Wake Forest University Brain Summit, NC - 2/16/2013 [IS-120]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rigel
Lulu

Wake Forest University Brain Summit, NC - 2/16/2013 [IS-120]

Post by Rigel »

Greetings, everyone!

The Wake Forest Quiz Bowl Club is happy to announce that we are opening registration for the second iteration of our Wake Forest Brain Summit. We had a relatively modest success last year with a field of 11 teams from across western and central North Carolina, and this year we are hoping to expand and have a greater turnout. This is a high school tournament affiliated with NAQT using packet #IS-120 with the unofficial classification and is to be held from 9AM to 5PM on Saturday, 16 February, 2013 at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, NC. Any schools are welcome to attend. We will soon contact PACE in order to become affiliated with them as well.

Important Information:

Scope of Tournament: This year we are looking for 16 to 24 teams to participate in our tournament. As such the tournament structure will become more defined as tournament day approaches, but in general it will consist of preliminary rounds and playoff rounds, and we will try coax out 7-9 guaranteed matches for each team. Each match will consist of 2 timed halves, each with 9 minutes of play and one 1 minute halftime break: each half will consist of Toss-Ups and Bonuses for correct answers to toss-ups. We will not be doing bounce backs. Winners will be determined by win ratio, and in the event of equal win ratios we will have tie breaker matches for teams able to contest for the top 15%.

Registration: To register for our event please email Bradley Hicks, [email protected], with the number of teams you WOULD LIKE to bring, the number of working buzzers you will bring, and your contact information. After your initial email you will receive a confirmation email that contains an invoice that you will fill out and mail in with payment attached before tournament day or you may turn it in on the day of the tournament. Checks must be made out to Bradley Hicks. Finally, sometime in January registered teams will receive an email that contains a packet of information, rules, and other important tournament day information.

Fee Schedule:

Base Pay: $70
Additional Teams: $15, each
Travel Discount: -$10, for travel of longer than 1.5 hours. (if distance is much more substantial, > 500 miles, another deal could be made)
Buzzer Discount: -$5, for every functional buzzer system promised (each buzzer must have 8 functional signaling devices)
Early Registration Discount: -$10, if you are registered before the 2/10/13.
Minimum Payment: 0. It's just good business!

We currently are not in need of staffers, but if we are in need we will notify all schools shortly before the tournament of the shortage and give a $5 discount per staffer on a first-come-first-served basis until our needs are fulfilled. As per usual staffers will only act as scorekeepers in matches where their school is not present, and we also ask that a staffer be able to stay for the entirety of the tournament matches.

Method of Payment: Payment may be made in cash or check, neither is preferred or discouraged. If your school requires W2 or other tax information please let us know and supply us with the proper form. If you don't supply the form you cannot proceed in the registration process. If you require a receipt please indicate so and you will be provided with one on tournament day.

Hotel: If you have any intention of spending the night in Winston-Salem we will gladly assist you, but we encourage you to do some research on your own as well.

Team Composition: Each team may have a total of 6 members, with only 4 members in play at any time, no exceptions. If you want to bring more than 6 participants you must form two teams, subject to the fee schedule. The halftimes are times to make team member exchanges during matches.

Food: We will not provide breakfast or lunch. However, Wake Forest University has plenty of on campus options for participants to choose from. A list of these options will be provided in the information packet later.

We hope you will attend our tournament, and we look forward to having a wonderful time!

