Keeping Motivation

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
iarehavethestupid
Lulu

Keeping Motivation

Post by iarehavethestupid »

So, as you can probably tell by the title, I have a problem. I currently have nearly no motivation to study or improve.

Our team is pretty well established, with no major holes in knowledge coverage. Due to schedule conflicts, I won't be able to play any tourneys until November, while by then, my other teammates will have played two. As our non-American History(Is there a collective term for this?) and Music player, I have been reading some books and carding every so often, but at the MS level, it isn't very hard to power most music questions, and I have a solid base on history.

I have asked the local HS about going with them to a tourney, but I haven't received word back, nor do I know if this is allowed in ASCA. I've been working on HS level music, but I have little motivation to do that either.

So what should I do?
Last edited by iarehavethestupid on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Xu
Liberty Middle School 2017-2019
James Clemens High School 2020-2023
2019 ASCA MS State Champion
db0wman
Wakka

Re: Keeping Motivation

Post by db0wman »

World history and music isn't much of the distribution. Try looking around into spots not filled by your team and you may find subjects worth studying.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
iarehavethestupid
Lulu

I updated my OP to make it a bit clearer
Ethan Xu
The Blind Prophet
Lulu

Post by The Blind Prophet »

Do you have a studying routine? I always force myself to go through my quizlet cards as a routine, even when I have no motivation. Then, when I get sudden bursts of motivation, I do a bunch of extra studying, too.
Jonathan Shauf
TJ Classical 2020
UNC Chapel Hill 2024

iarehavethestupid
Lulu

jonathanshauf wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:40 pm Do you have a studying routine? I always force myself to go through my quizlet cards as a routine, even when I have no motivation. Then, when I get sudden bursts of motivation, I do a bunch of extra studying, too.
I force myself to quizlet music everyday, and I'm reading The History of Western Society right now. I feel like I would absorb information better if I was motivated though.
Ethan Xu
Couch's Kingbird
Rikku

Post by Couch's Kingbird »

iarehavethestupid wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:44 am but at the MS level, it isn't very hard to power most music questions, and I have a solid base on history.
If you haven't already, I'd encourage you to start reading harder questions (high school novice or regular at least). You'll encounter new stuff you don't know, and it should be more stimulating and challenging for you.
Julia Tong
Darien 2014-2018; Co-Captain 2015-2018
Barnard 2018-2022 (VP Columbia Quiz Bowl)
Member of the Connecticut Quiz Bowl Alliance: ctquizbowl.org