VCU Winter Tournament IV (12/10/11)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Matt Weiner
Sin

VCU Winter Tournament IV (12/10/11)

Post by Matt Weiner »

This is the general announcement for the 2011 VCU Winter Tournament. This is a high school academic quizbowl tournament, to be operated by the quizbowl team at Virginia Commonwealth University, and held at the Collegiate School in Richmond, on Saturday, December 10 from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. The tournament is open to any high school team that wishes to attend, provided they have not previously heard the question set, which is NAQT Invitational Series #111.

LOCATION, DIRECTIONS, PARKING: The tournament will take place at the *upper school* campus of the Collegiate School, which is at 103 N Mooreland Road in Richmond. Please meet in the Memorial Hall cafeteria.

AFFILIATION: This tournament will be a qualifying tournament for the NAQT High School National Championship -nce and will be an opportunity to qualify for the National Scholastics Championship (pace-nsc.org), which is run by PACE and will occur on June 9-10, 2011 in St. Louis, Missouri.

QUESTIONS: We will be using NAQT IS set #111. It is every team's responsibility to make sure they are not playing this set at any other tournament (check http://naqt.com/assigned-packet-sets.jsp for list).

FORMAT: This tournament will use the traditional tossup/bonus format with power tossups in effect. Games will end after tossup 20 and will not be timed. Math calculation tossups will not be used, but math calculation bonuses will be used. All teams will be offered a minimum of 9 games. Trophies will be awarded to the top teams, and book prizes will be awarded to the top individual scorers. VCU reserves the right to cap the field based on availability of space and staff.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
-The fee structure is as follows:
Base fee: $70 per team. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.
Buzzer discount: $5 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work)-no limit to # of systems you can bring
Staff discount: $10 off school's total fee. This could be a coach, parent, student who is not playing, etc. Team-provided staffers will keep score for various games not involving the team with which they are affiliated. Volunteer staffers must stay through all the games (except finals) in order to receive credit for their school. There is no limit to the number of staffers you can bring.
Minimum fee: The minimum fee is $0 (you can bring enough buzzers and staffers to eliminate your entire fee via discounts, but you cannot have a "negative fee.")

-To register, e- mail me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. We are also requiring a cell phone contact number belonging to someone who will be attending the tournament, so that we can track you down if you are running late. Feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending. There is no further registration form or other action needed on your part in order to be officially registered; you only need to e-mail me at that address with the information requested. Posts made in this thread will not be considered official registrations; you must e-mail me.

METHOD OF PAYMENT: All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if your procedures require it. Teams who do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount before we start mailing letters to your school administration about it.
We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment. Bringing forms of payment outside of the three listed will be considered nonpayment and subject you to the $25 late payment penalty.
Checks should be made out to "Quizbowl at VCU" and no other person or entity. If you require a pre-tournament invoice in order to have a check cut, let us know by November 6th so that we can send you the paperwork in time. If you do not let us know about this requirement by November 6th, and it causes you to come to the tournament without your payment, then you will be subject to the $25 late payment penalty.

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. [b]There will be no exceptions to this rule.[/b] If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with only three players. Teams consisting of fewer than three players may not play without my express prior permission.

FOOD: Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided or sold by the tournament. We will provide a list of suggested eateries near the tournament site.

Please e-mail me if you have any further questions. I'm looking forward to seeing a wide variety of teams from Virginia and surrounding states on the 10th.
Matt Weiner
Quizbowl at VCU
Tournament Director, VCU Winter Tournament IV
[email protected]

List of Registered Teams (to be updated as registrations come in):
Collegiate 1
Cosby 1
Deep Run 2
Douglas Freeman 1
Georgetown Day 2
Maggie Walker 3
Midlothian 1
New Kent 3
Richard Montgomery 2
St. Anselm's 1
Thomas Jefferson 3
Trinity 1
Varina 1
Walter Johnson 1
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: VCU Winter Tournament IV (12/10/11)

Post by Matt Weiner »

We have confirmed the location of this tournament as Collegiate. Registration is open.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The first 12 teams have registered. We can accommodate at least 4 more. The best time to grab your spot is soon.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We have 15 teams registered now. This leaves one spot under the current field cap of 16. We will consider expanding the field once we review our staffing capabilities. Once the sixteenth team registers, I will place further interested teams on a first-come, first-served waitlist to replace teams who pull out or to enter the field once it expands.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We now have a full 16-team field and two teams on the waitlist. Please continue claiming waitlist spots and we'll do our best to accommodate you.
Matt Weiner
Inter et Inter
Kimahri

Post by Inter et Inter »

Matt,

For those of us who are on teams on the wait list, how good are the chances of expanding the field to 18 or 20 teams? Are you currently limited by the number of rooms in the building, number of staffers, or combination of both?
Colin R. Berry
Douglas S. Freeman HS
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We have secured additional staffers and added all previously waitlisted teams to the field. This brings us to our new limit for staffing, so further registrants will once more be waitlisted until yet more staffers are found.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Once again, we have expanded the field to add all previously waitlisted teams. We are at our maximum capacity, so further teams will be added if and only if an existing team drops; if you would like to be waitlisted for that scenario, let me know.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

After some shuffling we are now at 23 teams. 24 is a good number so we'll take one more team if anyone is interested, otherwise we'll do a mixed team on Saturday. Mail me if you want to claim the last spot.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Playoffs are underway. Prelim stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
Matt Weiner
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Georgetown Day B 160, Douglas Freeman 125
Douglas Freeman: Yamin Alam 0 0 0 0, Alex Caton 0 0 0 0, Bronson Hernandez 0 1 1 5, Eric Morris 0 5 0 50
Georgetown Day B: Noah Cowan 5 8 1 150, David Winkler 0 1 0 10
Bonuses: Douglas Freeman 6 70 11.67, Georgetown Day B 14 0 0.00
Did that really happen?

Also, nice win over TJ A for RM B. Impressive. They systematically crushed us last week so it's good to know it wasn't a fluke.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:Did that really happen?
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... corrected/
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

St. Anselm's and GDS each finished with one loss, and St. Anselm's won the final. There was a three-way tie for first, which was played off; Maggie Walker was first knocked out, and then Thomas Jefferson defeated Richard Montgomery in the third-place game. The final team in the championship bracket was Richard Montgomery B. Full stats will be posted tonight.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Matt Weiner
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

First off, my name should be Marx in the stats, not Marcus.

Secondly, I thought this was one of the stranger NAQT sets in recent memory. There seemed to be a larger amount of trash than normal, including some stuck in weird places (I specifically remember one game where the first two tossups were trash, and two others where the 20th was). Also, some of the answer line selection was a bit strange. However, altogether, this was a very enjoyable experience, and thanks to VCU for running a very organized (besides one scheduling mishap) and efficient tournament.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Please email me with details!
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

jonathanmarx wrote:I specifically remember one game where the first two tossups were trash
I found this packet and will fix this anomaly before the set gets used again in January. I have also requested that R. adjust how we assemble packets to prevent this from happening in the future. (Short version: our editing assignments treat "sports" and "pop culture" as two different categories, so the packet-sorting algorithm was doing the same, leading to the possibility that a sports tossup and a (non-sports) pop culture tossup might appear back-to-back.)
jonathanmarx wrote:two others where the 20th was [a trash tossup]
I think this is well within the range of normal variation.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
jlchockey94
Lulu

Post by jlchockey94 »

Do you have the stats from the one-game final? I didn't see them in the playoffs stats. Thanks.
Jared Cowan
Georgetown Day School '12