How do I learn visual fine arts rapidly?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
JoelIn1
Kimahri

How do I learn visual fine arts rapidly?

Post by JoelIn1 »

I feel like this is a category that comes up often. However, I don’t really know what resources to use to learn these. That’s all I have to say. If anyone knows good resources besides QuizDB and Protobowl, I would love to know.
Last edited by JoelIn1 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niththilan Ramanitharan
BHS 22
db0wman
Wakka

Re: How do I learn visual fine arts rapidly?

Post by db0wman »

Khan Academy's AP Art History video series is a good resource.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
whatamidoinghere
Wakka

Post by whatamidoinghere »

Aside from those resources, this list (thanks Jacob Reed!) has a couple art history textbooks. The most noteworthy one is Gardner's Art Through the Ages (which is available on libgen). I've used it, a lot of my friends have, and all of them have stated that it is very goood; it covers all the main time periods extremely in depth.
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

db0wman wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:32 pm Khan Academy's AP Art History video series is a good resource.
Second this; this is a great and fairly engaging way to learn about individual works and artists.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
bucket
Kimahri

Post by bucket »

I have a few resources you might want:
  • The Art Assignment Youtube Channel is an amazing channel for learning major artists and movements with a depth other sources don't have, and also just a good channel in general for getting basics with a dash of weirder, more obscure artists thrown in. I highly recommend the Art Cooking series.
  • Smarthistory.org is a site that has information on pretty much any art movement and many, many pieces with a lot of variety to it. Most of it is in the form of videos from Khan Academy (which I also recommend, especially for AP Art History) or written articles. They also have a free, downloadable set of five books that cover the 250 works studied in AP Art History. My personal favorite video of theirs is this one about the contrasts between a Millais painting and a color field painting by Barnett Newman.
  • The Annotated Mona Lisa by Carol Strickland, Ph.D is probably what really got me jumpstarted on visual art. It's about 200 pages, but it covers a lot of material in a very easily understood and fun way - I highly recommend it for getting a good chunk of the HS canon learned decently enough to convert consistently.
  • I highly recommend Art: The Definitive Visual Guide by Andrew Graham-Dixon and Ross King for whenever you've read a smaller book or used other resources mentioned above. This book is the literal holy grail of visual art textbooks. I can't overexaggerate how great this book is; it has over 2,000 images and covers pretty much every artist known to man, and has consistently helped me convert pretty much any artist or artwork on any difficulty level. Basically, if a quizbowl-relevant artist exists, they're in this book.
Gabe Forrest
CHC, Joplin MO