Search found 455 matches

by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun May 22, 2011 10:21 am
Forum: Miscellaneous High School Quizbowl
Topic: All videos of Quiz Bowl
Replies: 206
Views: 137808

Re: All videos of Quiz Bowl

I don't know if this has been posted yet; but here's a quiz bowl show in central Michigan that has a TU/B faction: http://wkar.org/quizbusters/

Video of a match: http://wkar.org/quizbusters/program/2263/
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Wed May 11, 2011 10:36 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: BATE Discussion
Replies: 2
Views: 908

Re: BATE Discussion

I think packet 1 bonus #5 was the best sports bonus I've seen all year, at least because I've been waiting for it forever to see and hear it. Vivid memory of O'Neal and Artest fighting Rasheed and the fans in Auburn Hills.
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Wed May 11, 2011 10:19 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 2011 NAQT HSNCT: May 27-29: Congratulations State College!
Replies: 112
Views: 34599

Re: 2011 NAQT HSNCT: May 27-29, Atlanta

Will there be a Twitter feed for this event? #justcurious
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Tue May 10, 2011 3:36 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: It's Academic discussion
Replies: 50
Views: 14268

Re: All videos of Quiz Bowl

Out of curiosity, what is the prize for winning It's Academic (DC)? Aside from bragging rights, is there a monetary award for the school or scholarship awarding?
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Mon May 09, 2011 7:16 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: It's Academic discussion
Replies: 50
Views: 14268

It's Academic discussion

Didn't go through all the pages, however having seen some of the It's Academic (DC) tapings on YouTube, I must say even though the format probably isn't the best, I absolutely admire the glamour and the overall atmosphere of the show. I wouldn't mind personally playing on it at least once just to ha...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun May 08, 2011 10:23 am
Forum: Middle school area archives
Topic: 2011 NAQT MSNCT
Replies: 59
Views: 20095

Re: 2011 NAQT MSNCT

This is pretty accurate. While kids are not required to go to LASA after Kealing, most do. I know from talking to them that everybody at MSNCT right now for Kealing intends to come to LASA. Man, i hate to be That Guy, but... that is just not fair. It definitely sucks from an outsider's perspective ...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:57 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 2010-2011 Pre-Nationals Poll
Replies: 12
Views: 2875

Re: 2010-2011 Pre-Nationals Poll

Out of curiosity, what nationals competition is being referred to this poll? NSC? HSNCT? Or is it just supposed to be like a "this is how we expect team X to do and finish at whatever nationals competition they go to" poll?
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:03 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Are certain categories likely to produce difficulty cliffs?
Replies: 33
Views: 4502

Re: Are certain categories likely to produce difficulty cliffs?

I know this might not be true in all cases, but I would add that the possibility exists specifically in Geography questions that there is a "distancing factor" that makes such questions more challenging for some teams than other categories. At least in my part of the country, Human Geography and Wo...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:13 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Are certain categories likely to produce difficulty cliffs?
Replies: 33
Views: 4502

Re: Are certain categories likely to produce difficulty cliffs?

I think going back to the comments about sets for Canada and The U.K., couldn't in theory sets be written specifically for Canada and The U.K.? Not necessarily for Geography, but for History and Sports...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:18 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Fundraising?
Replies: 12
Views: 2537

Re: Fundraising?

Get local businesses to sponsor you & print their logos on a t-shirt you'll wear. This is an excellent idea. In a league we play in Suburban Columbus, there is a school of about 700 whose Academic team is sponsored (I think in full) by the Rotary Club and they have the insignias on the shirts and t...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:14 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Are certain categories likely to produce difficulty cliffs?
Replies: 33
Views: 4502

Re: Are certain categories likely to produce difficulty cliffs?

Out of curiosity, in NAQT geography tossups is preference given to states that are less populated? I recall in ordinate amount of tossups on the Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, etc. I'm pretty fine at geography but, honestly, there's no way I'm going to power South Dakota. NAQT doesn't write great US Geog...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:46 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Are certain categories likely to produce difficulty cliffs?
Replies: 33
Views: 4502

Re: Are certain categories likely to produce difficulty cliffs?

Your speaking in Greek to me here, I don't quite catch the whole distribution idea, but I agree there might be too much Geography relative to the philosophy. Personally, I think NAQT can do away with the sports (and I'm someone who powers sports questions, esp. football pretty much all the time).
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:45 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Are certain categories likely to produce difficulty cliffs?
Replies: 33
Views: 4502

Re: Are certain categories likely to produce difficulty cliffs?

