IESA State Series 2011

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

IESA State Series 2011

Post by the return of AHAN »

Here it is, the annual thread where I converse with myself (and, occasionally, Nathan Hollinsaid).
Regional assignments have been posted. I've already secured two moderators (Egan & Laudermith). These two have forgotten more about scholastic bowl than most IESA State Series moderators know, so, we're in good hands!

Amazingly, the seeds in sectional A for class AA are grouped as (1,8), (2, 7), (3, 6) and (4,5). What a NOVEL idea!

Edit: URL formatting
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Re: IESA State Series 2011

Post by Stephen Colbert »

Unless the other teams in Normal Metcalf's sectional are especially strong (and, historically-speaking, a few are certainly capable), Metcalf seems way underrated. I still think Metcalf is a heavy favorite to repeat as Class A state champs.

It's unfortunate Palatine Quest and Lindenhurst Millburn West are in the same regional. If not for the "geography factor", I could see both teams advancing to and maybe even placing at the state tournament.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
the return of AHAN
Auron

I'm particularly amused that, in class AA sectional A, Antioch was voted as the 5 seed, while undefeated Hawthorn North (a 304-34 victor over Antioch in an early season match) was voted #7. But, I guess that shows sheer number of victories carries a lot of weight with the coaches.

On another note, my computer survived being thrown against the wall when I received the following response from the IESA in regards to their survey results*:
Jeff, I understand you called yesterday about the survey results for
scholastic bowl. I can tell you we had more interested in the single
elimination than I expected, but that the other two questions were almost a
tie. The committee will make a recommendation to the Board of Directors in
their June meeting. The advisory committee doesn't meet until June 2 so I
won't know what they will decide until then.
As part of the seeding process this year, coaches were polled on whether they'd be in support of the following measures, designed to cut down on the length of the evening of regionals:
* Single-elimination playoffs
* Shortening the sets to 20/20.
* Stay the same

EDIT: Added 3rd option, which tied with 20/20 in terms of support.
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

Moving Day wrote:On another note, my computer survived being thrown against the wall when I received the following response from the IESA in regards to their survey results*:
Jeff, I understand you called yesterday about the survey results for
scholastic bowl. I can tell you we had more interested in the single
elimination than I expected, but that the other two questions were almost a
tie. The committee will make a recommendation to the Board of Directors in
their June meeting. The advisory committee doesn't meet until June 2 so I
won't know what they will decide until then.
Bobby Knight would be proud. Though, I'm not sure you whipped your computer against the wall with quite enough force if it survived the impact.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
African threadfish
Lulu

Post by African threadfish »

Moving Day wrote: As part of the seeding process this year, coaches were polled on whether they'd be in support of the following measures, designed to cut down on the length of the evening of regionals:
* Single-elimination playoffs
* Shortening the sets to 20/20.
* Stay the same

EDIT: Added 3rd option, which tied with 20/20 in terms of support.
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for checking in with the IESA regarding this issue. My teams and I greatly prefer 20/20 to the 30/20 which is one of the main reasons why we have enjoyed the two NAQT tournaments we went to this year. The shorter length is MUCH more conducive to middle school students, more matches can be played, and the kids and parent fan-base like the faster pace.

Our regional starts at 4:00 and our final match is at 6:45. With the matches taking well over an hour in the 30/20 format, it will be a long Wednesday night for my teams as we have a 1 hour and 40 minute drive back to school after the final match. There are no IESA "A" teams in Rockford unfortunately.

That being said, I am not in favor of the single elimination for Regionals. The 20/20 and round robin format would be the ideal for those of us that travel long distances. We are in Class "A" Sectional B Regional 8 http://www.iesa.org/activities/scb/assi ... 11&Class=A.

Hopefully the IESA will decide to "re-poll" everyone at the conclusion of the season to break the tie between "stay the same" and "20/20".

Thank you for posting the news and adding this topic to the forum.

All the best in your Regional Tournament!
Kristin Burns -Middle School Scholastic Bowl Coach
Keith Country Day School - Rockford, Illinois
the return of AHAN
Auron

The field for the State Finals is almost set... Seeds from respective sectionals are shown in brackets.
Class A
(pool A)
Palatine Quest [2]
Peoria Academy [1]
Bloomington Cornerstone [3]
Effingham St. Anthony [3]
(pool B)
Sparland Midland [7]
Champaign St. Matthew [2]
Aviston [1]
Bushnell Prairie City [1]

Class AA
(pool A)
Barrington Station [1] (snaps Daniel Wright's streak of 7 straight years of 3rd place or better State finishes)
Dunlap MS [1]
Charleston [3]
Minooka [2]
(pool B)
Edwardsville Liberty [1]
Springfield Franklin [1]
Lemont Old Quarry [5]
Bloomington JHS [2]
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Wed May 04, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price
African threadfish
Lulu

