Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.
Post Reply
User avatar
quizbowllee
Auron
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:12 am
Location: Alabama

Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by quizbowllee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:31 am

Apologies if this shouldn't be in the "Theory" section. I debated whether to post here or in "Miscellaneous," but ultimately I felt that this was the right forum. I think that what we are going to discuss falls under "theory" because these are things that have fallen out of quiz bowl vogue for a REASON. It will be interesting to discuss the reasons behind the demises of these relics of quiz bowl's past.

So, basically I was thinking back on things that have changed and realized that the game has evolved a good bit in the past several years. There are elements of quiz bowl that were around as late as 2010 that today's players have never experienced. For example, I was recently reading an older set of NAQT questions to my team and a 30-20-10 bonus came up. They had no idea what this was. I had to explain that they were fairly prevalent a few years back and that I just hadn't seen one in years.

So, while I understand the reason that 30-20-10 bonuses have vanished, I have to admit that I kind of miss them. I don't think they should come back, but I have a nostalgic soft spot in my heart for them.

So, what other "Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past" have gone the way of the 30-20-10? Does anyone know exactly when they vanished? Why did they go? Do you miss them?

I thought this might be a fun discussion.
Last edited by quizbowllee on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

User avatar
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron
Posts: 3178
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:47 pm
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:43 am

"A, B, both or neither" bonuses.

Example:

State whether each of the following statements is true of Budapest, true of Bucharest, true of both, or neither
[10] Is located on a river
ANSWER: both
[10] Contains a slightly-larger replica of the Champs-Elysee
ANSWER: Bucharest
[10] Is home to the European Court of Justice
ANSWER: neither
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron
Posts: 2613
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Adventure Temple Trail » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:08 am

Not really in keeping with the first two examples, but: When I was "growing up" in high school quizbowl in the mid-Atlantic, it was often the case at some of the bigger high school-hosted tournaments (maybe for 4 or 5 times each year) that there would be a breakfast put out for teams in attendance, as well as the parents, coaches, staff, etc. that brought them there. It wasn't always enough for everyone, but knowing even that there would be some small amount of bagels, donuts, orange juice, sometimes small muffins or even coffee, etc. was often a large relief when planning a morning of early wake-ups and hectic travel.

From what I can tell, this happens a lot less often now. I realize a lot of school/team budgets are tighter now than they were in 2008, and it's probably better if that money goes towards helping the host team pay for travel to nationals than into the stomachs of high school students and their accompanying adults, but it was always a nice touch when it happened. Perhaps teams were more able to provide in this way when tournaments were both larger and less frequent, so it didn't take as large or important a chunk out of the intake.
Matt J.
ex-Georgetown Day HS, ex-Yale
member emeritus, ACF

Sailing away on my copper boat

Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator
Posts: 1815
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:43 am

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Susan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:22 am

My favorite ghost of quizbowl past, as I'm sure I've mentioned in other similar threads, is the Deep Bench format. How this worked is that each school would field one team of eight people; this team would play half the tournament as two teams of four and the other half as three teams of two and two solo teams (you'd have two simultaneous round robins in which all the A quads and B quads would play each other, then five simultaneous round robins in which each school's first singles, second singles, first doubles, second, doubles, and third doubles would play each other, if that makes sense). Usually the scoring was tiered--say, you'd get five points for a match won by your first doubles team, but only three for the second doubles team and one for the first doubles team. I found playing on different sorts of teams over the course of the tournament to be pretty fun.

The problem with Deep Bench is that the questions at nearly every Deep Bench were unusually awful*, and there were A LOT of them (unsurprisingly, this format featured way more rounds than most). Bizarrely, the 2000 Deep Bench featured a sort of quizbowl mixer before actual rounds began in which the tournament hosts randomly assembled mixed teams from all of the players in attendance and had them play a couple of scrimmage rounds (this tournament must have set some sort of record for "number of rounds played in a weekend when we were really just playing one tournament")--this was actually pretty fun, but completely impractical from a time and question-writing standpoint.

