2021 ONQBA Winter Online (February 20, 2021)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Protean
Lulu

2021 ONQBA Winter Online (February 20, 2021)

Post by Protean »

Hello!

The Ontario Quizbowl Association is pleased to announce ONQBA Winter, a quizbowl tournament that aims to be accessible to teams that are new to quizbowl while still providing a meaningful experience to those already familiar with the game. This tournament will use the NAQT IS-200A question set, which is at a difficulty suitable for new players, or a set at a similar level.

Additionally, this tournament will serve as a qualifier for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament (HSNCT) to be held online on May 29-30, 2021 and is in the process of becoming certified as a qualifier for the PACE National Scholastic Championship (PACE NSC) to be held online on June 5-6, 2021.

Logistics and Registration

This tournament will take place on Saturday, February 20, 2021 and will be hosted online via a Discord server. A logistics email containing more information and an invite link will be sent out to teams closer to the date. A camera will be required to play this tournament as will parental consent to be on camera. All participants will also be required to agree and adhere to the ACF Code of Conduct (https://acf-quizbowl.com/gameplay-rules ... nd-conduct) as well as the PACE honour pledge (https://www.pace-nsc.org/pace-honor-pledge/).

As we will be online, all Canadian secondary schools, including home schools, are eligible to play. We will have a quick pre-tournament meeting at 9:45 AM EST so please make sure to be on the server by then and the tournament will begin at 10:00 AM EST.

I, Raymond Chen, will serve as tournament director. To register your school for this tournament, please email me at [email protected] with the number of teams your school will send. I am also happy to field any questions or concerns via email or replies to this thread. Please note that the deadline to register is Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 11:59 PM. This is also the deadline to withdraw from the tournament.

Fees and Discounts

$60 CAD for the first team from a school
$40 CAD for each subsequent team
$20 CAD for each team from a school that is new to quizbowl (has not attended an academic quizbowl tournament, i.e. since September 2019)

The preferred method of payment is by e-transfer to [email protected]. If e-transfer is not possible or if your school would like to play but the cost is prohibitive, please get in touch with me and we can work something out.

Current Field

Abbey Park x1
UTS x1
Lisgar x1
Westmount x1

We hope to see you on February 20!
Last edited by Protean on Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond Chen
McMaster University, 2017
University of Toronto, 202x
Protean
Lulu

Re: 2021 ONQBA Winter Online (February 20, 2021)

Post by Protean »

The initial post has been edited to reflect several updates:
- the question set used will be NAQT IS-200A
- ONQBA Winter's status as national qualifier(s)
- Code of Conduct requirements
- the current field
Raymond Chen
McMaster University, 2017
University of Toronto, 202x