LIFT XX, Kellenberg, Uniondale, NY, 10/30/21 (IS-206)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BroNi
Rikku

LIFT XX, Kellenberg, Uniondale, NY, 10/30/21 (IS-206)

Post by BroNi »

LIFT (Long Island Fall Tournament) XX will be held on October 30, 2021 at Kellenberg Memorial High School, Uniondale, NY.

Information:
- First and foremost - We reserve the right to 1) ask all who enter the building to abide by the school's policies concerning COVID. Currently all who enter the building MUST wear masks at all times except while eating. Social distance while eating must be followed. Anyone not following these safety policies will be asked to leave the property. 2) Cancel this tourney depending on the prevailing COVID situation as determined by the State, local authorities and/or the school's administration.
- $90.00 First team, $75.00 each additional team. Checks should be made out to "Kellenberg Memorial High School."
- Discounts: $10.00/buzzer system, $15.00/scorekeeper, $35.00/reader: minimum payment per team: $45.00
- NAQT IS-206 (20/20 untimed) No comp math toss-ups, Yes comp math bonuses.
-We will have prelim. brackets, ranked playoff brackets and then crossover games. (Depending on the Field size)
-We are tentatively setting a limit of 24 teams, and a tentative maximum of 3 teams/school. The field cap is small due to our uncertainty of our ability to effectively moderate 36 teams. This year's club is populated with new unexperienced team members. We will happily expand the field if teams sign up experienced READERS and to encourage this, we have increased the discounts respectively. So please sign up readers so we can have our usual 36 teams!
- If anyone in the local area who is not affiliated with a school would like to read for LIFT, please contact us at the email address below.
- (Bagels, juice and coffee will be provided.) NO - no can do. Scratch that - NO food/coffee will be provided - School's COVID policy!
- Location: Kellenberg Memorial HS located at 1400 Glenn Curtiss Blvd, Uniondale, NY 11553, on Long Island, 30 miles E of NYC, right off of Exit M4 West on the Meadowbrook Parkway. Recommendation: Those coming from outside the NYC area should NOT go through the city.
- Registration is from 7:30 to 8:30 AM, with the first round starting at 8:45 AM. The last game should end around 6:00 PM.

You can register by posting here or by email to Miss Victoria LaMonica ([email protected]). Please include # of teams, # of buzzers, # of scorekeepers/readers, an email address and a cell phone # so that we can easily contact you. Feel free to email with any questions.

Thank you! We look forward to seeing you on October 30th at Kellenberg.

Field: School (Teams-21)
Staples, CT, (1,0,0,0)
High Technology, NJ (1,3,0,0)
Wilton, CT (1,0,0,0)
North Babylon, NY (1,2,1,1)
Island Trees, NY (1,1,0,1)
Regis, NY (1,2,0,0)
Ridgewood, NJ (1,1,0,0)
Choate, CT (3,2,2,2)
Darien, CT (2,2,0,0)
JP Stevens, NJ (2,0,0,0)
Valley Steam South, NY (2,2,0,0)
Seton Hall Prep, NJ (2,2,0,1)
Hunter College, NY (2,1,0,0)
South Side, NY (1,0,0,0)
Last edited by BroNi on Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
ecasserly
Kimahri

Re: LIFT XX, Kellenberg, Uniondale, NY, 10/30/21 (IS-206)

Post by ecasserly »

Hello,
North Babylon would like to register 1 team for your tournament this year.
We have 2 buzzer sets.
1 Reader
1 Scorekeeper.

Thank you very much,
Erin Casserly
Coach of NBHS Academic Team
(If I can add one more team soon, I will let you know. I am struggling to get students to compete this year.)
Erin Casserly
North Babylon
KAluru
Lulu

Post by KAluru »

Hello, could the field be updated with the teams that registered by email please?
Thank you.
Kushal Aluru

Rutgers '26
John P. Stevens HS '23, President ('21-'23),
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

As of 7:45 AM this morning, the field is up to date. Any email registrations we have received have been posted above.
KAluru
Lulu

Post by KAluru »

I attempted to register via email, but it likely didn't go through. John P. Stevens High School would like to register two teams to play. We will not be bringing any buzzers or staffers, and my email address is [email protected]. I'd also like to ask, would cash be an acceptable form of payment for the tournament?