*Even in 2001, it was not generally acceptable for the first two sentences of a geography question to read "It is the nation's largest city and its economic and administrative hub. A cultural center, the city has a noted opera house, the Royal Dramatic theatre built in 1908, and many museums," nor was it usual for a question on the Highlander to begin, "Born in the highlands of Scotland...". The 2001 Deep Bench also featured a bizarre "rules innovation" in which each packet would contain a lie (the subtitle of the tournament was "Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics"). Unsurprisingly, this did not catch on.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF

bdavery
Lulu
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:29 am
Location: Centennial CO
Contact:

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by bdavery » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:36 am

With respect to Matt's food thing...in my day, most kids who saw food at a tournament ate it and were glad to get it. Even the weeks-old packaged Day's Inn danishes were scarfed up in record time.

But in the last 7-10 years, since my kids started being teenagers, we've seen all kinds of food, brought by all kinds of people, for teenagers to social non-quizbowl events, at all times of day or night, and seen it go mostly uneaten/thrown out because everyone 's on some sort of "diet"--now it's even the boys. It runs the gamut from some actual diet/eating plan (that just started this morning, half the time) to what grown-ups used to call "picky eaters"--and every gradation in between. (Alas, even my own kids are not immune.)

It only takes one time for an adult coach to spend $X on stuff he's been told (by his team) that kids will eat--and have to take home/throw away > 50% because the bagel eaters won't touch danish and vice-versa, and the milk is 2% and not whole or skim, etc. --before he says "never, ever again."
Bryce Avery
President, Avery Enterprises
http://www.averyenterprises.net/quizbowl-blog

User avatar
Benin Rebirth Party
Yuna
Posts: 783
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Farhaven, Ontario

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Benin Rebirth Party » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:43 am

I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, but there seems to be a lot fewer organic chemistry questions on reactions named for people as there were back when I started in the late first decade.
Joe Su
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 20--

FINALIST -- 2017 ILQBM MEME OF THE YEAR

User avatar
heterodyne
Rikku
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 am

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by heterodyne » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:47 pm

bdavery wrote:With respect to Matt's food thing...in my day, most kids who saw food at a tournament ate it and were glad to get it. Even the weeks-old packaged Day's Inn danishes were scarfed up in record time.

But in the last 7-10 years, since my kids started being teenagers, we've seen all kinds of food, brought by all kinds of people, for teenagers to social non-quizbowl events, at all times of day or night, and seen it go mostly uneaten/thrown out because everyone 's on some sort of "diet"--now it's even the boys. It runs the gamut from some actual diet/eating plan (that just started this morning, half the time) to what grown-ups used to call "picky eaters"--and every gradation in between. (Alas, even my own kids are not immune.)

It only takes one time for an adult coach to spend $X on stuff he's been told (by his team) that kids will eat--and have to take home/throw away > 50% because the bagel eaters won't touch danish and vice-versa, and the milk is 2% and not whole or skim, etc. --before he says "never, ever again."
Not really sure that this is what's causing the problem. I've been to a couple of tournaments with breakfast, and over half of it going uneaten has never been a problem. Just because "kids these days" don't want to undiscerningly shovel food into their mouths doesn't mean that nobody will eat a selection of doughnuts and bagels.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
he/him/his or they/them/their

User avatar
quizbowllee
Auron
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:12 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by quizbowllee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:34 pm

As for the food issue, here is my experience:

I wanted the first high school invitational I ever hosted to be an EVENT. We hired a caterer and had a massive meal for all the teams. It hurt our profit, but I wanted to establish our tournament as something "classy" that teams would remember and would want to attend.

Coaches, kids, and parents just complained and whined to the point that I decided "never again." From that point on, we order pizza and sell it.
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

User avatar
quizbowllee
Auron
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:12 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by quizbowllee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:38 pm

Also:

List bonuses.

Also, I miss this bonus lead-in:

"For 5 points for one, 10 for two, 20 for three, or 30 for all four..."
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15269
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by AKKOLADE » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:39 pm

I always liked the old NSC format.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
Corry
Rikku
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Corry » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:52 pm

In SoCal, every tournament still has food in the morning. Sweet, sweet Costco blueberry muffins...

