anyone is saying that we should, but just in case someone is suggesting that, don't do it. I too am sympathetic Eliza's point - the problem of this scheme alienating new teams. To clarify, I don't think that the issue ...
by Ike
Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:05 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion
Replies: 57
Views: 21377

Re: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion

Thanks for the feedback so far. The high level summary of my post is that I'm going to be implementing a discount policy based on quality of submissions whether you like it or not. The implementation details are up for debate but due to some of the excellent points the posters in this thread have br...
by Ike
Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:22 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion
Replies: 57
Views: 21377

Packet Discount Policy for Chicago Open Discussion

As you may have heard, I'm head editing this year's Chicago Open. For this year's iteration of our deathmatch, I want to introduce a policy of some sort that will incentivize quality submissions. Because the proposal below is somewhat radical, I wanted to discuss it and get people's various thoughts...
by Ike
Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:40 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: ARTSEE 2016: Specific Question Discussion & Review Requests
Replies: 35
Views: 3515

Re: Specific Question Discussion and Review Requests

To pile onto what Rob said: If I were editing this particular clue for any tournament, I would have re-arranged it to be less negbaity. Will, I've blasted you many times for writing questions that are not entirely player friendly, such as the "British Empire" tossup, and I think this type of attitud...
by Ike
Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:29 am
Forum: Quizbowl History Forum
Topic: Your Travel Disaster Stories
Replies: 51
Views: 28769

Re: Your Travel Disaster Stories

There are two travel stories that merit note in this thread, though I don't remember all the details of either. Illinois sent 3 teams to the 2009 SCT at Indiana Univeristy. For many reasons, this was one of the worst tournaments I ever played, but I'll stick to the travel part of it here. I awoke a...
by Ike
Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:47 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: ARTSEE 2016: Specific Question Discussion & Review Requests
Replies: 35
Views: 3515

Re: Specific Question Discussion and Review Requests

I made that same neg, as you might remember, but I don't think it's the fault of the question - buzzing in on the assumption that the clue's talking about the most famous Nochlin work involves taking a risk. Still, it's true that a fuller description might have been more helpful (since I have actua...
by Ike
Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:44 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: ARTSEE 2016: Specific Question Discussion & Review Requests
Replies: 35
Views: 3515

Re: Specific Question Discussion and Review Requests

In brief, this (which I may not have made entirely clear in said initial post): I didn't originate the use of "they" and explicitly told writers to use alternatives; when I did find instances of "they" used as an identifier (or edited by others into questions), I weeded them out, but I wasn't able ...
by Ike
Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:54 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: The 10-Point Shootout (NBA Vanity Tournament)
Replies: 36
Views: 13413

Re: The 10-Point Shootout (NBA Vanity Tournament)

I read the the game Tejas went off. He went 13-2-2. Joe Nutter went 2-0-0. Tejas and Joe Nutter powered every tossup in the second half over Chris Ray.

Ike
by Ike
Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:02 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: ARTSEE 2016: Specific Question Discussion & Review Requests
Replies: 35
Views: 3515

Re: Specific Question Discussion and Review Requests

York negged the female nudes tossup with "women artists" on the namedrop of Nochlin, I think. He probably just brain farted the pronoun, but it makes me curious to see the wording of the question. Could you post it? Did the same thing here. I'd like to see this as well. _________ I just want to tak...
by Ike
Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:32 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Eternal Sonata discussion
Replies: 2
Views: 1732

Re: Eternal Sonata discussion

Okay, So thank you so much for writing this. I have been wanting to play one of these for a while, and this exceeded expectations. I'll begin by saying that we agreed to have no negs, but you were still locked out after interrupting, at the main site for this tournament, which I think was a wise dec...
by Ike
Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:48 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Side Event Weekend 2016 (Michigan) 8/5-8/7
Replies: 34
Views: 14657

Re: Side Event Weekend 2016 (Michigan) 8/5-8/7

This was a lot of fun - just a reminder that quizbowl is a lot more fun without that biology crap.
Sid Dogra: 0
Also don't forget that Sid didn't win his first game until Sunday.
by Ike
Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:04 am
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Eternal Sonata (video game music)
Replies: 23
Views: 8562