Post by African threadfish »

Moving Day wrote: Class AA
(pool A)
Barrington Station [1] (snaps Daniel Wright's streak of 7 straight years of 3rd place or better State finishes)
[2]

Congrats Coach Price! Good luck at State!
Kristin Burns -Middle School Scholastic Bowl Coach
Keith Country Day School - Rockford, Illinois
the return of AHAN
Auron

I hope this isn't going to come off as sour grapes, but good lord, the IESA State Finals was the worst run tournament we've attended all year. One parent even said, "After going to places like Northwestern, you come to a state championship, you would think things will be run well..." What were the issues? Let me count the ways:
1.) The scorekeeper in the first round room required 30-60 seconds at the conclusion on each TU/Bonus cycle to be ready for the next TU. I'm not joking. :oops:
2.) At least three times, my team would try to buzz and they'd have to yell "Buzz!" because the high school kid running the system, his ONLY JOB IN THE ROOM, couldn't remember to clear the Zeecraft system after the lockout timer expired on the previous bonus. Replacement questions? You weren't written in vain.
3.) TWO different moderators negged one of my top players for a correct answer.... "Sherman." Incorrect. (Charleston buzz) "William Tecumseh Sherman" Correct. Me: WHOA! Wait a minute, sir! He said 'Sherman!' Moderator, "I thought he said "Truman." My head nearly exploded. The scorer and timer agreed that my player said "Sherman." So, IESA resolution? Throw the TU out. >_< Replacement TU about a certain British Prime Minister in office until 1990. BUZZ by same player... "THATCH - ER!" in a very exaggerated manner. The whole room LOL'd. " Then there was his "The House of the Scorpion" answer negged since the mod thought he said "The House of the Scorpio." :mad:
4.) Imprisonment in the rooms until an all-clear was given that every room was done. I get question security but the IESA takes this too far. We're ready to go to dinner, the tournament is running behind.... and that's another thing;
5.) Each round started on intervals of about 70 minutes. Can the IESA really not find moderators who can get through 20 bonuses any faster? And there's another thing.
6.) The moderators were middling to below average, with strict interpretations of the rules where none really exist. Really. My team (bench is cleared here), "Part 3 is Smith" CORRECT. "Part 3 is Jones." INCORRECT, and "Part 5 is "Adams" CORRECT. Moderator, "Part FOUR was Jones." Better practice more on their dictation, I guess.
7.) The expression "clear knowledge equivalents" better make it into the IESA rule book soon or I won't be responsible for my actions the next time someone negs one of my players for "Fractals" when the answer line is "Fractal"
8.) And can they find a better dinner solution than for everyone to just scatter on the floor in different parts of the building with their food? Can't they come up with something like, I don't know, TABLES?

As for the questions, what can I say? We've been over this before. Dunlap MS was a very good team, but I wish we could play them on questions that were more than buzzer races. But, we made mistakes in that match and they didn't. So they certainly deserved the win.
Jeff Price
No Electricity Required
Wakka

Post by No Electricity Required »

Moving Day wrote: 3.) TWO different moderators negged one of my top players for a correct answer.... "Sherman." Incorrect. (Charleston buzz) "William Tecumseh Sherman" Correct. Me: WHOA! Wait a minute, sir! He said 'Sherman!' Moderator, "I thought he said "Truman." My head nearly exploded. The scorer and timer agreed that my player said "Sherman." So, IESA resolution? Throw the TU out. >_< Replacement TU about a certain British Prime Minister in office until 1990. BUZZ by same player... "THATCH - ER!" in a very exaggerated manner. The whole room LOL'd. " Then there was his "The House of the Scorpion" answer negged since the mod thought he said "The House of the Scorpio." :mad:

7.) The expression "clear knowledge equivalents" better make it into the IESA rule book soon or I won't be responsible for my actions the next time someone negs one of my players for "Fractals" when the answer line is "Fractal"
The biggest complaints I had from the IESA state tournament when I was in junior high (other than question quality once I had figured out why QG is terrible) were pretty much these things. In 2008 I remember being negged for "united kingdom" on a question about the country that formerly controlled Belize; of course the printed answer was "great britain." To make matters worse, after the other team had answered with "great britain" the moderator felt the need to make a comment about how the united kingdom is different.

Congrats on the third place and on prevailing in your sectional, Coach Price, and I wish your teams luck at MSNCT this weekend.
tristan willey
formerly: macomb, uiuc
writer: naqt
he/him or they/them