St. Joe's Mirror of GSAC XVIII---February 19, 2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Edward Powers
Auron

St. Joe's Mirror of GSAC XVIII---February 19, 2011

Post by Edward Powers »

Saint Joseph's High School is excited to announce it will be hosting a mirror of GSAC XVIII (or, The Garden State Academic Competition) at SJHS in Metuchen NJ on February 19, 2011. All teams in the Northeast region are invited to attend.

The Questions: The question set was written by members of the distinguished Maggie Walker Governor's School of Richmond, Virginia.

Set Distribution: 4/4 Lit; 4/4 Science; 4/4 History; 3/3 RMP; 2/2 Arts; 1/1 Social Science; 1/1 Geography; 1/1 Trash.

Fee Structure: $70 for the first team; $60 for each additional team. Minumum payment per team: $40.00

Discounts: $10 off for each working buzzer system; $15 off for each experienced moderator; $10 off for travel >100 miles.

Registration and Payments: You can indicate interest here, but to officially register you should email me at [email protected]
Fees should be made payable to : Saint Joseph High School and either be sent to Edward Powers c/o Saint Joseph HS, 145 Plainfield Avenue, Metuchen, NJ 08840, or, payments can be made the morning of registration, which will take place in our cafeteria between 7:45-8:45 AM. We will also accept cash and provide receipts for all who need them. And we have ample parking in the back of the school, right behind our cafeteria.

Directions: Just use our address above and place it in Mapquest or your GPS system and we will be easy to find.

Tournament Format: The ultimate format will depend upon field size, but our hope is to have at least 24 teams and to have round robin matches in both the prelims and the playoffs, and we hope all teams can play at least 9 or 10 matches.

The Final Field: --- As of February 18th: 10 Teams from 7 Schools:

Bergen Academies: 2 Teams, 2 Buzzers
Friends Academy: 1 Team
Hunter College High School: 3 Teams, 2 Buzzers
Millburn: 2 Teams, 2 Buzzers
Salisbury (Allentown, Pa) : 1 Team, 1 Buzzer
Wissahickon: 1 Team
SJHS: 1 House/Hybrid Team to balance brackets
Last edited by Edward Powers on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 40 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Re: Saint Joe's Mirror of GSAC XVIII---February 19, 2011

Post by jonpin »

We're hoping to attend (it's the first weekend of break, so pending teacher and student availability and interest). I propose this be given the acronym-preserving title of Garden State Academic Competition.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: St. Joe's Mirror of GSAC XVIII---February 19, 2011

Post by Edward Powers »

Bumped to remind everyone that this is only 3 weeks away.

Edit: I have adopted Jon's sugggestion, to wit, in the spirit of preserving the GSAC Acronym while adapting it to local purposes, you will notice the alternative name for this mirror in the orginal invitation to this competition above, which is: the Garden State Academic Competition.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Another bump to remind people that this virtually only 2 weeks away. I hope those who can come do not miss an opportunity to hear what is reputed to be an excellent question set. So, do not be shy; come and enjoy a great day of competition.

EDIT: Field update! See above.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Since this is now LESS than 2 weeks away, wisdom suggests: Sign Up & Play!!!!
Last edited by Edward Powers on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

This set was kinda hard but the questions are unequivocally great. There's no reason for any competitive team not to come to this if you haven't heard the set yet.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

I heard the GSAC set yesterday at Alpharetta's mirror and I would also recommend this set highly. I thought the questions, while a little more difficult than a typical NAQT IS set, were at a level that would be accessible to any reasonably experienced team.
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks to Coach Chrzanowski and Coach Hirsch for your support and your strong endorsements of the GSAC Set. I hope your help triggers the interest the Set deserves.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Despite the small field so far, this tournament will happen. We hope others choose to sign up, but if not we have at least 6 competitive teams coming, so we will create a double round robin, as Alpharetta did last weekend in Georgia for its National Division. If Wissahickon's B team comes, our House team, composed of our A team, will play to even the brackets and create a little more competition as well, and we will work out a different format for the 8 teams.

Naturally, we hope others take advantage of this opportunity to play what is reputed to be an excellent set, but either way, this tournament will take place.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
urbanpf
Lulu

Post by urbanpf »

Ed,

Millburn HS will be there, with two teams & two buzzers!

Peter Urban
Millburn HS Academic
Quiz Bowl Team
Head Coach/Advisor
Peter Urban
Coach In Retirement
Millburn High School
Millburn, NJ 07041
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

That's great news Peter. Welcome aboard! And I sent you an email with an inquiry. Let me know what you think.

Meanwhile, for all other potential registrants who might still be debating whether to come or not: Registration will remain open until 11:59 PM Thursday evening. So, if you are still on the fence, come join the fun. There are some very gifted teams already in the field, and the question set is reputed to be top notch. So, do not be shy. We'd love to have you.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

With a little more than 24 hours before registration closes, we make one last call to remind teams that the small field already committed to come is quite good, the questions are excellent, and the breakfast isn't too bad either. So, do not be afraid to use this last one day plus to come join the fun.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

The Final Field is posted---10 teams from 7 schools, one a House/Hybrid Team to balance the brackets. For complete transparency, 3/4 of the Hybrid team will be SJHS A Players, and 1/4 will come from Hunter College HS, so it should be a reasonably competitive team.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Final Results for St. Joe's Mirror of GSAC XVIII.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

This was an enjoyable day. Congratualtions to Hunter A for its outstanding perfromance; it cleared the field by two full games and exceeded 25 PPB overall. Surely this has to be one of the best perfomances in the country so far this year on this challenging set.

Meanwhile I would like to thank all the other teams that attended and helped make this tournament a success. Additionally, thanks goes out to the Fathers' Club for providing nourishment for both breakfast and lunch. And the tournament could not have gone on without my returning alumni who read & moderated throughout the day. Of course, thanks to my great kids at SJHS who did everything else that was needed to make everything run smoothely. And, last but not least, thanks to the Maggie Walker Governors' School for allowing us to mirror its excellent GSAC Set in the first place. We'd love to do it again next year.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