I'm not really following the argument here. Are people saying there should be less Geography questions because of how hard the questions are or how easy they are? I've powered three Geography questions this year and two of those I got because of real knowledge I had, having either been there or lear...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:51 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: On-going season rankings
Replies: 391
Views: 100430

Re: On-going season rankings

As an English literature teacher, perhaps 'irony' is not the best term to summarize the situation. After all, rankings are a matter of facts, are they not? Aren't rankings a function of number-crunching and stats, if memory serves me correctly? Stating a team's limitations and experiences in a give...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:40 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Mirroring and Collaborating for Fall 2011
Replies: 27
Views: 5282

Re: Mirroring and Collaborating for Fall 2011

jdd2007 wrote:Ohio State will be writing a high school tournament, and we are interested in finding schools to mirror our set.
Stupid question; will this be used at OSU Fall or OSU Winter (or GBAM3?).
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:48 pm
Forum: Databases and Quizbowl Software
Topic: Torrey Pines Quizbowl Database
Replies: 108
Views: 83474

Re: Torrey Pines Quizbowl Database

Coldblueberry wrote:Yay Sharad.

Did someone mention the fact that the "All" box remains checked even when you select a specific option? It's just a small detail.
De-check it.
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:21 pm
Forum: Databases and Quizbowl Software
Topic: Torrey Pines Quizbowl Database
Replies: 108
Views: 83474

Re: Torrey Pines Quizbowl Database

I noticed a new tab today - Score Tracker - and created an account. What features will it have? I know people had mentioned tracking buzz location and similar things... Whoops, didn't mean to upload that yet. It's not working, but I'm working on it. I plan to add a system of logging in, tracking wh...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:05 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Fundraising?
Replies: 12
Views: 2537

Re: Fundraising?

Hosting academic tournaments (and probably not planning to use a house team might be ideal for the sake of gaining more $$$) from what I've seen are good ways to get money if there is no funding at all. Whatever money you get from the school is great, considering many schools don't get money at all ...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:46 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Multiple Answers to a Tossup?
Replies: 7
Views: 1625

Re: Multiple Answers to a Tossup?

Because I don't believe is cleared(I hope this isn't revealing much), there was a question that had an issue with missing answer lines. A question had a leadin about country a (the tossup was about country b, which is specific to country a) and the first clue only stated country and the answer our o...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:52 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: North Carolina 2010-2011
Replies: 53
Views: 8551

Re: North Carolina 2010-2011

Whoa those are some of the weirdest stats I've seen. I can't figure out how to read the Individual pages. They posted the total point value instead of the number of questions answered. So what reads "15" under the 15 column equates to 1 power, "30" under the 15 column equates to 2 powers, "45" unde...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:52 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: "This makes me feel stupid. I don't think i'm coming back."
Replies: 74
Views: 20618

Re: "This makes me feel stupid. I don't think i'm coming back."

As someone who is relatively new to the quiz bowl community, I'd like to share my story and thoughts. When I was in the 7th grade, my family was looking at potential high schools for me to go to. When we first visited Fisher Catholic, we saw the OAC (please do not question the "legitimacy" of our sy...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:54 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: OAC Talk
Replies: 41
Views: 4909

Re: OAC Talk

I do wonder if some of OAC's regional distribution problems could be solved by consolidating to four regions. I'd be interested to see the population distribution of the six existing regions. If it consolidated to four regions, we might actually see less applications considering there might be long...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:54 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: OAC Talk
Replies: 41
Views: 4909

Re: OAC Talk

3rd quote - Yes there are distributions for trash/current events in TU/B, however I would be willing to bet considering how many more questions there are in an OAC packet than a TU/B packet, that the trash/current events distribution would be higher in OAC than TU/B. In the OAC tournaments I've bee...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: OAC Talk
Replies: 41
Views: 4909

Re: OAC Talk

Isaacbh wrote:I think the real question here is, what is it that makes the Rhode Island Quiz League so much better than tossup/bonus formats?
Where did I say OAC was better than TU/B?
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:41 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: OAC Talk
Replies: 41
Views: 4909

Re: OAC Talk

I appreciate what Fred does and I'll continue to appreciate his rankings. He puts a lot of time and effort into this. This is the one reasons I don't like polls: Someone is always going to call foul because they feel they got shafted. Maybe that school isn't top 100 worthy in the first place, not t...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:07 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Ohio '10 - '11
Replies: 62
Views: 11095

