Traditional Academic Tournament [4/10/21]

Post high school tournament announcements and results here, along with logistical information. Interest checks, opinions, and other in-depth discussion of tournaments should go in the forum below.
nick.
Wakka

Traditional Academic Tournament [4/10/21]

Post by nick. »

I am excited to announce the first-ever Traditional Academic Tournament on Saturday, April 10th, 2021. The tournament will take place on Discord and will use the Spring Novice question set. Myself (Nick Pruitt), will be acting as tournament director. The Tournament will start at 11 AM EST to best accommodate for all North American Time Zones

Question Set
This tournament will be on the Spring Novice set. This set is college novice difficulty, which transposes to in between regs and regs+ with a greater focus on the college quiz bowl canon. You can read about its distribution and writers here. We will be using both tossups and bonuses.

Eligibility
This tournament is open to any high school in the United States and Canada. In order for this to be a truly national tournament, we have to abide by all state organization guidelines. Sadly, this means that we cannot have homeschools play.

Payment
The tournament will take place entirely online and have a fee of $80 for the first team with each additional team costing $65. New Teams (teams who have not played since either the 2017-2018 season or not at all, will receive a $50 discount on their first team, and $35 for each additional). Payment Details will be released as we get closer to the tournament, though most likely payment will be done via check, PayPal, and Venmo.

To abide by PACE Guidelines, this tournament will require players to use cameras. This tournament will be using Discord Video.

There will be a maximum of 6 players per team, with 4 players playing at a time. We recommend that teams that have more than 4 players consider splitting into multiple teams.
Due to the large amount of planning and setup for online tournaments, any team canceling after 9:59 PM EST on Monday, April 5th, will be expected to pay full tournament dues.

To register please fill out the following form. In order to be a truly national tournament, we have to follow all state org guidelines. This means, in order for me to be able to report all out of state schools to MSHSAA, I will be closing open registration on March 10th. There will be a cap of 18 teams until March 10th. After this point, non-Missouri teams will be only able to register via invitation. Until March 10th, teams will only be able to register a maximum of 2 teams, with all further teams from a school being waitlisted. There will be a hard cap of 36 teams for this tournament.

Staff:
If you want to read for the Traditional Academic Tournament, please email me at [email protected]. Staff will be given a stipend of $30.

Feel free to contact [email protected] for any questions or concerns that you may have. We hope to see you on April 10th!
Nick/Nicole Pruitt (fluid)

President of Ridgewood HS History/Quiz Bowl
Ridgewood HS 21'
AQBL Outreach Director
nick.
Wakka

Re: Traditional Academic Tournament [4/10/21]

Post by nick. »

Field:
Kinkaid (TX) (1)
TAG Magnet (TX) (1)
Glasgow (KY) (1)