CALISTO (Regular HS, 2020)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Arras Agility
Wakka

CALISTO (Regular HS, 2020)

Post by Arras Agility »

CALISTO (CALIfornia Spring TOurnament), a regular-difficulty high school set, will be available for mirrors starting January 4, 2020.

Writers/Editors

The set will be written by various Californians, and head-edited by Justin French. Our editing team also includes Shahar Schwartz, Avinash Iyer, Jeffrey Ma, Anishka Bandara, and me, Alistair Gray. Production will be overseen by Ankit Aggarwal and James Malouf. I will be handling set logistics.

Set Details

The set will be 15 packets of 20/20 power-marked tossups and bonuses, including a packet of tiebreakers and extras. Tossups will be capped at six lines of 10-point Times New Roman.

Our distribution is:
4/4 Literature (1/1 Long Fiction, 1/1 Poetry, .75/.75 Drama, .75/.75 Other Literature, .5/.5 Mixed)
4/4 History (1/1 US, 1/1 European, 1/1 World, .5/.5 British, .5/.5 Classical/Ancient)
4.5/4.5 Science (1/1 Physics, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Biology, 0.5/0.5 Math, 1/1 Other Science)
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Visual, 1/1 Auditory, 1/1 Other)
2.5/2.5 RMPSS (0.75/0.75 Religion, 0.75/0.75 Mythology, 0.25/0.25 Philosophy, 0.75/0.75 Social Science)
2/2 Other (0.5/0.5 Geography, 0.5/0.5 Current Events, 0.5/0.5 Mixed Academic, 0.5/0.5 Popular Culture)

Mirrors

The mirror fee will be $10 per non-house team playing the set. We're looking for mirrors in all circuits; please email me at [email protected] if you would like to mirror, or if you have any questions about the set. Thank you!

edit 6/22: We've added Anishka Bandara as an editor and changed the distribution to have .5/.5 more Other Science, taking that space away from Philosophy.
Last edited by Arras Agility on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alistair Gray
Homestead '18
UCSD '22
Arras Agility
Wakka

Re: CALISTO (Regular HS, 2020)

Post by Arras Agility »

Current Mirrors:
Last edited by Arras Agility on Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:45 am, edited 10 times in total.
Alistair Gray
Homestead '18
UCSD '22
Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

Can you comment on the reasoning behind the unorthodox distribution of this tournament?
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

ansonberns wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:27 am Can you comment on the reasoning behind the unorthodox distribution of this tournament?
We elected to have a smaller than usual amount of philosophy (.25/.25) because we believe that philosophy is not commonly learned in high school classes and is not a large area of amateur interest among high schoolers. Note that .25/.25 still comes out to 4/4 over the whole set, so philosophy will still be noticeable, just as a minor category rather than a major category.

In place of philosophy, we are asking a greater amount of computer science, astronomy, and earth science since those categories are all either taught in school, have a large amount of amateur interest, or both. Although this makes science 4.5/4.5, upsetting the symmetry of the so-called "big three," science is such a diverse category that (in our opinion) it necessitates being larger.

The only other abnormality in the distribution is that we are distributing literature by genre rather than geography. This has been done by multiple previous HS tournaments, and, given the small askable range of geographies at this level, makes a lot more sense than a geographical distribution.
Justine French
she/her
Hypersmart
Lulu

Post by Hypersmart »

justinfrench1728 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:54 pm We elected to have a smaller than usual amount of philosophy (.25/.25) because we believe that philosophy is not commonly learned in high school classes and is not a large area of amateur interest among high schoolers.
justinfrench1728 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:54 pm In place of philosophy, we are asking a greater amount of computer science, astronomy, and earth science since those categories are all either taught in school, have a large amount of amateur interest, or both. Although this makes science 4.5/4.5, upsetting the symmetry of the so-called "big three," science is such a diverse category that (in our opinion) it necessitates being larger.
While it is a good idea to include more "relevant" science and show love to categories which are underrepresented in quizbowl, I'm worried that it comes at the cost of other categories. For example, Math, Geography, CE, Social Science, and Trash have a greater distribution than Philosophy.
In my admittedly limited opinion, this might not be a good idea. Geography, Current Events, and Trash aren't really taught in school. Math and Social Science aren't taught (in high school) in a way thats naturally conducive to quizbowl.

I can't suggest a distribution that better either.
Veer R
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

This distribution is good. It's not the only way to do things, but neither is any other distribution. I would prefer making the math 1/1 and the other science .5/.5, or making them both .75/.75, but it's not my tournament, and these are things that reasonable people can disagree on.

.25/.25 philosophy for regular high school difficulty is enough philosophy. If somebody else wants to do .5/.5, that can be done, but I think that Justin's assessment of philosophy is accurate. In higher difficulties, there should be more philosophy than .25/.25, but I don't see the need for more at regular high school difficulty.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

Hypersmart wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 pm In my admittedly limited opinion, this might not be a good idea. Geography, Current Events, and Trash aren't really taught in school.
There is a lot of extracurricular interest in these categories (and also in math and parts of social science), unlike philosophy, which has a fairly small amount of extracurricular interest at this level.
Hypersmart wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 pm Math and Social Science aren't taught (in high school) in a way thats naturally conducive to quizbowl.
I don't think this is true— anecdotally I've gotten lots of buzzes from high school math and economics, and we are writing our questions specifically to reward knowledge that is taught in school.
Justine French
she/her
Arras Agility
Wakka

Post by Arras Agility »

CALISTO is 68% complete, and still looking for mirrors in many regions!

We have also decided, on Ankit's suggestion, to waive the mirror fee for teams that hosts would charge $10 or less from schools classified under Title I of the ESEA; we hope that this policy will help hosts in efforts to expand quizbowl to high-poverty schools that might be priced out.
Alistair Gray
Homestead '18
UCSD '22
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

We would like to use this set in Ohio 1/11/20.
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

We are excited to use the set.
adhvaithr7
Lulu

Post by adhvaithr7 »

I would like to know what set is similar to CALISTO, so that way I can accordingly study those packets.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Adhvaith Ravi
Washington High, 2024
eygotem
Wakka

Post by eygotem »

adhvaithr7 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:09 pm I would like to know what set is similar to CALISTO, so that way I can accordingly study those packets.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Check out sets labelled "(2)" on https://quizbowlpackets.com/ (i.e. WHAQ, LIST, etc.) - those should be around the same difficulty level.
June Yin (they/them)
Ladue 2021
WUSTL 2026(?)
Arras Agility
Wakka

Post by Arras Agility »

All mirrors have finished and the set has been posted.

I'm glad to hear the overwhelmingly positive response to the set, and would like to thank all the writers and editors who made it as good as it; in particular, Justine was an excellent head editor and contributed tons of labor to this project. I hope the set will serve as a model for high-quality questions at high school regular difficulty in years to come.
Alistair Gray
Homestead '18
UCSD '22