SCOP Question Conversion For All

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TheDoctor
Rikku

SCOP Question Conversion For All

Post by TheDoctor »

As anyone who has run a tournament on a SCOP set knows, I've been collecting conversion statistics from tournaments using the SCOP sets since I began writing them. The resulting data have been extremely useful to calibrating difficulty in SCOP sets, and I've been trying to find a good way to share them with the community. The result is this spreadsheet.

The conversion statistics in this spreadsheet represent only tossups from SCOP Novice 3 through SCOP Novice 7, and only tossups that were played in at least 20 rooms. Bonuses are excluded because it is often difficult to determine in which order a tournament used bonuses, and I'd rather not hand out potentially flawed data. The spreadsheet will be updated annually (with a gap for the SCOP A/B year, for which I don't have enough data), keeping three sets behind the current Novice set.

I strongly encourage anyone using this information to cross-reference it with the SCOP questions catalogued on QuizDB and quizbowlpackets.com, since the way a question is structured can make an enormous difference to how it plays to novices. I also recommend paying attention to the rounds these questions appeared in, since questions played in later rounds are usually played by, on average, stronger teams. As an example, a tossup on the Philippines in round 2 of SCOP6 was converted in 78% of rooms, but the same topic drew 95% conversion in round 10 of SCOP7; this could be because the SCOP7 tossup was more accessible or because rounds 10 and 11 are more often used as semifinals or finals packets.

I hope this will be as helpful to others as it has been to me.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder