2022 JP Stevens Bird Hole I

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
KAluru
Lulu

2022 JP Stevens Bird Hole I

Post by KAluru »

The date of this tournament has changed from 12/18/21 to 2/12/22

Hello everyone,

JP Stevens is announcing Bird Hole I, a novice tournament which will take place online on Discord, February 12th, 2022. The packet set we will be using is CERES viewtopic.php?t=25055 and the field is currently capped at 24 (may be increased if there is a lot of interest and enough staffers). The tournament is going to cost $80 for the first team and $70 for any additional teams (maximum 4 teams for now). Discounts for staff will be $20 dollars, depending on if they are accepted (see the form below). Please note that as this is a novice tournament, we request that teams made up of experienced players don't attend. (Please read the eligibility rules below.)

The preferred payment method is Venmo. More information about how to pay for the tournament, along with the schedule will be given closer to the date.

To register, please fill the form: https://forms.gle/nPowi6YUsyjiMmmFA If you have any questions, contact me at [email protected]

Registrations are now closed.
Last edited by KAluru on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:17 am, edited 14 times in total.
Kushal Aluru

Rutgers '26
John P. Stevens HS '23, President ('21-'23),
KAluru
Lulu

Re: 2021 JP Stevens Bird Hole I

Post by KAluru »

The field cap is currently at 24

Teams, Affiliated Staffers (19,7) :
High Tech (1,0)
Troy (1,1)
Ithaca (1,2)
Edison (2,0)
Carmel (3,0)
West Windsor-Plainsboro North (1,1)
St. Joseph HS (1,0)
MB (1,1)
East Brunswick (3,2)
Trinity School (2,0)
Hunter (2,0)
Benjamin Banneker (1,0)
Last edited by KAluru on Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Kushal Aluru

Rutgers '26
KAluru
Lulu

Re: 2021 JP Stevens Bird Hole I, Registration form

Post by KAluru »

Please note: Staffers will be accepted based on experience with moderating/scorekeeping online tournaments. If you are unaffiliated with a team, you will be paid $20. (Teams with an affiliated staffer will receive a discount of $20.) More information will be given later for those staffing. Please fill out the form for each individual staffer: https://forms.gle/6e5bWs5rMwEvzTJ36
Last edited by KAluru on Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kushal Aluru

Rutgers '26
sophiapan
Kimahri

Post by sophiapan »

Eligibility:
to clarify, all novices attending must meet the following eligibility restrictions:
  • they have not scored 50 ppg or more at any high school tournament
  • they have not averaged 2 p/g or more at any high school tournament
  • they have not scored 50 ppg or more in a team that has placed in the top 25 of any year of MSNCT
  • they have not played on a team that has reached either playoffs of any year of HSNCT or the top half of any year of PACE
The TD reserves the right to remove players who do not meet these requirements. If you feel that a potential player could be classified as a novice despite the eligibility requirements, contact [email protected]. If there are more questions regarding eligibility, please also email the TD.

Other:
Many teams attending likely know about JP Stevens’s shortcomings in tournament running last year and we appreciate your faith in our organization to attend our tournament this year. To ensure that we will run a smoother and more well organized tournament, we have taken the following measures
  • preparing our club members much earlier and more in depth. We have began training our members three months prior to the tournament itself
  • being much more conservative about the field cap. Last year, we had a field of 42 teams and this year, we will maintain our field of 24 teams
  • having a decisive method of bracketing and breaking ties, preventing extended delays after prelims
  • advising our club members to be extremely wary of cheating and know how to act upon any suspicion or allegations
  • being willing to pay players and advisors from outside our club with more experience
  • anncouncing specific ramifications to dissuade club members from irresponsibly showing up late, not showing up, or leaving too early
  • choosing not to use any scoring bot to prevent overwhelming our moderators/scorekeepers and causing technological issues
  • thoroughly preparing our discord server to ensure that there will not be any privacy issues between channels
Last edited by sophiapan on Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sophia Pan
JP Stevens '23
komododragon655
Wakka

Post by komododragon655 »

Why were eligibility rules defined 3 weeks after the announcement of the tournament, and after 25 teams signed up? Also, is there an NAQT page for this tournament - I couldn't find one.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
Chenery Middle School '23, Belmont High School '27
Pandruwu Sheetz, ex-MSQBRank
2022 MS IPNCT Finalist (3rd), 2022 MSNCT Finalist (2nd), 2023 MSNCT Champion
[email protected] | pandruwu on Discord
njsbling
Rikku

Re: 2022 JP Stevens Bird Hole I

Post by njsbling »

This tournament is not using NAQT questions and has a form to fill out for registration (thus, it is unlikely to have an NAQT page).
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
gtag
Lulu

Post by gtag »

njsbling wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:35 pm This tournament is not using NAQT questions and has a form to fill out for registration (thus, it is unlikely to have an NAQT page).
The tournament was going to use NAQT questions and advertised the tournament as such until the NAQT hosting privileges were revoked.
george, unaffiliated
introspectivegeo
Kimahri

Post by introspectivegeo »

Hello,

I was wondering if there is still staffing positions open for this tournament or if I can sign up to staff because I probably am not able to do novice division.

Thank you for your time.
Thomas Catuosco

John Adams Middle School '21
Middlesex County Academy '25
KAluru
Lulu

Post by KAluru »

you can certainly sign up to staff!
Kushal Aluru

Rutgers '26
KAluru
Lulu

Post by KAluru »

david1mill wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:31 pm
njsbling wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:35 pm This tournament is not using NAQT questions and has a form to fill out for registration (thus, it is unlikely to have an NAQT page).
The tournament was going to use NAQT questions and advertised the tournament as such until the NAQT hosting privileges were revoked.
Correct, NAQT wanted an official school advisor, while we have an unofficial advisor.
Kushal Aluru

Rutgers '26
dennisyang1
Lulu

Post by dennisyang1 »

Is this tournament region restricted? Also, do the eligibility rules include novice high school tournaments?
Dennis Yang
Troy High (MI) 2023
KAluru
Lulu

Post by KAluru »

Answered via email, but I also wanted to post it here, the tournament is not region restricted, but keep in mind that it will run in EST. As for the eligibility requirements, they are for regular high school tournaments, though we ask teams to keep in mind to not send experienced players to a novice tournament to not discourage any new players.
Kushal Aluru

Rutgers '26
KAluru
Lulu

Post by KAluru »

the field previously said "unaffiliated staffers" which was a typo, the staffers listed on the field are staffers affiliated with the teams.
Kushal Aluru

Rutgers '26
KAluru
Lulu

Post by KAluru »

The tournament has concluded. Thank you to all the participants, we hope you had a great time! The tournament finished an hour earlier than expected and ran for 10 rounds. A special thank you to sophia pan, as my fellow co-TD, along with our advisor Jeff Xie, Aum Mundhe and the staffers, especially the JPers who staffed for the first time!
Kushal Aluru

Rutgers '26