Somebody needs to make this a national thing again, ASAP.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor

User avatar
Rococo A Go Go
Auron
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:56 pm

bdavery wrote:But in the last 7-10 years, since my kids started being teenagers, we've seen all kinds of food, brought by all kinds of people, for teenagers to social non-quizbowl events, at all times of day or night, and seen it go mostly uneaten/thrown out because everyone 's on some sort of "diet"--now it's even the boys. It runs the gamut from some actual diet/eating plan (that just started this morning, half the time) to what grown-ups used to call "picky eaters"--and every gradation in between.
Speaking of the ghosts of the past...
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

Eddie
Rikku
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Eddie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:00 pm

Corry wrote:In SoCal, every tournament still has food in the morning. Sweet, sweet Costco blueberry muffins...

Somebody needs to make this a national thing again, ASAP.
A lot of tournaments in SoCal also sell food during lunch. Usually something simple like pizza from Costco, but it saves a lot of time for people that don't want to walk or drive to nearby eateries, and it makes a nice profit for the tournament hosts, so it's a win-win for both parties.
Eddie Kim
he/him/his
local lad, no major affiliations

User avatar
quizbowllee
Auron
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:12 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by quizbowllee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:25 pm

Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:I always liked the old NSC format.
The old NSC format was interesting. The Category Quiz is something I miss just because, when practicing for it, I would yell "CHOOSE!!!" in an overly dramatic and ominous manner after every single tossup. Imagine the "Choose your fate" voice from Mortal Kombat, only louder, angrier, and slightly more Southern.

That's the only reason I miss it, though.
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

User avatar
Vainamoinen
Lulu
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:50 pm

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Vainamoinen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Matthew Jackson wrote:Not really in keeping with the first two examples, but: When I was "growing up" in high school quizbowl in the mid-Atlantic, it was often the case at some of the bigger high school-hosted tournaments (maybe for 4 or 5 times each year) that there would be a breakfast put out for teams in attendance, as well as the parents, coaches, staff, etc. that brought them there. It wasn't always enough for everyone, but knowing even that there would be some small amount of bagels, donuts, orange juice, sometimes small muffins or even coffee, etc. was often a large relief when planning a morning of early wake-ups and hectic travel.

From what I can tell, this happens a lot less often now. I realize a lot of school/team budgets are tighter now than they were in 2008, and it's probably better if that money goes towards helping the host team pay for travel to nationals than into the stomachs of high school students and their accompanying adults, but it was always a nice touch when it happened. Perhaps teams were more able to provide in this way when tournaments were both larger and less frequent, so it didn't take as large or important a chunk out of the intake.
Maggie Walker still offers a breakfast like this at GSAC. Instead of getting the school to pay for it or using team funds, we just ask each team member's parents to volunteer to bring something. We usually end up with a lot of food that people are happy to eat.
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20

User avatar
jonpin
Forums Staff: Moderator
Posts: 2031
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:45 pm
Location: BCA NJ / WUSTL MO / Hackensack NJ

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by jonpin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:56 pm

quizbowllee wrote:Also:

List bonuses.

Also, I miss this bonus lead-in:

"For 5 points for one, 10 for two, 20 for three, or 30 for all four..."
Ah yes, the 5-10-20-30, so often combined with the A/B/both/neither format. My greatest (basically, only) moment of glory in terms of playing quiz bowl was on a CBI bonus that was for some bizarre reason a list bonus with "5 for one, 15 for two, or 30 for all three" scoring.

On the other hand, CBI things I don't miss, even ironically: variable value bonuses. Those of you who have entered the quiz bowl world in the last half-dozen years don't know what it was like to get a tossup and be told "you get a 20-point bonus because... suck it."
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov

User avatar
MLafer
Tidus
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:00 pm

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by MLafer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:59 pm

I miss elimination playoff formats. While I understand the fairness arguments against them and agree with them, it always disappoints me when the winner of a regular round-robin tournament becomes obvious halfway through the day because their record can't be caught and thus a lot of late-day games become pointless exercises. HSNCT seems to be the most exciting tournament of the year because of their double-elim format.
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005

User avatar
Cheynem
Sin
Posts: 6592
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Cheynem » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:30 pm

There was this random tournament in HS with a three period format, with the second period being delightfully unique.

