Scobol Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA 2019-20

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Scobol Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA 2019-20

Post by Stained Diviner »

This announcement actually covers four sets.

Scobol Solo is a tossup only set. It contains 14 regular rounds, one replacement round, and a 60 question championship round, with tiebreakers for all rounds. It is about 400 tossups total.

The main site will be at New Trier (near Chicago) on Saturday, November 16. If I am given enough warning, I probably can have the set done a little earlier than that. The cost to mirror is $3 per player. Each round has one question each in physics, chem, bio, math, other science, US hist, Eur hist, world hist, military history, US lit, Brit lit, Euro & World lit, poetry, painting, music, other fine arts, social science/philosophy, religion/myth, geography, and current events.

I am also producing the Masonic and Reinstein Sets, which share many of the same questions, so you can only use one of them (though you can use Solo and one of the others because there is no overlap with Solo). They will be available March 7. The cost is $10 per team.

The Masonic Set distribution is:
Lit 4/4
Social Studies (mostly history) 4/4
Science (not including math) 4/4
Math 2/2
Fine Arts 1/2
Miscellaneous 1/0
The Masonic Set is 16 rounds of 16/16. The first eight rounds are easier than the last eight rounds.

The Reinstein Set distribution is:
Lit 4.5/4.5
History 4.5/3.5
Science not including Math 5/5
Math 1/3
Fine Arts 2/2
Religion and Mythology 1/1
Social Studies 1/1 (geography, US government, psych, econ, current events)
Miscellaneous 1/0 (pop culture, journalism, sports, agriculture, industrial arts, technology, consumer education)
The Reinstein Set is 12 rounds of 20/20.

The Masonic and Reinstein Sets have computational bonus parts but no computational tossups. The Solo set does not have computation.

Past iterations of these sets are available in the Question Database, so feel free to check those out if there are any concerns about quality.

This year I am also producing a middle school set that follows the IESA format and distribution. The primary target audience is Illinois middle school conferences, but other people can use it too--contact me if you want to discuss cost. Because it follows IESA distribution, the bonuses are four parts meant to be read all at once, with teams giving their answers all at once after conferring. Pavithr Goli and Mike Laudermith are helping me write this set.

The Reinstein IESA Set distribution is:
Language Arts (including Lit): 5/4
Social Studies (including History): 5/4
Science (not including Math): 5/4
Math: 5/4
Fine Arts: 2/2
Miscellaneous: 2/2
The Reinstein IESA Set is 15 rounds of 24/20. There will be computational tossups and bonuses. It will definitely be available by the beginning of January 2020, and earlier uses are possible if I am given enough warning.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Scobol Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA 2019-20

Set Uses:

Scobol Solo:
11/16 New Trier
12/14 Iowa
12/21 Piasa Southwestern (IL)
3/28 Tennessee Singles

Masonics:
3/7 Illinois
3/7 Iowa

Reinstein:
3/12 Belton BASIC (MO)
3/14 Bulldog Regional Interscholastic Challenge (Mexico, MO)
3/14 Orchard Farm (MO)
3/28 VCU (without computational bonuses) (cancelled)

IESA Style:
see this post
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

There is a thread titled 2019 Scobol Solo Discussion. People who are going to participate in Scobol Solo at New Trier can join it now. Do not join it if you or students you coach might play on the Solo set at a later date, which in some states includes NASAT tryouts.
David Reinstein
Arjun_G
Lulu

Post by Arjun_G »

What are the difficulties of the aforementioned sets? I can't seem to find them on the post.
Arjun Gonuguntla
Mira Loma High School
2019 - Present
Stained Diviner
Auron

High School Regular for Solo and Reinstein. The Championship Round of Solo is High School Nationals, though I don't know whether that will be used in the online tournament.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

My high school questions from this year are now posted to the archives. The middle school questions will not be posted so that they can be sold as practice questions and so that they can hopefully be used next year to play matches that got cancelled this year.

For 2020-21, I will produce the same sets. The Solo set will only be mirrored and posted next year if there can be a Solo main event either in person or online that can attract at least 100 people or thereabouts. The Masonic and Reinstein sets will only be mirrored and posted if the Illinois Masonic Tournament occurs. The IESA sets will only be used if Illinois middle schools are playing Scholastic Bowl by the end of February.
David Reinstein