Re: Eternal Sonata (video game music)

A+. This was a lot of fun. I may have feedback, but I'll email you guys about it. Again, this was great!
by Ike
Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:23 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: NHBB, the Community, and the Forums
Replies: 27
Views: 11539

Re: NHBB, the Community, and the Forums

Auks Ran Ova wrote:We are indeed discussing this at the moment, and have been for days.
Is there a place where various members of the community who are not board staff can publicly or privately drop off their two-cents?
by Ike
Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:49 pm
Forum: Collegiate Discussion
Topic: Abolish The Mythology Category (Or Reduce & Revamp It)
Replies: 22
Views: 9152

Re: Abolish The Mythology Category (Or Reduce & Revamp It)

No it's not obviously ridiculous. If you allow say, Greek myth 8/8 per a tournament and QM 2/2, Greek myth takes up more space question per question than QM. And that's not even taking into account the fact that textbooks have diagrams, pictures, appendices, introductions, and indices, and good ol' ...
by Ike
Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:49 pm
Forum: Collegiate Discussion
Topic: Abolish The Mythology Category (Or Reduce & Revamp It)
Replies: 22
Views: 9152

Re: Abolish The Mythology Category (Or Reduce & Revamp It)

Regarding distributional tweaking as a whole, I think people should be quite careful how and when they apply it. In particular, the idea that "each tournament is only one tournament" is not exactly true; some tournaments (like each year's big spring open, for example) are much more reasonable to tw...
by Ike
Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:19 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Would You Recommend Working for NHBB?
Replies: 75
Views: 40643

Re: Would You Recommend Working for NHBB?

So I've been reading this thread for a while now with a mixture of amusement, horror, and wonder, and I want to separate out the comments in this thread into two specific sets of problems: Set 1: stuff about poor question quality, poor pay rates, flying out of incompetent moderators, etc. I think th...
by Ike
Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:09 am
Forum: Collegiate Discussion
Topic: Do We Want/Need More Computer Stuff Per Round?
Replies: 13
Views: 4024

Re: Do We Want/Need More Computer Stuff Per Round?

Oh man, there's so much to talk about in this thread, but I'll try to keep it short. I think there is room in quizbowl for asking more about computery things. I don't necessarily think it has to come out of the science distribution since a lot of these topics aren't really about science. These topic...
by Ike
Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:49 pm
Forum: Collegiate Discussion
Topic: The Barbarism of Specialization
Replies: 13
Views: 4596

Re: The Barbarism of Specialization

I'm really only approaching this from a generalist perspective. I get Isaac's point about ~The American Beaver~, but I think we as a game have largely moved pass asking about the same old musty tomes over and over again - or at least if we have they are done much more sparingly. My overall point is ...
by Ike
Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:48 pm
Forum: Collegiate Discussion
Topic: The Barbarism of Specialization
Replies: 13
Views: 4596

The Barbarism of Specialization

Put another way, my point is that myth gets a ton of exposure in real life. What Thinker A at University B wrote about Topic C in Book D with Topic C in its title, on the other hand, does not. I don't see why we should quantify how much exposure of a category there should be based on the entire pos...
by Ike
Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:52 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Chicago Open 2016 Set Discussion
Replies: 110
Views: 34753

Re: Chicago Open 2016 Set Discussion

I'm going to side with Stephen Liu on this myth debacle. I've written Lord knows how many mythology questions and I just don't feel that it's really that stale, or at least, stale enough to the point where we need to devote a significant chunk of mythology to mythography. Also, I'm not sure about yo...
by Ike
Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:30 pm
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Chicago Open 2016 Set Discussion
Replies: 110
Views: 34753

Re: Chicago Open 2016 Set Discussion

stuff about matroids I'm going to go out on a limb here and actually defend the idea of this question. I had encountered matroids and have clued them before, so this tossup didn't strike me as that hard. I'm not sure if I would write a whole tossup on them, but I probably would make it a hard / med...
by Ike
Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:09 am
Forum: College area archives
Topic: Chicago Open Trash 2016 (July 24, 2016)
Replies: 131
Views: 57825