Re: Ohio '10 - '11

And to add, nothing against the teams which did make the Championship bracket, but Brush is also a good team. Not up to the level of the big state powers, but had their bus not gone to the wrong campus where they had to forfeit their first 3 matches, they could have made a lot more noise. I agree c...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:52 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: OAC Talk
Replies: 41
Views: 4909

Re: On-going season rankings

Maybe my personal opinion about OAC is slightly biased because my school is one of the biggest OAC thresholds in Ohio, Okay. I'm just going to assume that you mean Stronghold. however I think it can be compromised that the main difference between OAC and tu/b is that knowledge of essentially all th...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: OAC Talk
Replies: 41
Views: 4909

Re: On-going season rankings

Yeah, OAC sucks and is meaningless. Better than Chip bowl and TV shows. Fortunately those don't have their own state championship tournaments. What's your point? Bad quizbowl is bad quizbowl. OAC when well written is not bad quizbowl though. I very strongly believe that this year's set will be cons...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: OAC Talk
Replies: 41
Views: 4909

Re: On-going season rankings

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Yeah, OAC sucks and is meaningless.
Better than Chip bowl and TV shows.
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:19 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: OAC Talk
Replies: 41
Views: 4909

OAC Talk

I appreciate what Fred does and I'll continue to appreciate his rankings. He puts a lot of time and effort into this. This is the one reasons I don't like polls: Someone is always going to call foul because they feel they got shafted. Maybe that school isn't top 100 worthy in the first place, not th...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:51 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: On-going season rankings
Replies: 391
Views: 100430

Re: On-going season rankings

I think you mean to say they have depth. I don't think Lisle has been fully tested yet since in Illinois, they're at least a tier below Carbondale, and more than a tier below IMSA, Ig, Loyola, OPRF, Stevenson, and Auburn. They almost never choke as favorites (to my knowledge, they've only lost to N...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:24 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: On-going season rankings
Replies: 391
Views: 100430

Re: On-going season rankings

Mewto55555 wrote:
CavsFan2k10 wrote: Diverse, maybe?
Lack of diversity is a big problem in quizbowl, good for them!
Diversity in numbers, not a different type of diversity I think your insinuating.
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:49 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: On-going season rankings
Replies: 391
Views: 100430

Re: On-going season rankings

They are very divine. huh? Also from having seen Lisle play almost the entire year, I can say with confidence that they are a very good team, definitely having a good shot at the small school title. I didn't use the right word, I'm trying to say that it's not like their a one man team (actually Roc...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:33 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: On-going season rankings
Replies: 391
Views: 100430

Re: On-going season rankings

Camp Hill @ #72 is a good choice. Having played them at Battle of the Burgh, they were a very balanced and quick team. Them and Rocky Grove (PA) will definitely be a contender for the Small School title. Over Lisle and George Mason? I think not. Lisle and George Mason are really good, however I wil...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:07 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: On-going season rankings
Replies: 391
Views: 100430

Re: On-going season rankings

Camp Hill @ #72 is a good choice. Having played them at Battle of the Burgh, they were a very balanced and quick team. Them and Rocky Grove (PA) will definitely be a contender for the Small School title.
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:35 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Let's talk about pseudonyms again
Replies: 95
Views: 20736

Re: Let's talk about pseudonyms again

I agree with the reasons for using pseudonyms. When we go to Battle of the Burgh (A tournament we've been going to for I don't know how long), it is a four hour drive and a van ride creates a ton of camaraderie, however one of the funnest things we like about this tournament is the pseudonym game. A...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:10 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: NHB Regional @ St. Anselm's Abbey School - 4/4/2011
Replies: 18
Views: 3019

Re: NHB Regional @ St. Anselm's Abbey School - 4/4/2011

No, you can come later. But the Bee will go quick, as we're just doing 2 prelim rounds. And it's included in the price for all students on teams in the Bowl. Full disclosure: there will also be] an alternate qualifier for the Nationals Bee. Was there a reason it cost $10 per player at Ohio State in...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:44 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Ohio '10 - '11
Replies: 62
Views: 11095

Re: Ohio '10 - '11

After today's State Championship, who would say the strong field and performance would be a testament that Ohio quiz bowl is at it's prime? This is all considering the fact there were seven top 100 teams in the nation present, in addition to Tipp and Fisher Catholic, who both qualified for the HSNCT...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:35 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 2011 NAQT HSNCT: May 27-29: Congratulations State College!
Replies: 112
Views: 34599

Re: 2011 NAQT HSNCT: May 27-29, Atlanta

The same can be said for attractions, with Turner Field , the Georgia Aquarium, the CNN Center, Coca Cola World, and Centennial Olympic Park all being within walking distance. Is Atlanta a very walkable city? The field is two miles from the hotel according to Mapquest. but some cities are either ve...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:06 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: 2011 NAQT HSNCT: May 27-29: Congratulations State College!
Replies: 112
Views: 34599

