Princeton High School Academic Tournament XXVII (PHSAT XXVII) at Princeton University, 09/28/2019

Post high school tournament announcements and results here, along with logistical information. Interest checks, opinions, and other in-depth discussion of tournaments should go in the forum below.
jacke
Lulu

Princeton High School Academic Tournament XXVII (PHSAT XXVII) at Princeton University, 09/28/2019

Post by jacke » Thu May 16, 2019 8:27 pm

The Princeton University Quiz Bowl club will host the 27th Princeton High School Academic Tournament, PHSAT XXVII, tentatively on Saturday, September 28, 2019. We intend to use an NAQT IS set as usual. The tournament will be structured as a series of bracketed, round-robin preliminary matches followed by re-bracketed round-robin playoffs and consolation rounds after lunch. We will be using untimed NAQT rules for this tournament, but overtime will be sudden death, and players will have 5 seconds instead of 2 to give an answer after buzzing in. We will be skipping computational math tossups and bonuses. This tournament is, as always, intended for schools and teams who are looking for an early season, competitive tournament with other competitive schools.

Any questions about the tournament may be directed to me. Please use jacke (at) princeton.edu to contact me, and put [PHSAT] as the first part of the subject line. If you're interested in staffing this tournament, please also email me; we need all the help we can get!

Location and Check-in:
Check-in will likely begin at 8 am in an auditorium on campus and will close at the latest by 8:40. Matches will begin around 9:00am. Visitor parking will be available for the tournament for cars, vans, and buses. When we receive information about the location of our visitor parking, all registered teams will receive an email, and this post will be updated to include the location.

We do not have a specific location determined for the tournament yet, but, given the historical large nature of the field, we will likely use McCosh Hall at a minimum, as well as at least one other building.

Registration and Fees:
The initial field cap is 24 teams. With interest and buzzer/staff support, we will expand the field. Our maximum field cap is 36 teams. As with last year, we will have a competitive/standard split if there is enough interest. We are also capping registrations at 3 per school, although we will have a wait list in case any team is interested in bringing more than 3 teams. Eventually (probably in mid August), those teams will be added to the field. This is just to ensure no school takes up a sizable portion of the field before others have a chance to register.

First Team: $80
Additional teams: $70 per team

Buzzer discount: -$5 per functional system that allows for at least eight players.
Moderator discount: -$10 per experienced moderator. A moderator must be available to help for the entirety of the tournament in order to receive the discount. Moderators will also be provided with lunch (probably pizza like last year).

Minimum fee per team: $50

Payment can be made in the form of cash or a check on the day of the tournament. Checks should be made out to “Princeton University Quiz Bowl.”

To register for the tournament, please fill out this Google Form. If and when we need to contact you, I will email you directly. Please note that registering for the tournament is a commitment to stay for the whole tournament (barring any unforeseen circumstances).

Lunch:
Lunch will not be provided, except to staff. A number of eating options are available on Nassau Street at the north end of campus. Teams can also purchase lunch at the Frist Campus Center. Note that most places on Nassau street tend to be on the pricier side, so keep that in mind. If you plan on packing lunch, there are lots of tables in Frist Campus Center that you and your team can use.

Field List (24/24) (teams/buzzers/staffers):
Norfolk Academic Guild (2/0/0*)
"Robert Harp" (2/0/0*)
Manheim Township (2/0/0)
Hunter College HS (3/1/0)
Tenafly (3/1/0)
East Brunswick (2/2/0)
Wilton High (1/0/0)
"Team Gotham" (3/0/0)
Boston Latin School (1/2/0)
Ridgewood (2/1/0)
Millburn (2/1/0)
Holmdel(1/0/1)

*Subject to change
Wait list
Holmdel (1/0/0)
Penn Manor(2/4/0)
Richard Montgomery(1/2/0)
Trinity School (3/0/0)
Kellenberg (2/3/0)

We're looking forward to a great tournament. Hope to see you there!
Last edited by jacke on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jack E.
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21, Club president

nick.
Kimahri

Re: Princeton High School Academic Tournament XXVII (PHSAT XXVII) at Princeton University, 09/28/2019

Post by nick. » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:26 pm

The Google Form doesn't work, is there any plans on fixing that in the near future or will it be opened closer to the tournament?
Nick Pruitt

Vice President of Ridgewood HS History/Quiz Bowl
Ridgewood HS 21'

jacke
Lulu

Re: Princeton High School Academic Tournament XXVII (PHSAT XXVII) at Princeton University, 09/28/2019

Post by jacke » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:41 am

Google Form has been updated and should work now, sorry about that!
Jack E.
Bermudian Springs HS

AlanFromHolmdel
Kimahri

Post by AlanFromHolmdel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:49 pm

jacke said:

As with last year, we will have a competitive/standard split if there is enough interest.
Just a quick question, how's this one being gauged? I think an edit to the Google Form could be an effective way.
Alan Wu

Co-Founder and Captain of Holmdel HS, 18'-22'

Meme Aficionado

History Player

German culture enthusiast

Constantly trying to learn new languages.

The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices.

jacke
Lulu

Post by jacke » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:32 pm

An update: Unfortunately, Princeton still has yet to give me any information about our room reservation and event registration, and the online system still says it's "awaiting initial confirmation." Because of this, I can't expand the waitlist yet. I apologize for everyone waiting. This weekend and next week I'll be sending some emails to the university to try to get things sorted out. Stay tuned!

With regards to:
AlanFromHolmdel wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:49 pm
Just a quick question, how's this one being gauged? I think an edit to the Google Form could be an effective way.
I should have included that on the Google Form. I'll send an email to everyone registered so far to see what the hypothetical breakdown would be, and work from that point.
Jack E.
Bermudian Springs HS