Re: Chicago Open Trash 2016 (July 24, 2016)

Definitely the best general trash set I have ever played! I had a lot of fun, whatever you guys did, do it again!
by Ike
Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:45 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Writing Good History Questions
Replies: 35
Views: 16162

Re: Writing Good History Questions

it is fine to toss up these things (because they are obviously things worth knowing in this form), you just should add "Composer and genre required" tags, be generally mindful of the fact that these questions are harder to follow, and tailor your clues accordingly, rather than just going "These are...
by Ike
Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:45 pm
Forum: Best of the Best
Topic: Writing Good History Questions
Replies: 35
Views: 14327

Re: Writing Good History Questions

it is fine to toss up these things (because they are obviously things worth knowing in this form), you just should add "Composer and genre required" tags, be generally mindful of the fact that these questions are harder to follow, and tailor your clues accordingly, rather than just going "These are...
by Ike
Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:55 am
Forum: Theory
Topic: Writing Good History Questions
Replies: 35
Views: 16162

Re: Writing Good History Questions

I think it's a little silly to accuse Naveed of being somehow "disingenuous", but it is worth noting that sometimes bad and/or new teams are confused by multi-part answerlines, or answerlines more complicated than a single noun... I certainly don't think it's silly -- Naveed maintains that: The onl...
by Ike
Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:55 am
Forum: Best of the Best
Topic: Writing Good History Questions
Replies: 35
Views: 14327

Re: Writing Good History Questions

I think it's a little silly to accuse Naveed of being somehow "disingenuous", but it is worth noting that sometimes bad and/or new teams are confused by multi-part answerlines, or answerlines more complicated than a single noun... I certainly don't think it's silly -- Naveed maintains that: The onl...
by Ike
Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:58 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Writing Good History Questions
Replies: 35
Views: 16162

Re: Writing Good History Questions

Okay here's some data: 2012 ICT had a tossup on Haydn string quartets that went like so: ...The "Sun" and (*) "Erd\"ody" [air-DOH-dee] groups of these pieces were written while their composer was employed by the Esterh\'azys. For 10 points--name these chamber works by the composer of the {~Farewell~...
by Ike
Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:58 pm
Forum: Best of the Best
Topic: Writing Good History Questions
Replies: 35
Views: 14327

Re: Writing Good History Questions

Okay here's some data: 2012 ICT had a tossup on Haydn string quartets that went like so: ...The "Sun" and (*) "Erd\"ody" [air-DOH-dee] groups of these pieces were written while their composer was employed by the Esterh\'azys. For 10 points--name these chamber works by the composer of the {~Farewell~...
by Ike
Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:32 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Writing Good History Questions
Replies: 35
Views: 16162

Re: Writing Good History Questions

Okay so I think this post has some interesting points, but I'm not sure if I get all of it. You say that bad history questions consist of a sentence structure akin to “In this country, Horrible Massacre M was perpetrated by Secret Police P during the reign of Dictator D.” “In this country, Operation...
by Ike
Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:32 pm
Forum: Best of the Best
Topic: Writing Good History Questions
Replies: 35
Views: 14327

Re: Writing Good History Questions

Okay so I think this post has some interesting points, but I'm not sure if I get all of it. You say that bad history questions consist of a sentence structure akin to “In this country, Horrible Massacre M was perpetrated by Secret Police P during the reign of Dictator D.” “In this country, Operation...
by Ike
Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:09 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Writing Good History Questions
Replies: 35
Views: 16162

Re: Writing Good History Questions

I've elaborated upon this before , so I'll be brief: I agree with pretty much everything this thread says. In particular, themed questions are great, and everybody should write them. However, I am still suspicious of "creative" answer lines (creative questions are fine and good, of course). Even th...
by Ike
Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:09 pm
Forum: Best of the Best
Topic: Writing Good History Questions
Replies: 35
Views: 14327

Re: Writing Good History Questions

I've elaborated upon this before , so I'll be brief: I agree with pretty much everything this thread says. In particular, themed questions are great, and everybody should write them. However, I am still suspicious of "creative" answer lines (creative questions are fine and good, of course). Even th...