The Mounds View Quiz Bowl team is excited to announce the first ever Mounds View Invitational, taking place at Mounds View High School in Arden Hills, Minnesota on Saturday, November 2nd, 2019. The tournament will be run on the Regular Academic Fall Tournament (RAFT), a regular-difficulty housewritten set. This set is intended to be similar in difficulty to the Invitational Series Sets published by NAQT. More details about the set can be found here.
We intend for this tournament to be a qualifier for the 2020 PACE National Scholastic Championship.
The rules are very similar to standard NAQT rules, with three main exceptions:
- There will be 20 tossups and bonuses per round, plus one additional tiebreaker tossup.
- Halves and matches will NOT be timed, and every question [barring the tiebreaker] will be read.
- Players will have 5 seconds to give a response after they buzz, rather than 2 seconds.
- The preliminary rounds will consist of bracketed round robin play, with [ideally] at least 6 guaranteed matches for each team. The number of guaranteed matches will vary based on field size.
- Following lunch, the top teams from each bracket will enter into a seeded, double-elimination playoff bracket. Teams will be seeded firstly by win-loss record, and secondly by points per bonus in order to break ties.
- We ask that teams show up by 8:45 AM [for teams with staffers, please show up by 8:30 AM], so that we can conduct our introductory meetings and start our first round by 9:00 AM. We should be done with all our preliminary rounds by 12:30 PM.
- Following the preliminary rounds, we will break for lunch for approximately one hour. There are many food options that are less than a 10 minute drive from Mounds View High School, mostly on Lexington Avenue.
- After lunch, we will conduct the playoffs. No matter the format, the playoffs should be completed by 5:00 PM.
- A Team Base Fee: $75 per team
- Additional [B, C, etc.] Team Base Fee: $65 per team
- Buzzer Discount: $10 per functioning buzzer set*
- Staffer Discount: $10 per staffer*
- Early Bird Discount: $10 per team**
- Minimum Fee: $40 per team
*The buzzer and staff discounts are applied on an as-needed, first-come-first-serve basis. When registering, please list the number of staff and buzzer sets that you are able to bring to the tournament. We will follow up with you on whether your buzzers and/or staff are needed.
**The early bird discount will be applied to teams that register before October 19th, 2019.
There is a temporary field cap of 16 teams, but this can be expanded if needed. Spots will be filled on a first-come-first-serve basis, so please register soon to ensure a spot.
Please mail payment to Mounds View High School at 1900 Lake Valentine Road, Arden Hills, MN, 55112, or bring it with you on the tournament date. Additionally, please address all checks to "Mounds View High School."
In order to register, please email the number of teams, buzzer sets, and staffers you are willing to bring to [email protected]. If you have any questions, please email them to that address as well. We hope to see you at the tournament!