Maroon Bowl II @ The Internet (Hosted by Ridgewood High School) (1/17/2021)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
nicole.
Wakka

Maroon Bowl II @ The Internet (Hosted by Ridgewood High School) (1/17/2021)

Post by nicole. »

The Ridgewood High School Quiz Bowl Team is excited to announce the second annual Maroon Bowl on Sunday, January 17th, 2021. The tournament will take place on Discord and will use the SATURNALIA question set. Myself (Nick Pruitt) and Aum Mundhe (also of Ridgewood High School) will be acting as Tournament Directors.

Question Set
SATURNALIA is a hard high school (“regular plus” difficulty) house-written question set. This set should be the same difficulty as AQBL Difficult difficulty as well as sets like Prison Bowl and BHSAT. You can read about its distribution and writers here. We will be using both tossups and bonuses.

Eligibility
This tournament is open to any school in New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut, with teams from Northeast Pennsylvania (Berks, Schuylkill, Luzerne, Pike, Monroe, Lehigh, Northampton, Wayne, Lackawanna, Susquehanna, Carbon, and Wyoming Counties) also allowed to play. We are also intending to split the tournament into two divisions: Nationals and Standard. Teams are eligible for the standard division if they have not had greater than 20 points per bonus (PPB) at a tournament of regular high school difficulty or higher during the 2020-2021 season, or if they have had that PPB, must not be playing with the primary scorer from that team. With that being said, we reserve the right to change a team’s division in order to ensure fairness.

Payment
The tournament will take place entirely online and have a fee of $75 for the first team with each additional team costing $60. Payment Details will be released as we get closer to the tournament, though most likely payment will be done via check.

To abide by PACE Guidelines, this tournament will require players to use cameras. This tournament will be using Discord Video.

There will be a maximum of 6 players per team, with 4 players playing at a time. We recommend that teams that have more than 4 players consider splitting into multiple teams.
Due to the large amount of planning and setup for online tournaments, any team canceling after 9:59 PM EST on Monday, January 11th, will be expected to pay full tournament dues.

Registration
To register please fill out the following form. There will be an initial field cap of 24 teams total that we will expand if there is interest.

Staff:
If you want to read for Maroon Bowl, please fill out this form. Staff will be given a stipend of $25.

Feel free to contact [email protected] for any questions or concerns that you may have. We hope to see you on January 17th!
Last edited by nicole. on Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicole/Nick Pruitt (she/her or they/he)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
nicole.
Wakka

Re: Maroon Bowl II @ The Internet (Hosted by Ridgewood High School) (1/17/2021)

Post by nicole. »

We have expanded the regional eligibility. Now, teams from Pennsylvania, New York, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, and Vermont can play. Field Cap will expand as needed.
Last edited by nicole. on Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
nicole.
Wakka

Post by nicole. »

National:
Choate (1)
High Tech (2)
Belmont (1)
Livingston (1)
Ithaca (1)
East Brunswick (2)
Marlboro (1)
Phillips Exeter (1)
Hunter (3)
Darien (1)
Wilmington Charter (1)
WWP North (1)
Lexington (1)
Saint Joseph (NJ) (1)
Island Trees (1)
Medina (1)
Wilton (1)
Millburn (1)
Trinity (NY) (2)
Total: (24)

National Waitlist:
Dalton (1)

Standard:
High Tech (1)
JP Stevens (1)
Morristown-Beard (2)
Jonathan Dayton (2)
Allied Health (2)
Choate (1)
Hightstown (1)
Wilmington Charter (1)
Wyoming Area (PA) (1)
Troy (NY) (1)
Northwestern Lehigh (PA) (2)
Mount Lebanon (PA) (1)
Barrington (RI) (1)
Brighton (NY) (1)
WWP North (1)
Newton South (2)
Tower Hill (1)
John Dickinson (1)
Island Trees (1)
Lenape Regional (2)
Delaware Valley (2)
Regis (1)
Concord-Carlisle (1)
Amherst (1)
Bronx Science (1)
Holmdel (1)
Yarmouth (ME) (1)
Wayne Hills (2)
Total: (36)

Standard Waitlist:
Fordham Prep (1)
Cardinal Spellman (1)
Last edited by nicole. on Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:38 am, edited 24 times in total.

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
nicole.
Wakka

Post by nicole. »

Both fields currently have a 24 team cap (though if National doesn't reach 18 by Monday, the cap for National will go down to 18), keep the registrations coming

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
nicole.
Wakka

Post by nicole. »

As Standard Division has reached 30 teams, I am officially locking it, all future teams who sign up for standard will be put on a waitlist. National Division will be locked if no new teams sign up between now and 10 PM tonight.

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
nicole.
Wakka

Post by nicole. »

This toournament starts at 9 AM

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
nicole.
Wakka

Post by nicole. »

Registration has officially closed, thanks to all who signed up

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
acz13
Lulu

Post by acz13 »

For the sake of the teams playing this tournament on Sunday, I hope this tournament runs smoothly and a good time is had by all.

Why is a tournament of this size, with many teams who have not played pyramidal quiz bowl ever or in many years, being run on SATURNALIA, a pre-nationals difficulty set?

My sources tell me that the TD, Nick, himself admitted that teams in the standard division are likely to run 10 dead tossups a game, forfeit games, and leave the tournament early. He is apparently relying on his moderators to make sure the teams have "fun". I wish the best of lucks to his moderators - they will need all the luck they can get.

I've also been told that Nick sent at least one team the HFT 2019 set to judge if the difficulty was appropriate. As far as I am aware, SATURNALIA is a significantly harder set than HFT 2019. I also question the ability of teams to judge what sets they should be playing on by themselves (as Nick appears to be encouraging). More than once I have seen a team insist on playing a tournament above their level before leaving a tournament early, declaring that pyramidal quiz bowl is "too hard", and retreating to the depths of bad quiz bowl. Again, some of these teams have not recently played pyramidal quiz bowl.

I applaud Nick for his ability to attract new teams to pyramidal quiz bowl. Rather than outreach, however, this tournament seems primed completely dissuade many teams from weekend pyramidal events for many years, undoing existing outreach efforts.

Is there any way Ridgewood could obtain an easier set to run the standard division on before Sunday's event?

(This is unrelated to the region restriction disagreements I had with Nick earlier)
Albert Zhang
State College 2016-2020 (RIP last season)
Columbia '24