P.S. If you have any questions or need any clarifications please let us know.
Last edited by Rigel on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bradley Hicks
President, Wake Forest Quiz Bowl
Wake Forest University, NC

"Lose no opportunity of practicing on the organ; there is no other instrument which takes a swifter revenge on anything unclear or sloppy in composition or playing." -Robert Schumann

Rigel
Lulu

Re: Wake Forest University Brain Summit, NC - 2/16/2013

Post by Rigel »

The current field of teams:

Raleigh Charter High School, Raleigh, NC (3 teams)
Early College at Guilford, Greensboro, NC (2 teams)
North Davidson High School, Lexington, NC (2 teams)
Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy, Mooresboro, NC (1 team)
East Chapel Hill High School, Chapel Hill, NC (3 teams)
Enloe Magnet High School, Raleigh, NC (2 teams)
South Caldwell High School, Hudson NC (1 team)
Richmond Senior High School, Rockingham NC (1 team)
Freedom High School, Morganton NC (?)
Carrboro High School, Carrboro NC (1-2 teams)

Totals: 17-18/24

Updated: 2/6/13
Last edited by Rigel on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bradley Hicks

"Lose no opportunity of practicing on the organ; there is no other instrument which takes a swifter revenge on anything unclear or sloppy in composition or playing." -Robert Schumann

Rigel
Lulu

Post by Rigel »

We are registered with PACE, and as such the top 20% of teams will qualify for the PACE National Scholastics Championship at College Park, MD.
Last edited by Rigel on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Hicks

Rigel
Lulu

Post by Rigel »

Greetings all,

We have decided that we will now lift the 1 team limit. You may now register no more than 4 teams, and the cap still remains 24 teams. We are hoping to have a three bracket organization, so keep that in mind when you decide how many teams you want to bring because it only raises the probability that your school might play against itself.
Bradley Hicks

vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Most concise tournament I've ever been to; excellent staffers as well. Great stuff.
Jacob Reed (he/him/his)
Chicago ~'25 | Yale '19, '17 | East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from...the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens

Rigel
Lulu

Post by Rigel »

The tournament was a great success. NAQT and PACE will receive the tournament specifics in the near future.
Bradley Hicks

Sforza
Kimahri

Post by Sforza »

Would it be possible for somebody to take another look at the stats? Some of the numbers for our team (Early College at Guilford) don't seem to match what we had reported ourselves. In addition, some of the numbers are clearly inaccurate, such as East Chapel Hill A managing an extremely impressive 30.83 ppb in their win over TJ Classical.
Gareth Fowler
Early College at Guilford, 2013

Rigel
Lulu

Post by Rigel »

Sforza wrote:Would it be possible for somebody to take another look at the stats? Some of the numbers for our team (Early College at Guilford) don't seem to match what we had reported ourselves. In addition, some of the numbers are clearly inaccurate, such as East Chapel Hill A managing an extremely impressive 30.83 ppb in their win over TJ Classical.
These issues have been dealt with if teams submitted their issues to me.
Bradley Hicks

vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4338
It looks like all of our issues have been fixed, Gareth. Raleig Charter A/B's final game is still off, but that's all I can see for now.
Jacob Reed (he/him/his)

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

perlnerd666 wrote:Raleigh Charter A/B's final game is still off
Let me know what's wrong with this and I'll fix it.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

Rigel
Lulu

Post by Rigel »

perlnerd666 wrote:http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=4338
It looks like all of our issues have been fixed, Gareth. Raleig Charter A/B's final game is still off, but that's all I can see for now.
When Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy left before the 8th round Raleigh Charter A and B teams were left with no opponents in the eighth round so they played each other. As far as I can tell, the final standings would not change if both teams had byes.
Bradley Hicks

vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
All of their points are listed as bonus points.
Jacob Reed (he/him/his)

Rigel
Lulu

Post by Rigel »

perlnerd666 wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:
All of their points are listed as bonus points.
Ah, I see. Unfortunately this has to remain as the score sheet for that round was returned without player data. I can arbitrarily set some player stats if this a considerable problem.
Bradley Hicks

smithp5
Wakka

Re: Wake Forest University Brain Summit, NC - 2/16/2013 [IS-120]

Post by smithp5 »

Haven't been watching the board lately, just saw this. Bradley and Jeff, I'll send you an e-mail with any discrepencies I see with Early College at Guilford data.
Paul Smith
Coach, The Early College at Guilford