In this format, there were four "lightning rounds" (10 short parts) in the second period, each with different categories (like Art, Baseball, Presidents, etc.). The captain would assign himself and his teammates to the lightning round that best matched their talents, and then each round was played one on one. This led to both interesting strategy, angry scapegoating when a teammate claimed he really knew opera and went 0 for 10, and some suspense when you had to figure out who would take the Science category on an all humanities team (I did once). You could also cackle in glee when a pet topic round gave you instant points. There were some fun aspects to it, like a teammate stuck with the "Business" round just because we couldn't figure out what else to give him, and he fighting it to a solid performance.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

User avatar
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
Posts: 4047
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:43 pm

You know what kind of breakfast I miss? The Bruce Arthur potluck:
Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:One possible solution might be to have a potluck breakfast before each tournament. Every team can bring some kind of food item, such as a roast, or a bowl of mac and cheese, or some sandwiches, and then they can get together in a room and share the food with each other, and presumably socialize while they're at it.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

Eddie
Rikku
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Eddie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Cheynem wrote:There was this random tournament in HS with a three period format, with the second period being delightfully unique.

In this format, there were four "lightning rounds" (10 short parts) in the second period, each with different categories (like Art, Baseball, Presidents, etc.). The captain would assign himself and his teammates to the lightning round that best matched their talents, and then each round was played one on one. This led to both interesting strategy, angry scapegoating when a teammate claimed he really knew opera and went 0 for 10, and some suspense when you had to figure out who would take the Science category on an all humanities team (I did once). You could also cackle in glee when a pet topic round gave you instant points. There were some fun aspects to it, like a teammate stuck with the "Business" round just because we couldn't figure out what else to give him, and he fighting it to a solid performance.
I still really like the lightning rounds in History Bowl and kinda wish quizbowl had them too.
Eddie Kim
he/him/his
local lad, no major affiliations

User avatar
quizbowllee
Auron
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:12 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by quizbowllee » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Here in Alabama, we still have worksheets. I'm hoping they become a ghost some day soon. As for lightning rounds, we got rid of those sometime in the mid 1990s. I remember, because I was still in high school at the time. We replaced them with worksheets, which are terrible. But, they are better than lightning rounds.

On another note, I could never have imagined that this conversation would be so food-centric.
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL

David Riley
Auron
Posts: 1428
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:27 am
Location: Morton Grove, IL

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by David Riley » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:40 pm

I also liked the old NSC format.

And Lee, the caterer probably put dark meat in the chicken salad [this is a joke only Southerners will understand].


I think what happened with a lot of changes is that a number of people decided that quiz bowl should become more streamlined, but not everything went the way of all flesh. We still have state formats (though fewer, I suppose), and NAQT's 24-question rounds.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"

bg0296
Lulu
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:41 pm
Location: Madisonville, TN

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by bg0296 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:48 pm

quizbowllee wrote:Also:

List bonuses.

Also, I miss this bonus lead-in:

"For 5 points for one, 10 for two, 20 for three, or 30 for all four..."
I didn't know these questions were becoming less common, but maybe that's because tournaments in my area usually stick to a modified CBI format. As a player, I loved list bonuses because you could score on them often and rack up points if you knew three or four!
Brad Gandy
Tellico Plains High School (Tellico Plains, TN), Class of 2014
Hiwassee College (Madisonville, TN), Class of 2016

User avatar
tktennis
Lulu
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:33 pm
Location: Daphne, Alabama

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by tktennis » Thu May 28, 2015 7:59 pm

Corry wrote:In SoCal, every tournament still has food in the morning. Sweet, sweet Costco blueberry muffins...

