2021 Northfield Fall League

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
oriley
Wakka

2021 Northfield Fall League

Post by oriley »

I, Owen Riley, am pleased to announce that I will be hosting the Minnesota mirror of NEWT, a high school “regular-plus” difficulty set. Teams comfortable with the difficulty of 2019 HFT, the prototypical “easier regular plus” set, should be comfortable playing NEWT.

This tournament will take place online over Zoom and Buzzin.live in a “league-style” format, with games played from 2:00 PM to 4:30 PM Central on November 7, 14, and 21, and December 5 . Those are all Sundays. Teams will be guaranteed as close to 12 games as field size allows. If many teams desire a different time during the day to play their games, I will consider running two groups at different times.

Registration
To register to play this tournament, teams should fill out this form. Staffers will be paid $30 for staffing the whole tournament, and should register by filling out this form. The field cap for this tournament will initially be set at 12 teams, but will expand if we have enough staffers.

Fees
Base fee: - $70
Staffer discount: -$30
New-to-quizbowl discount: -$50

The new-to-quizbowl discount is for schools who did not send a team to a regular, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2021. This does not include Knowledge Bowl or outreach tournaments exclusive to novices.

Cheating
To prevent cheating, all players will be required to have both of their hands and their screen in view of a camera. This may be easily accomplished with a second camera angle, or by buzzing on a phone. For this reason, unfortunately we will not be able to permit any camera exemptions. Those who have issues with Internet who wish to play this tournament might inquire as to whether their team can meet in-person in one location, such as a school classroom.

We heard zero accusations of cheating at our online mirror of ACF Fall, and we are eager to keep that streak intact.

Payment
Teams must email me their plan for payment at the latest by 10:00 PM central on Saturday, November 6. I prefer Venmo or a check, but please reach out if you prefer a different payment method. My email is oriley1201 AT icloud DOT com.

Field
Out-of-state teams are allowed to register, but will be waitlisted until Tuesday, November 2 in order to allow Minnesota teams in first. This tournament will not accept many out-of-state teams into the field, and each must be approved by the NEWT team. If there is a NEWT mirror in your region, consider playing that instead.

Teams who drop from the field after Friday, November 5 must pay the full registration fee. This includes teams that drop midway through the tournament. Don’t drop midway through the tournament. It robs a number of teams of a game of quizbowl. More importantly, it makes the statistician’s job unacceptably easier.
Owen Riley
Inver Hills ’23
Northfield coach
oriley
Wakka

Re: 2021 Northfield Fall League

Post by oriley »

A small edit to the schedule of this tournament. Games will take place on November 14, November 21, December 5, and December 12. Those are all Sundays. No games will take place on November 7.
Owen Riley
Inver Hills ’23
Northfield coach