Location: Adlai E. Stevenson High School, 1 Stevenson Drive, Lincolnshire, Illinois
Eligibility: Each team must consist of one or more players that attend the same high school. For n such teams to register for this tournament, the corresponding school must have received at least n invitations to the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, at least n invitations to the NAQT Small School National Championship Tournament, or at least n invitations to the PACE National Scholastics Championship. No combining of invitations is allowed (that is, if a school has earned exactly one invitation to each of those tournaments, at most one team of players from that school may enter this tournament). Furthermore, priority will be given to teams from schools that are not only qualified for but are also registered for at least one of those tournaments. Teams are not required to be formally affiliated with a school. Non-qualified teams may request to enter; they will be dealt with as necessary to achieve an aesthetically pleasing field size or otherwise at my discretion.
Field cap: There is a tentative field cap of 12 so that we can do a full round robin followed by tiebreakers if necessary and an advantaged final.
Question set: The tournament will use the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament set written and edited by members and alumni of the team at the University of Minnesota plus Billy Busse of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. This set is more difficult than regular-season high school question sets, but the experience will be useful for teams seeking to prepare for national championships.
Rules: The tournament will use ACF rules with the addition of powers. (In particular, this means up to 4 people playing at a time on each team, a roster cap of 6, negs, non-rebounding bonuses, sudden-death tiebreakers, and substitutions only at the half or before tiebreakers.)
Money: The base fee is $60 per team.
- There is a $5 discount for bringing a fully functional buzzer system. This will be given at most twice to each school, and no more than eight times total in order of signup. (If the field is expanded, this may change.)
- There is a $15 discount for providing a staffer who has been approved by me, subject to the staffer actually being needed. Staffers will be provided with lunch.
- If you say you will bring a buzzer system or staffer in exchange for a discount, and then fail to do so without sufficient advance notice, you forfeit the discount and owe an additional fee equal to the amount the discount would have been.
- The minimum fee is $35 per team.
- If you cancel between 72 hours and 24 hours before the tournament, you will be charged a cancellation fee of $35. If you cancel less than 24 hours before the tournament, you will be charged a cancellation fee of $60. I reserve the right to waive this fee (and all others) at my discretion.
- Teams not formally associated with a school must pay in full by check before the tournament, or bring sufficient cash or a check to the tournament. Such teams that have not paid in advance and do not bring acceptable payment to the tournament will be directed to an ATM and will not be permitted to play until they have paid. All fines due to buzzer/staffer cancellation must be paid before you will be permitted to play.
- If financial issues stand between your team and attending this tournament, contact me to discuss possible arrangements.
Contact: If you have any questions, please contact me at [email protected].