Somebody needs to make this a national thing again, ASAP.
In South Alabama, there's a LUXURIOUS tournament where they go all out, with a selection of meats and preservatives within biscuits, cinnamon rolls, coffee, donuts, cookies... It was a dream. My local league also still has donuts and juices every time you come - it encourages new players to come out and works as a recruiting tool when "you miss school" isn't enough.
Trent Kannegieter
Captain, A Team
Bayside Academy '17
Daphne, Alabama
trentkannegieter@gmail.com

scquizbowl
Wakka
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by scquizbowl » Sun May 31, 2015 2:13 pm

Worksheets. Those were huge when I was playing 6-7 years ago. Almost every tournament had those.

Also the different styles of buzzers depending on who brought them. Also so many different types of tournaments.

NAQT was the dominant style in '07-'08-'09, but we had HSAPQ questions (more dedicated to science and other subjects), then our county tournament still used outdated Patrick's Press one-liners that repeated every year. USC was different also with no pop culture being asked.
Joe
James Island '10

User avatar
Holla!
Lulu
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:03 pm
Location: Algonquin for "the Good Land"

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Holla! » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:03 pm

I miss the days of Minnesota HSQB where the first round of the four-quarter format (the rest was on Patrick's Press, which...) began with ~10-12 "Current Events" tossups that were basically cribbed from that day's Star Tribune. My coach would throw (as turned into "tradition") the paper at me when we got in the van and I would read it on the 30-minute drive to Burnsville.

One iteration involved 8th- or 9th-grade me getting something like 9 of the first 10 questions (Including one which began "Heart health...*buzz*" "Answer: _olive oil_") over Blake A, who at that time was still a force to be reckoned with in MNHSQB. By the end of the match we lost by something like 250, but being up by about 100 points on one of the better teams in the Metro thanks to "CE" was pretty sweet.
Cory Haala | Simley HS: 2003-2009
Northwestern University: 2009-2012 | Marquette University: 2013-2015
Writer/Moderator, NAQT: 2012-present

NLiu
Lulu
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:38 am

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by NLiu » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:53 am

Unfortunately, most of these so-called "ghosts" are still alive and well if you go to (Southern) Indiana
N. L.
St. Joseph High School
Tenure 2011-2012

User avatar
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:43 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:23 pm

The old NSC format did have its charm, but by all accounts it was a nightmare to edit, with 3 different types of bonuses.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
PACE

acrosby1861
Lulu
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:09 pm

Re: Ghosts of Quiz Bowl's Past that You (sorta) Miss....

Post by acrosby1861 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:13 am

When I was starting out in quiz bowl, my team used old packets from maybe ten years ago (or even older, I'm not sure), and we came across list bonuses, "a, b, both or neither" bonuses, the "5 points for 1, 10 for 2, ...", etc. all the time during practice. And when we got to a tournament that didn't have any of the above bonuses, it came as a bit of a shock.
Spheal With It wrote:
Cheynem wrote:There was this random tournament in HS with a three period format, with the second period being delightfully unique.

In this format, there were four "lightning rounds" (10 short parts) in the second period, each with different categories (like Art, Baseball, Presidents, etc.). The captain would assign himself and his teammates to the lightning round that best matched their talents, and then each round was played one on one. This led to both interesting strategy, angry scapegoating when a teammate claimed he really knew opera and went 0 for 10, and some suspense when you had to figure out who would take the Science category on an all humanities team (I did once). You could also cackle in glee when a pet topic round gave you instant points. There were some fun aspects to it, like a teammate stuck with the "Business" round just because we couldn't figure out what else to give him, and he fighting it to a solid performance.
I still really like the lightning rounds in History Bowl and kinda wish quizbowl had them too.
Personally, I hate lightning rounds in History Bowl, but I want quizbowl to have lightning rounds too because a) if you're getting creamed really bad, it gives you a shot to get points--like in history bowl--and b) if you started out in History Bowl and transitioned over to quizbowl, there's something that you're used to.

Edit: I realized I made a few typos after I submitted this post.
Arianne Crosby
Los Alamitos High School | 2013 — 2017
UC San Diego | 2017 — 2021

Post Reply