Scobol Solo November 16, 2019 (IL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Scobol Solo November 16, 2019 (IL)

Post by Stained Diviner »

This is an invitation to participate in the Nineteenth Annual Scobol Solo, to be held on Saturday, November 16, 2019. The tournament is at New Trier High School in Winnetka, just north of Chicago.

Checks should be made payable to Reinstein QuizBowl and mailed to:
Reinstein QuizBowl
PO Box 57
125 Shelter Road
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
If this causes any problems, contact me.

Unlike most other tournaments, this one will feature one-on-one matches (i.e. no teams). Each match will consist of twenty tossup questions without bonuses or powers. Each individual who enters is guaranteed seven matches, which will take place from 9:00-3:30. We will then have a Championship Match at 3:30 featuring the top nine students all playing at once.

The cost to participate is $35 per player for the first eight players on your team. If you can supply a moderator, then the cost is only $25 per player for the first eight players, and it is only $15 per player if you have two moderators. I am willing to negotiate if you have more than two moderators. Lunch will be provided for everybody. Keep in mind that moderators will be unable to watch their own players' matches. Even if you don't moderate, there will be several times that some of your students play at the same time. If you wish to enter more than eight players, they will be entered on a standby basis. If there is room for them to play, they will play for free. I will let you know by November 9 how much room we have--we are hoping to have exactly 128 students total.

Old questions are here.

The tournament is set up so that matches always feature two students with identical records. This tournament keeps advanced stats--to see the results from last year, go here and check out some of the menus at the top.

Please return the attached form with a check. To hold some spaces for your school while your business office is cutting the check, email me at [email protected] or call me at (847)784-6616. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

You can see field updates here.

FAQ
Q: Do you need staff?
A: Yes
Attachments
2019 SCOBOL SOLO ENTRY FORM.pdf
(106.37 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Scobol Solo November 16, 2019 (IL)

There are currently 40 openings, but some coaches have said they will get me numbers this week, and there is a good chance that there will be a waitlist in a week or two. Use the link above to see who is currently entered.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

The field is now full. I still could use more staff. If I get more student entries, they will go on a waitlist.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

As of this moment, I have names of all students, enough moderators, and enough buzzer systems. None of that was true yesterday, and for all I know none of it will be true tomorrow. If you want to add students to the waitlist, sign up to be a moderator when somebody else backs out, or sign up to bring another buzzer system, that would be great by me. Also, if you know the year in school of students listed at the link above whose school year is not given, please PM or email me.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

I'm back to needing a moderator. Let me know if you can help.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

It looks like we have enough moderators now.

There is a thread titled 2019 Scobol Solo Discussion. People who are going to participate in Scobol Solo at New Trier can join it now. Do not join it if you or students you coach might play on the Solo set at a later date, which in some states includes NASAT tryouts.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Congratulations to everybody who took part in today's Scobol Solo. Govind Prabhakar won the tournament after an extremely short overtime against Dylan Bowman.

A huge thanks to our staff: Nevagay Abel, Jeff Brigham, Colby Burnett, Ulysses Capistran, Matthew Colson, Ernesto Cruz, Claudia Danowski, Owen Doak, Shao-Hai Guo, Frank Hannon, Baasit Jamal, D. Matthew Jordan, Amy Krukowski, Sara Landis, Mike Laudermith, Jonathan Legendre, Sharon Lorinskas, Jonathan Mishory, Andrew Nadig, Ali Nagib, Logan Nelson, Ron Netzel, Katie Parks, Jeff Price, Eric Rettberg, Michael Sacks, Brad Savage, Michael Sorice, Kyle Subade, Shaunie Talapatra, Stuart Teso-Warner, and Ben Yang.

An enormous thanks to Jonah Greenthal, who put out fires all day and whose software runs the tournament.

The set is not clear--it is not even clear within Illinois. There is a private forum set up to discuss it which can be accessed through your control panel. Feel free to discuss any other part of the tournament here.
David Reinstein
Ben Fry
Lulu

Post by Ben Fry »

I may not have been the first to notice this, but it seems that Sumesh Sundaresan from Metea Valley has lost two of his games, and Archan Das of IMSA may have found them.
Benjamin Fry
Chicago Christian '20, Geneva College '24
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Ben Fry wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:00 pmI may not have been the first to notice this, but it seems that Sumesh Sundaresan from Metea Valley has lost two of his games, and Archan Das of IMSA may have found them.
Thanks; I have fixed this. (It arose from a protest resolution that changed the result of one game.)
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I have added the Championship Match scoresheet and a brief summary of the results. Let me know if you spot any issues.
Jonah Greenthal
Ben Fry
Lulu

Post by Ben Fry »

I negged tossup 49. The point total through 50 is correct, though (I ended with 8).
Benjamin Fry
Chicago Christian '20, Geneva College '24
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Ben Fry wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 amI negged tossup 49. The point total through 50 is correct, though (I ended with 8).
Confirmed with the original scoresheet and fixed.
Jonah Greenthal