Yale's BHSAT 2013 Available for Spring Hosts

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Yale's BHSAT 2013 Available for Spring Hosts

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Greetings, everyone! I am pleased to officially announce this year's Bulldog High School Academic Tournament set (BHSAT XXII), for use at tournaments in the spring of 2013. The set for BHSAT 2013 will be written by select members of the Yale University quizbowl team. I, Matt Jackson, will once again serve as the head editor of the set, and will be assisted in that role by Spencer Weinreich, Ashvin Srivatsa, and Kevin Koai. In this role, I will again do my best to provide the well-regarded question quality, fresh question ideas, and occasional whimsy or humor of the past two BHSAT sets.

The main site will be hosted on Saturday, March 2 at Yale University in New Haven, CT. I am also pleased to publicly confirm, as Sean Phillips and the board of WUAT already have, that the set will debut early at a second flagship site - this year's WUHSAC at Washington University in Saint Louis - on February 16. We have the highest confidence that Sean and WUAT will do an excellent job and are proud to support them in developing the Missouri quizbowl circuit.

We are seeking to establish other mirror sites across the country where appropriate. The set will be available for use at other sites from the weekend of February 16th until the weekend of May 19th (i.e. the weekend just prior to the 2013 NAQT High School National Championship in Atlanta, Georgia), at which point it will be uploaded to the archive for public use. If you are interested in mirroring BHSAT, please email me at [email protected] and wait for me to confirm. (We're also open to uses for singles events, All-Star Team tryouts, or other legitimate purposes - just email and we'll work out a suitable arrangement.)

The mirror fee, payable to "Y. Student Academic Competitions," is 10 dollars per non-house team in attendance. All else being equal, we will show a preference for hosts which demonstrate their capacity for outreach to a wide number of teams in their area.

Set details:

The set will consist of fourteen (14) packets of equal difficulty. Tossups will be five to six lines long in 10 point Times New Roman. No tossup will exceed the sixth line of text and no bonus part will exceed two full lines of text. All tossups will be worth 10 points all the way through (there will not be power marks). Host sites must agree not to modify, subtract from, add to, or edit the set.

The target difficulty of BHSAT 2013 is "the same as BHSAT 2011," as can be seen on the packet archive. We will be mindful of the ways in which we overshot that difficulty last year, and are ensuring that the bulk of all tossups and bonuses are appropriate for all teams, as they were in 2011.

Packets will be distributed as follows:
4/4 Literature (at least 1/1 each American, British, European, .5/.5 one more of the above, .5/.5 World)
4/4 Science (1/1 biology, 1/1 chemistry, 1/1 physics, 1/1 other science, with a heavy focus on math)
4/4 History (1/1 American, 2/2 European/British/Ancient, 1/1 World, Canadian/Australian where appropriate in context)
2.5/2.5 Religion, Myth, Philosophy (1/1 each Religion and Myth, .5/.5 Philosophy)
2.5/2.5 Fine Arts (1/1 Visual and 1/1 Auditory guaranteed per packet, .5/.5 one more of the above)
.5/.5 Social Science
.5/.5 Miscellaneous and Mixed*
1/1 Geography/Current Events (approx. .66/.66 Geo, .33/.33 CE)
1/1 Trash/Pop Culture

*These questions will be some combination of miscellaneous content of importance to intellectually curious high schoolers on one hand, and purely academic questions whose clues come from multiple academic categories (in the vein of NAQT's Mixed_Pure_Academic questions) on the other.

Each packet will feature a tiebreaker tossup and an extra bonus, which could come from any academic category.

A list of scheduled sites follows. We're still looking for plenty of sites across the country (and beyond? Canada?) - in particular in the Northwest, Ohio, and the Kentucky/Tennessee region.

Scheduled sites:
Missouri: February 16, WUHSAC at Washington University in Saint Louis. Contact Sean Phillips ([email protected]).
Main Site: March 2, BHSAT XXII at Yale University, New Haven, CT. Contact me ([email protected]).
Southeast (SC/GA): March 9, BHSAT at Emory (co-host with Georgia Tech). Contact Adam Silverman ([email protected]).
North Carolina: March 23, CAST I at UNC Chapel Hill. Contact Ryan Rosenberg ([email protected]).
Louisiana/Gulf Coast: April 13 at Tulane, New Orleans, LA. Contact Katherine Barnett ([email protected]).
Mid-Atlantic (lower): April 20, VCU Season Finale. Contact Cody Voight ([email protected]).
Illinois: April 20, ATROPHY IV at Northern Illinois University. Contact Brad Fischer ([email protected]).
Southern California: May 18, Triton Spring at UCSD (co-host with Madison HS). Contact UCSD Quizbowl ([email protected]).
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Wed May 01, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: Yale's BHSAT 2013 Available for Spring Hosts

I'm pleased to announce that this year's BHSAT will be used at the VCU Season Finale on Saturday, April 20, 2013. Contact Cody Voight ([email protected]) for more information.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

We are glad to announce that this year's BHSAT will be used in Illinois at ATROPHY IV, to be hosted by NIU on April 20. Contact Brad Fischer for further information.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

We're glad to see the BHSAT set used in Minnesota again after a year's hiatus there. The University of Minnesota will be using BHSAT for the competitive division of its MONUMENT tournament, to be held on Saturday, March 2. Contact Gaurav Kandlikar for more information.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Good news for Southeast teams - in mid-March, Georgia Tech and Emory plan to co-host a mirror of BHSAT directed by Adam Silverman on Emory's campus. Stay tuned for an update from him about which weekend in March that will be on.

EDIT: This event will be held on March 9.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

The Southern California mirror of BHSAT will once again take place at UCSD's Triton Spring tournament. Contact UCSD Quizbowl at [email protected] for more information.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

We're glad to announce that Tulane University in New Orleans will be hosting its second annual BHSAT mirror on Saturday, April 13! Not unreasonably far from Houston or Jackson, Mississippi, if this turns out to be the closest site to either of those places. Email their club president, Katherine Barnett, at [email protected] for more information.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

junior3643
Kimahri

Post by junior3643 »

Is there no thread for the Northern Illinois University Host site? If we want to sign up do we just email Brad Fischer and will he tell us the details? Thanks. :grin:

User was reminded to enable a signature. --the mgmt

TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

junior3643 wrote:Is there no thread for the Northern Illinois University Host site? If we want to sign up do we just email Brad Fischer and will he tell us the details? Thanks. :grin:

User was reminded to enable a signature. --the mgmt
This has just been brought to my attention, and a thread has been posted.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Threads for all the existent sites are posted and linked to above.

We're still looking for mirrors in several circuits - are you from Michigan? Ohio? Kentucky/Tennessee? NorCal? Somewhere else where there isn't a nearby mirror yet? Contact me - it's not too late to set up a tournament for some time between now and May, and we'd be glad to talk to you about our set if you're considering hosting one!
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

As far as we know, the Minnesota site has been cancelled. We still plan to clear the set after the SoCal mirror concludes on May 18; anyone who wants to try and fit in a last-minute use between now and then should contact me ASAP!
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

The BHSAT set is now posted. Thanks to all seven of our mirror hosts for doing an excellent job promoting quizbowl in their areas.

Tulane: You still have not paid your mirror fees. Contact me ASAP.
Matt J.
member emeritus, ACF