OATH [IS-172] — 3/3/18, Hanover, N.H.

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
deserto
Wakka

OATH [IS-172] — 3/3/18, Hanover, N.H.

Post by deserto »

The Hanover High School Quizbowl Club invites registrations for the OATH (Open Academic Tournament at Hanover), a tossup-bonus tournament to be held Saturday, March 3, 2018. The tournament will take place at HHS's campus, 41 Lebanon St., Hanover, N.H., with registration running from 8:15 to 9 a.m. and the tournament itself beginning at 9 a.m. and ending by 5:30 p.m.

Tournament Details

We'll be using NAQT's IS-172 set. The rounds will consist of untimed halves of 10 tossups each. Otherwise, we'll be hewing to NAQT rules. I will review these rules during the opening meeting, but encourage teams unfamiliar with them to do so ahead of time, too.

The OATH should serve as a good warm-up for the Vermont NAQT Championship, on March 9, the Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl championship, on March 24, and the New Hampshire Quiz Bowl League championship, on April 8. We welcome sign-ups from teams not competing in any of these events, too.

The OATH will serve as a qualifier for NAQT's High School National Championship Tournament, scheduled for Memorial Day weekend in Atlanta, Georgia, and Small School National Championship Tournament, scheduled to take place April 27-29 in Rosemont, Ill.

Teams are guaranteed eight matches apiece and will likely play more, depending on the tournament format to which the field best lends itself.

I'm imposing an initial cap of 18 teams, but will work to expand the field if more teams express interest in competing.

Registration

The tournament registration fee is $70 per team, and we encourage schools to bring multiple teams. Schools may earn discounts for providing buzzer systems (-$10 each, up to three), and experienced staffers (-$10 each). The registration deadline is Wednesday, Feb. 28, and payment is due the morning of the tournament. I'll be glad to provide invoices, upon request.

Free parking is available in several lots ringing the school. For an added cost of $20 each, teams may reserve 16-inch cheese pizzas for lunch. Alternatively, teams may bring their own lunches or visit one of several nearby eateries. I'll give more logistical details in an email to all registered teams in the run-up to the tournament.

If you're ready to register, would like to express tentative interest, or have any questions or concerns, shoot me a message. We hope you'll join us in Hanover in March!

Gabe Brison-Trezise
Advisor, Hanover High School Quizbowl
g.brisontrezise [at] gmail [dot] com
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
deserto
Wakka

Re: OATH [IS-172] — 3/3/18, Hanover, N.H.

Post by deserto »

FIELD:

School / Location / No. of Teams / Buzzers / Staffers

Acton-Boxborough / Acton, Mass. / 1 / 0 / 0
Andover / Andover, Mass. / 1 / 1 / 0
Belmont / Belmont, Mass. / 1 / 1 / 0
Fair Haven / Fair Haven, Vt. / 1 / 1 / 1
Lisbon / Lisbon, N.H. / 1 / 1 / 0
Merrimack / Merrimack, N.H. / 2 / 2 / 2
Plymouth / Plymouth, N.H. / 2 / 1 / 1
Windsor / Windsor, Vt. / 1 / 0 / 0

Total: 10 / 7 / 4
Last edited by deserto on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

I'm pleased to announce PACE, the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence, has awarded the OATH gold certification, meaning the top 20 percent of the field will qualify for the National Scholastic Championship in June.

We're looking forward to a spirited tournament on March 3 and welcome inquiries and registrations from interested teams. You can reach me at g.brisontrezise [at] gmail.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

With half our initial field full and several other teams having expressed interest, now is a great time to send in your registration for the OATH! We look forward to welcoming a diverse field of teams to Hanover on March 3. If you have any questions or concerns about the tournament, drop me a line.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
[email protected]
Lulu

Post by [email protected] »

Please edit Plymouth's registration to: Plymouth / Plymouth, N.H. / 2 / 1 / 1

We are not going to be able to field 3 teams, only 2. Thanks,
jfog
Jay Fogarty
PRHS
86 OLD WARD BRIDGE ROAD
PLYMOUTH, NH 03264
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

[email protected] wrote:Please edit Plymouth's registration to: Plymouth / Plymouth, N.H. / 2 / 1 / 1

We are not going to be able to field 3 teams, only 2. Thanks,
jfog
Noted.

We've got a strong, diverse field for the OATH, but would welcome a few more teams. If you're interested, drop me a line.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

Thanks to all who attended the OATH yesterday. Andover and Belmont battled it out for the title, with Andover winning game 2 of an advantaged final to take home the championship trophy. Rhys Harris, of Plymouth, led the way in individual scoring, with 95 points per game. I've sent the stats to NAQT, who will presumably upload them soon. You may also view them here.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire