ACF Fall (HS only mirror) @ UChicago (11/02/2019)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

ACF Fall (HS only mirror) @ UChicago (11/02/2019)

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I am pleased to announce that the Illinois-area high school mirror of 2019 ACF Fall will be held at the University of Chicago on Saturday, November 2, 2019. I will be directing the tournament with the help of Ben Miller and the UChicago team, who will be simultaneously hosting the college iteration of ACF Fall. Please direct any questions about the HS tournament to me at [email protected]; if the question relates to logistics or finances, I may refer you to Ben.

Eligibility
In general, teams where players are all attending the same school and all taking at least one class for credit during the 2019-2020 school year are eligible to play 2019 ACF Fall.

Rules
This tournament will follow ACF’s official gameplay rules.

Fees
Base fee: $150
Shorthanded discount (1-2 players): –$75
Buzzers: –$10 per functional system
Staffers: –$15 per staffer with functional laptop
Travel: –$10 per 200 miles traveled one-way
[ACF's "new to quizbowl" discount is restricted to colleges.]

Packet Writing
High school teams do not write question packets for ACF Fall, and are thus not subject to discounts for writing and/or penalties for not writing.

Registration
Fill out the central 2019 ACF Fall registration form with all relevant information. The form is here: https://forms.gle/jeavKYCaCvGJaQNq5. The field for each site can be found here.

Three notes on the registration form for our high school mirror:
*Don't worry about "Division 2" and "Undergraduate" labels; they're for colleges only. Select "No" for those options.
*For our mirror specifically, simply enter "N/A" for your tentative roster. I will e-mail teams asking for rosters the week of the tournament. (High school rosters are harder to predict in early September than college rosters, after all.)
*ACF is a college quizbowl organization and isn't terribly interested in gathering and sharing media from our high school mirror; in addition, not many high school QB players are 18 years old and able to sign the media release anyway. As a result, you should write "N/A" for the media release.

Notes on High School Teams
ACF policy (and, incidentally, IHSA policy) does not allow high school teams to compete against college teams, hence the existence of high school-only events like ours. I'd like to thank ACF for the seventh year of hosting this tournament, which promises an excellent set of questions for teams that would like a harder-than-regular challenge at the start of the year.

Again, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me. I hope to see you in Chicago in November!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: ACF Fall (HS only mirror) @ UChicago (11/02/2019)

Field update on 10/6:
Adlai Stevenson
Auburn High School
Barrington
Detroit Catholic Central A
Detroit Catholic Central B
Detroit Catholic Central C
Glenbard North A
Glenbard North B
Hinsdale Central A
Hinsdale Central B
Homewood-Flossmoor A
IMSA A
Latin School of Chicago
Miami Valley A
Saint Joseph
Wayzata A
Wayzata B
William Fremd A
William Fremd B
Winnebago A

We're at 20 teams and will have to cap the field there for space. A waitlist will be set up after that. If you would like to play ACF Fall, please contact me at [email protected] and I will get you on the waitlist. Thank you!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

We'll be in Saieh and Eckhart Halls on Saturday. Each team should have received an e-mail earlier tonight with the schedule and which building they should go to for check-in in the morning. If you have any questions, my e-mail is [email protected].

Stats will be available at https://bit.ly/2019ACFHSIL. They will not be particularly "live" stats.

See you Saturday!
Last edited by Irreligion in Bangladesh on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

That link is not working right, but this one is.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Fixed! Posting is hard. Stats are good through lunch!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Thank you to everyone for making ACF Fall 2019 a great tournament! It is my pleasure to congratulate Wayzata A for finishing the day 11-1 and taking home the championship. Stevenson and IMSA tied at 3-2 in the playoffs, with Stevenson taking second place on points and acclamation. Our top scorer was John John Groger from Miami Valley, who punctuated his day with the fifth-known instance of a solo high school player answering all 20 tossups in a round. Full stats can be found on Neg5 here. If you notice any errors, please let me know and I'll get them sorted out.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped run this tournament - Alex Damisch, Ben Dillon, Linda Greene, Natalie Howell, Michael Karpov, Mike Laudermith, Andrew Nadig, Ali Nagib, Jeff Price, Kristin Strey, Joshua Tatman, Connie Tzeng, and Michelle Yang were outstanding and I cannot thank you enough for giving your Saturday to our teams. Highly special thanks go to Kristin for running everything in Eckhart Hall and entering stats far faster than I did, to Mike for providing our book prizes, and to Alex for her help coordinating our site and 17 other sites worldwide the past several weeks.

I'd also like to thank Ben Miller, Tim Morrison, and the UChicago quizbowl team for their hospitality and help hosting the tournament, and the ACF Fall editing team - Rahul Keyal, Ganon Evans, Justin French, Halle Friedman, Katherine Lei, Caroline Mao, Ben Miller, Tracy Mirkin, Clark Smith, and Kevin Yu - for providing an amazing set of questions. The questions are available at collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com; we used packets in "alphabetical" order according to the labels provided there, so Packet A from Florida A et al. was our Round 1, and so forth.

Thank you again, and have a great 2019-20 season!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)