Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA 21-22

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA 21-22

Post by Stained Diviner »

This announcement actually covers four or five sets.

Scobol Solo is a tossup only set. It contains 14 regular rounds, one replacement round, and a 60 question championship round, with tiebreakers for all rounds. It is about 400 tossups total.

I am hoping that the main site will be at New Trier (near Chicago) on Saturday, November 13. Once I use the set, it will be available for mirrors. The cost to mirror is $4 per player. Each round has one question each in physics, chem, bio, math, other science, US hist, Eur hist, world hist, military history, US lit, Brit lit, Euro & World lit, poetry, painting, music, other fine arts, social science/philosophy, religion/myth, geography, and current events.

I am also producing the Masonic and Reinstein Sets, which share many of the same questions with each other, so you can only use one of them (though you can use Solo and one of the others because there is no overlap with Solo). They will be available March 5. The cost is $12 per team.

The Masonic Set distribution is:
Lit 4/4
Social Studies (mostly history) 4/4
Science (not including math) 4/4
Math 2/2
Fine Arts 1/2
Miscellaneous 1/0
The Masonic Set is 16 rounds of 16/16. The first eight rounds are easier than the last eight rounds.

The Reinstein Set distribution is:
Lit 4.5/4.5
History 4.5/3.5
Science not including Math 5/5
Math 1/3
Fine Arts 2/2
Religion and Mythology 1/1
Social Studies 1/1 (geography, US government, psych, econ, current events)
Miscellaneous 1/0 (pop culture, journalism, sports, agriculture, industrial arts, technology, consumer education)
The Reinstein Set is 12 rounds of 20/20.

There is a possibility that the Reinstein Set will also have a VCU version, also available starting in early March, that has a more standard distribution and no computation.

The Masonic and Reinstein Sets have computational bonus parts but no computational tossups. The Solo set and VCU version (if it exists) of the Reinstein Set do not have computation.

Past iterations of these sets are available in the Question Database, so feel free to check those out if there are any concerns about quality.

I am also producing a middle school set that follows the IESA format and distribution. The primary target audience is Illinois middle school conferences, but other people can use it too--contact me if you want to discuss cost. Because it follows IESA distribution, the bonuses are four parts meant to be read all at once, with teams giving their answers all at once after conferring. Mike Laudermith is writing the science, and I am writing the rest.

The Reinstein IESA Set distribution is:
Language Arts (including Lit): 5/4
Social Studies (including History): 5/4
Science (not including Math): 5/4
Math: 5/4
Fine Arts: 2/2
Miscellaneous: 2/2

The Reinstein IESA Set is 15 rounds of 24/20. There will be computational tossups and bonuses. It probably will be available by the beginning of October, and you should contact me if that is an issue. I am also selling the last two year's questions for practice, both in rounds and by category.

I am writing pretty much all of the high school questions myself with significant editing help from Jonah Greenthal, who wrote a small number of questions. The VCU version if it exists will have some questions written and edited by VCU. I am writing all the IESA questions except for science, which is being written by Mike Laudermith. The high school questions are all written except for Current Events, and the questions are now being edited. About half of the middle school questions are drafted at this point, and most of the rest will be written this month, with most of the editing probably happening in August.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Solo, Masonics, Reinstein, Reinstein IESA 21-22

Thanks to Jonah, Reinstein QuizBowl now has a website.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

A few announcement, some of which are relevant to this thread. Tournament announcements will be made shortly.

The VCU version of the Reinstein Set will exist. The VCU version of the set will contain approximately 100 new questions written to modify this set from the Illinois distribution to a more typical ACF or PACE-style distro, resulting in 12 packets of the following:
4/4 lit
4/4 history
4/4 science including 1/0 non-computational math
3/3 arts
3/3 religion, mythology, philosophy, and social science
2/2 pop culture, sports, current events, history of science and technology, and misc academic (maximum 1/1 non-academic per packet)
1/0 tiebreaker/extra question in each packet drawn from major academic categories
The version of the set run at VCU will replace .5/.5 of the arts with "Virginia content." The set provided nationally will contain none of this and follow the above distribution, though local hosts may consider writing 6/6 of local-themed content on their own.

The mirror fee of the VCU version, like the regular Reinstein Set, is $12 per team. You should contact me if you are interested. VCU will use the set May 7. We will consider earlier mirrors if asked, but anything before March 5 is out of the question.

The main site for Scobol Solo will be Sandburg High School on November 13. Sandburg is in Orland Park, which is in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. If you want to register, go to https://www.scobolsolo.com/register/.

The tournament formerly known as the New Trier Varsity Tournament is now the Reinstein Varsity Tournament. (I was the chair and only member of the Tournament Renaming Committee.) It will take place December 18 at a high school in the Chicago northwest suburbs. Registration information will be available shortly. It will use ARCADIA and IS-207A.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

As an update, the Solo set was used twice in Illinois and once in Iowa.
The Reinstein Set will be used at VCU and two tournaments in Missouri.
The IESA style set has been purchased by 29 Illinois schools and one Alabama school for a variety of uses.
I will be the official IESA question provider for 2023, 2024, and 2025.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

All of the sets are now ready.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

After Solo was used last week in Kentucky and Reinstein was used this week in Virginia, I believe that these sets are no longer being played. If nobody contacts me this week, then I will post Solo, Masonics, and Reinstein in about a week.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Everything is up. The Reinstein Set entry has both versions of the set.
David Reinstein