Re: 2011 NAQT HSNCT: May 27-29, Atlanta

The same can be said for attractions, with Turner Field , the Georgia Aquarium, the CNN Center, Coca Cola World, and Centennial Olympic Park all being within walking distance. Is Atlanta a very walkable city? The field is two miles from the hotel according to Mapquest. but some cities are either ve...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:09 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Southeastern Academic Challenge (GA) 3/19/2011
Replies: 19
Views: 5901

Re: Southeastern Academic Challenge (GA) 3/19/2011

List of wrestling-based comic books wrote: A tossup on the National Weather Service that went on about how NOAA sounds like Noah and how NOAA might have consulted Noah when they established the NWS.
I am so embarrassed I live in the same area code as Questions Unlimited.
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:11 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: DCCAT (Novi, MI 2/26/11)
Replies: 40
Views: 16338

Re: DCCAT (Novi, MI 2/26/11)

For ten points, name this religion in which followers typically wear dreadlocks, use marijuana, worship Haile Selassie, and listen to reggae artists such as Bob Marley. This probably isn't the best giveaway for Rastafarianism, if you saw Ricky Williams' 30 for 30 you'd see why, and he's Christian. ...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:04 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: DCCAT (Novi, MI 2/26/11)
Replies: 40
Views: 16338

Re: DCCAT (Novi, MI 2/26/11)

even the best geography person on my team, Raynell Cooper, who powers almost all geo questions, only got this one at the end with the capital, Ljubiljana. That's a really bad metric for analyzing a question's quality. I'm not saying it's a good metric, but my point is that the question as a whole i...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:56 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: DCCAT (Novi, MI 2/26/11)
Replies: 40
Views: 16338

Re: DCCAT (Novi, MI 2/26/11)

These questions are really good, however in round 11 question 9's bonus, the second question is incorrect. Gonzaga University is located on the complete opposite side of the state of Washington, in Spokane, not Tacoma. edit: other poster mentioned this.
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:08 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Free Tournament at Wofford College 2/26/2011
Replies: 22
Views: 7999

Re: Free Tournament at Wofford College 2/26/2011

...putting Dorman and Southside in the same opening bracket is clearly not fair. I have to respectfully disagree with you. I'm not really sure what you mean by "fair" in this case, but I can't think of any organized competition in the US that shuffles its divisions to make it "fair" to the teams at...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:20 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: New Sponsors of the NHBB
Replies: 1
Views: 468

Re: New Sponsors of the NHBB

Likewise, I would also like to announce a sponsorship arrangement with ACE Quiz Bowl Camps. The winner of the National History Bee for both the Varsity and Junior Varsity divisions will receive a full scholarship to the ACE camp of their choice for this coming summer. I thank both new sponsors for ...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:20 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Solon Two-Day (February 19-20, 2011)
Replies: 19
Views: 6773

Re: Solon Two-Day (February 19-20, 2011)

I think we can agree that the adage "When you assume..." applies here, as we were very quick to judge the situation. However, I think we can agree though hearing the questions x2 however undoubtedly gives teams an unfair advantage. I can recognize packets I played from months ago, based solely on th...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:19 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Parkersburg High School Tournament - March 12
Replies: 24
Views: 5903

Re: Parkersburg High School Tournament - March 12

We're up to a bare minimum of 16 teams, with more practically a guarantee to be present. We're just: two hours southeast of Columbus two and a half hours south of Pittsburgh three hours south of Cleveland three and a half hours southeast of Cincinnati (I'd ramble about Kentucky, but the Governor's ...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:25 pm
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Ohio '10 - '11
Replies: 62
Views: 11095

Re: Ohio '10 - '11

I'd like to direct everyone to my coach's response to the allegations here:http://www.createphpbb.com/oac/viewtopic.php?mforum=oac&t=970&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60&mforum=oac Also, I want to tell you all from my own mouth that I was unaware I was replaying a set I had already heard. Clues ru...
by Sniper, No Sniping!
Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:14 am
Forum: High school area archives
Topic: Ohio '10 - '11
Replies: 62
Views: 11095

Re: Ohio '10 - '11

I'm almost inclined to forgive them just so we can all have the experience of having Culver come to tournaments where we then mock them ceaselessly for performing one of the most phenomenally idiotic cheating jobs yet perpetrated on quizbowl. I like where your going with this, but I don't think it ...