Clarke Fall I @ Clarke HS, Westbury, NY, 11/2/2019 (LOGIC mirror)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Clarke Fall I @ Clarke HS, Westbury, NY, 11/2/2019 (LOGIC mirror)

Post by QuestionCactus »

Clarke High School will be hosting Clarke Fall I on Satuday, November 2, 2019. W. Tresper Clarke High School is located at 740 Edgewood Drive, Westbury, NY, 11590. Contact clarke [dot] quizbowl [at] gmail.com for any questions.

Question Set

Clarke Fall I will be mirroring LOGIC, a regular-difficulty high school set with no computational mathematics tossups or bonuses. The editors, writing teams, and category distribution can be found in the link.

Registration/Field Size

Register by filling out the following form: Online Registration Form

We are tentatively capping the field at 18 teams. This may be increased depending on our potential to acquire additional staffers. Teams that sign up after the field is full will be placed on a waitlist.

Transportation

W. Tresper Clarke High School is located at 740 Edgewood Drive, Westbury, NY, 11590, 30 miles east of New York City. We're about a mile from Exit W2 West on the Wantagh Parkway or 2 miles from Exit M4 on the Meadowbrook Parkway. If you take the LIRR to the Westbury Train Station, we're about 1.5 miles from there. From there you could walk for 30 minutes or use one of the taxi services located at the station, though we'd recommend catching an Uber.

Payment

$80 for the first team from a school
$70 for each subsequent team
-$10 working buzzer system discount
-$10 experienced moderator discount on a case-by-case basis depending on need
-$20 per team for schools further than 50 miles (as determined by the Google Maps distance by automobile from the team's school to W.T. Clarke High School)

The minimum fee is $60 per competing team.

Payment can be made on-site. Registered teams that wish to drop out should email clarke [dot] quizbowl [at] gmail.com; teams that drop out after 9:00 AM on Wednesday, October 30 (i.e. 72 hours before the tournament begins) will still be liable for the entry fee.

Teams that register to bring buzzers and reduce the number of buzzers they are signed up to bring after 9:00 AM on Wednesday, October 30 will be liable for a $10 inconvenience fee per buzzer set not brought.

Tournament Format

Gameplay will follow standard standard NAQT rules with the following modifications:
  • Rounds will be untimed and consist of twenty tossup-bonus cycles
  • Players will receive 5 seconds after buzzing in, after being prompted, and after the tossup ends
  • Tiebreakers will be performed by reading tossups until the first score change
Sign-in will begin at 8:15, the introductory meeting will begin at 8:50, and the first round will begin at 9:00. The tournament will end by 6:00, and possibly earlier, depending on the field size.

The tournament will consist of bracketed round-robin preliminary rounds, a 1-hour lunch, and re-bracketed playoff and consolation rounds, and cross-over and finals matches as necessary. The specifics will depend on the number of competing teams.

The top three teams will receive trophies and the top scorers after the preliminary rounds will receive book prizes.

All teams will also receive, at the end of the tournament, paper copies of their match scoresheets and individual and team performance statistics, with a detailed breakdown including categories and potentially buzz points. The advanced category analysis in particular will allow teams to examine their strengths and weakness and improve their game.

All teams will be guaranteed ten rounds. We have been designated as a PACE NSC Platinum Qualifier event, which will allow the top 25% of the field to advance to the 2020 National Scholastic Championships.

Food

For breakfast, we'll provide complimentary bagels/coffee/juice. For lunch, we'll be selling pizza; registered teams will receive the relevant information in the fall once we get closer to the tournament date. Alternatively, there are a few local eateries within walking distance, and several within driving distance.
Last edited by QuestionCactus on Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:23 am, edited 8 times in total.
Arjun Panickssery (he/his)
President, American Quizbowl League
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Re: Clarke Fall I @ Clarke HS, Westbury, NY, 11/2/2019 (LOGIC mirror)

Post by QuestionCactus »

Current Field (Teams/Buzzers/Staff)
Hotchkiss (2/2/0)
Hunter (3/1/0)
"Mather" (1/0/0)
North Babylon (2/3/2)
Ridgewood (1/1/0)
Tenafly (2/1/0)
"West Egg" (1/0/0)
Wheatley (1/0/0)
Wilton (1/0/0)

TOTAL: 14 teams
Last edited by QuestionCactus on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Gerald Ford's Economics
Lulu

Post by Gerald Ford's Economics »

Where will stats for this tournament be posted?
Pedro Juan Orduz
HCHS '21 Boston University '25
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Post by QuestionCactus »

Gerald Ford's Economics wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:25 pm Where will stats for this tournament be posted?
Live stats, pairings, and standings will be posted at https://clarkefall.github.io/ and final results will be posted on hsquizbowl.
Freddy
Kimahri

Post by Freddy »

Where would we find W-9 forms for the tournament?

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Post by QuestionCactus »

Email us at clarke [dot] quizbowl [at] gmail.com and we can provide one.
moy
Kimahri

Post by moy »

West Egg will register one team.
Matthew Moy — West Egg QB Treasurer :roll:

‘22
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Post by QuestionCactus »

We've reached our current field cap. Teams that sign up now will be placed on a waitlist. They will be added to the field in first-come first-serve order if a team drops out or if we expand the field size.
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Post by QuestionCactus »

After one drop, we are currently at 17 out of 18 teams.

If any school wishes to register a team (or if any school already registered wishes to add a team) we may be able to negotiate a discount.
QuestionCactus
Lulu

Post by QuestionCactus »

Thank you to all teams that competed and congratulations to the 4 teams that qualified for the PACE NSC:

1. Hunter A
2. Mather
3. Hotchkiss A
4. Hunter C

Advanced stat reports have been emailed to you. SQBS stats are available at https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5811/
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Thanks for playing the LOGIC set, everybody! As the set is not clear, please join the "2019 LOGIC Discussion" private group if you want to discuss the set. (Go to your user control panel, click on usergroups, then find "2019 LOGIC Discussion" and join it)
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!