Experienced Readers Sought for IAC Nationals [December 3-20, Online]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Arthur.Ramsay
Lulu

Experienced Readers Sought for IAC Nationals [December 3-20, Online]

Post by Arthur.Ramsay »

IAC has its first (and hopefully only) online National Championships coming up over the next few weeks. The full schedule can be found here. If you are an experienced reader and would be interested in helping us out (this is a paid position - see below), that would be most welcome. Students who were in the high school class of 2020 are welcome to read for events in which no one from their former high school is playing; younger readers are not being sought.

If you are interested in staffing our 2020 National Championships, please fill out the form here as soon as you are able to, so that we can get a sense of your availability. It's fine if you can't yet commit to certain events or days, but if you could give us some general idea as to your availability for each of the 3 weeks, that would be great. We will then be in touch so that we can confirm which dates and times do or do not work for you.

We're basically all set with proctors at the moment, but we'd be happy to have as many experienced readers as possible for all of our buzzer-based rounds, especially on Saturday, December 5 and Sunday, December 6, so if you would be able to read for any of the time blocks on either or both of those days, that would be especially helpful. There is no need to read for the whole day; even just one time block would be great.

In terms of compensation, the basic rate is $10 per match. The duration of each match on average should be about 30-35 minutes on average, though matches start on the hour (so you'd usually have 20 minutes or so of free time between matches). Note that we will also need backup staff for many events. While backup staff positions are not explicitly listed on the form, please note that your availability commitment needs to be the same (i.e. committing to a backup position means we need to be able to count on you for that time block just as much as we normally would for a reader/proctor position). If all readers end up showing up as expected, then we will let you know by the scheduled start time of the exam/first match in a block, and then you would be free to go. If this happens, you would earn $10 (i.e. equivalent to one match within a certain time block, which typically would be 3-5 matches).

If you have any other questions, please contact [email protected].
Arthur W. Ramsay
Member, PACE
Half Hollow Hills West '14, SUNY Empire State '17
I have never been Cal's Smartest Student nor have I won Teen Jeopardy!