Thank you
Kushal Aluru

Rutgers '26
John P. Stevens HS '23, President ('21-'23),
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Answered off-line.
Large Hadron Collider Jacob de la Gardie
Lulu

Post by Large Hadron Collider Jacob de la Gardie »

Hello,
Hunter College High School would like to register 3 teams (including one waitlisted) team and one buzzer set for LIFT. Thank you.
Jacob Hardin-Bernhardt
Hunter College High School 2023
New York University 2027
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

The field is filled. Any other schools will be put on stand by and will be notified if a spot opens.
Thank you! Looking forward to the competition.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

....and now we are down 3 teams to 21. If any school is interested, let me know!
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

By Saturday AM, we were down to 18 teams. So Kellenberg quickly set up 2 teams (filled by our younger members and some NHS volunteers) and LIFT was divided into 2 brackets of 10 (Trick Bracket and Treat Bracket). Each team played the other 9 in their bracket, ranked, and then one final crossover game with 1st place playing 1st place, etc. Final Results are below. Stats when we get a chance.

1st and 2nd: Choate A (CT) def. Darien A (CT) 330-255
3rd and 4th: Hunter A (NY) def. JP Stevens A (NJ) 360-325
5th and 6th: Ridgewood (NJ) def. Hunter B (NY) 520-160
7th and 8th: Wilton (CT) def. North Babylon (NY) 535-55
9th and 10th: Staples (CT) def. High Tech (NJ) 480-120
11th and 12th: Valley Stream South A (NY) def. Darien B (CT) 290-230
13th and 14th: Choate C (CT) def. JP Stevens B (NJ) 285-210
15th and 16th: South Side (NY) def. Kellenberg A (NY) 290-235
17th and 18th: Valley Stream South B (NY) def. Kellenberg B (NY) 155-145
19th and 20th: Island Trees (NY) def. Choate B (CT) 160-140
lava_lock
Lulu

Post by lava_lock »

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I enjoyed this tournament a lot, and I think that opinion is held by a considerable amount of tournament attendees. I'm very grateful to Brother Nigel, Miss LaMonica, the Kellenberg team, and all staffers for making this tournament possible. That being said, there were a few issues I saw with this tournament that I think should be addressed.

Firstly, some of the staffer preparation was far below par. There were several staffers who didn't know the rules of the game when they walked in to staff Round 1. My understanding is that a significant portion of the staffers for this event came from the Kellenberg National Honors Society; while I thank them for dedicating their time to making this event happen, it also meant that many of those staffers had little to no experience with quiz bowl prior to the tournament. This seems to be a recurring phenomenon, as people who attended LIFT prior to the COVID-19 pandemic told me similar situations occurred then, indicating that this is a long-term problem for the LIFT team. Announcements seemed to say that there would be a staff meeting prior to the start of the competition this Saturday, but I've heard from teams who provided staffers that this staff meeting did not actually take place for very long. Combined with a significant amount of inexperienced staffers, this could've created for a disastrously late tournament and a very poor experience for teams (luckily, only the first round ran longer than expected and the tournament ended around 6, as advertised). However, the whole situation seems to indicate that the logistics team was not fully prepared for running the tournament. In the future, I’d hope that the LIFT team would do a better job of instructing staffers on how to moderate a game in advance of the tournament, as well as holding this staff meeting.

It's also concerning that the LIFT team did not collect rosters until the morning of the tournament. From experience entering statistics by hand, I know making rosters takes a significant amount of time and could delay the whole statistics process and therefore rebracketing on the whole. Of more concern is the value rosters have in creating fair bracketing; the average score of the crossover games was overwhelmingly in favor of the teams in the “trick” bracket. Fair bracketing is tantamount to ensuring a fair tournament for all participants, but it's very difficult to do accurately without rosters. Not collecting rosters until the tournament was an hour away was a massive oversight that I think could have easily been finished by asking for rosters in advance of the tournament

I hope that the LIFT team can fix these preparation issues for future tournaments so that participants will continue to enjoy it in the years to come. I know I'm looking forward to the next LIFT and I'm sure other teams in the region are too.

On a side note, my name is Aalok Bhattacharya, not AALOK BHADTACHARYA, and if that could be reflected in the statistics, that would be great.
Aalok Bhattacharya
Staples '23, Boston College '27
Member, Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Tournament Coordinator, American Quizbowl League