William Rufus King Invitational at Alabama (9/15)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

William Rufus King Invitational at Alabama (9/15)

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Greetings, everyone!

The Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team will be hosting William Rufus King Invitational VI: Men at WRK on Saturday, September 15, 2012. We will be using an NAQT IS-A set for this event. Rounds will be untimed. I'll be sure to note which set is being used as soon as that information is available to me. Currently, there is no JV division, however if there is sufficient demand, we may make one. This is unlikely at the moment.

Teams that have expressed interest in bringing more than two teams have been denoted with a "+" sign. We will notify you when we have determined that the field can expand.

Current field (24+)

ACA (1)
Buckhorn (1)
Clemens (we'll get back to you soon)
Cornerstone (1)
Evangel (2)
Gadsden City (4)
Holy Spirit (1)
Hoover (4)
Indian Springs (1)
LAMP (3)
Northridge (1)
Oak Mountain (1)
Russellville (1)
St. Andrews (MS) (2)
Tuscaloosa Central (2 but maybe 1)

We shall use the following fee structure for this event:

- $60 for one team
- $50 for every additional team (up to 2 at the moment)

Discounts:
- $10 per experienced moderator
- $5 per buzzer set (up to 2 discounts but feel free to bring more)
- $5 for West Alabama Quiz League participating school
- $10 per 200 miles traveled according to Google maps.
- If this is your first tournament as a program (or your first in years), or if your team is not sponsored by your school, talk to us and we'll work out a payment plan.

Minimum fee: $30 per team

Payment deadline is September 1, 2012. Again, if there are issues that you have regarding this deadline, please let us know ahead of time and we'll try to work something out with you.

Field Cap:
The field is currently capped at 30 total teams and two per school, however we are more than willing to expand as long as we have enough quality staff to do so.
*note: Alabama public schools have just started classes to my knowledge so we will give schools time to register their first teams before we consider expanding to allow more than two teams per school. If your school is planning on sending more than two teams and are waiting on us to possibly expand the field (because your school can only cut one check, for instance), you will be given an appropriate extension on the payment deadline. Also if we end up having a waitlist and your team is not in the field, and we admit you in the field close to or past the payment deadline, you will be given an extension if you need one.

Directions (from I-20/59):
The tournament will be in Tuscaloosa, likely in Lloyd Hall. Exit I20/59 at the McFarland Blvd. Exit, turn right on McFarland and stay in the right lane. Go past 15th St. (malls on each side) and start looking for signs to University Blvd. Exit onto University and turn right (it's a loop exit, so you are going west now). Go into campus and turn right on Hackberry Lane. Parking will be on your left. When you exit your car, go west from the parking lot toward the quad. When you see the quad (a big field) turn right. Lloyd Hall is the third building from University Blvd. along the east side of the quad (depending on exactly where you park, either the building directly to your right when you see the quad, or the one just north of it.

*tournament location subject to change if the field expands to more than the current field cap of 24 teams.

Please contact Dargan Ware at dargan.ware at ua dot edu or myself at husbandofsamus at gmail dot com to register.
Last edited by The Ununtiable Twine on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana '04-'10, '14-'16, '18-'xx
Alabama '10-14
President, University of Louisiana at Lafayette Club for Academic Competition
FBK_Kaunas
Kimahri

Re: William Rufus King Invitational at Alabama (9/15)

Post by FBK_Kaunas »

Lamp should have a plus sign, as they expressed interest in "at least" 2 teams.
Columbia should, unfortunately, have an asterisk, indicating that while they expressed interest, there has, sadly, been some turnover that may affect whether they play at WRK.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Just a reminder that the payment deadline is 9/1, so please have your checks postmarked by then. For those of you marked with "+" in the field, if you want to bring more than 2 teams, we haven't extended the field cap at this moment, so we'll have to see how many staff we can secure. If you are planning on bringing more than 2 teams and cannot cut more than one check, please inform Dargan at the address listed in the first post.
Jake Sundberg
Alabama '10-14
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

West Point will be there with two teams!
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach - West Point High School (Cullman, AL)
President - Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
jabreo640
Kimahri

Post by jabreo640 »

Mr. Ware,

My name is Joshua Abreo, and I am a sophomore at James Clemens High School. Our school is brand new, so we have had a slight delay in getting our
quiz bowl team started. We were interested in competing in the varsity division of the this tournament, and we will be fielding a one team of five sophomores
(Joshua Abreo, Sunny Chenupati, Jacob Laney, Yasanka Chalasani, and Allen King). Could you please let us know whether will be able to participate,
and if so, could you send us the payment information?

Thank you,
Joshua Abreo

User was encouraged to note his name and affiliation using the signature function in addition to putting it in the body of his post. -Mgmt
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Joshua, Dargan and I have received your email. We have a meeting tonight so we should be able to get you a response within the next day or so.
Jake Sundberg
Alabama '10-14
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Does anyone know the best way to structure brackets with a 25 or 26 team field while having the number of packets an A-set limits us to?

24, 27, and 28 seem far more manageable then 25 or 26 but we may end up with 25 or 26...
Jake Sundberg
Alabama '10-14
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Why wouldn't you just close the field at 24 and only expand it if you hit a certain number above that, such as 28, that is far cleaner?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

With 26 teams, you make 1 pool of 6 and 4 pools of 5. Each team in the pools of 5 plays one crossover match that does not count. The pool winners plus one wildcard go into the top afternoon pool, and you rank the other teams by wins first and PPB second to make the four other pools, which each have five teams and have each team play one crossover match that doesn't count. If you want to have packets for an ACF-style final, then you have to break the morning pool ties on paper using points scored to determine pool winners and PPB for other ties.

With 28 teams, you get 3 pools of 6 and 2 pools of 5, and things are pretty much the same.

Since you only have 12 packets, you wouldn't be able to do 4 pools of 6 followed by 3 pools of 8 anyways, since that would use up all the packets and you could be forced to determine the tournament champ by a paper tiebreaker.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Horned Screamer wrote:Why wouldn't you just close the field at 24 and only expand it if you hit a certain number above that, such as 28, that is far cleaner?
It was closed at 24 initially, then we expanded to 28, but a team or two backed out here and there. Of course 28 is still the optimal number but we may not be able to reach it, hence the question.

*and I need contingency schedules anyway so even if we get to 28, I need to make the alternate schedules.
Jake Sundberg
Alabama '10-14
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

This happened. Hoover A cleared the field at 10-0, St. Andrew's (MS) finished 2nd, Hoover B finished 3rd, Holy Spirit 4th, and Indian Springs 5th. Stats to follow when they are finalized.
Jake Sundberg
Alabama '10-14
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Playoff stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/

I'll get the prelim stats up as soon as I re-enter them into SQBS.
Jake Sundberg
Alabama '10-14
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

The Ununtiable Twine wrote: Prelim stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/
Playoff stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/
Jake Sundberg
Alabama '10-14
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Were all teams with the exception of St. Andrews from Alabama?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated