Jr. Wildcat IV at Northwestern (3/2/2013)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Jr. Wildcat IV at Northwestern (3/2/2013)

Post by Dan-Don »

Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois will host Jr. Wildcat IV, our annual middle school tournament, on March 2, 2013. I will be the Tournament Director.

Question set
We will be using a to-be-announced set from Olympia Academic Questions. We acknowledge that we received negative feedback about our use of Olympia last year, but using an NAQT MS set would have resulted in the exclusion of teams in the Leyden-Norwood League.

Tournament rules
To make the tournament run more smoothly, and to bring Jr. Wildcat more in line with the format of the Middle School National Championship Tournament, we will be following all collegiate rules of the Academic Competition Federation with no exceptions. This is the same as last year. I've attached a handy table that outlines the key differences between ACF and IESA rules, but I strongly encourage you to read the ACF rules for yourself. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to email me ([email protected]).

Tournament format
The field is currently capped at 24 teams. All 24 teams will play 10 matches. By registering for Jr. Wildcat, you are agreeing to stay and play all 10 matches. If you do not intend to play all 10 matches, then do not register for Jr. Wildcat.

Registration
To register, you must fill out this form.

Registered field (24 of 24 spots filled)
Barrington Prairie x2, Barrington Station x2, Blackhawk x2, Holy Cross x2, Keith Country Day School, Lincoln, Manteno x2, Marshall x2, Metcalf x2, St. Benedict, St. Raymond x2, Sunset Ridge, Quest Academy x2, Union Ridge x2,

Wait list
Cary, Daniel Wright x2, Wayside, St. Athanasius

If you have any questions or would like to volunteer to staff, please post here or email me ([email protected]). I can provide staffers with a free lunch.
Attachments
rules table - 2013 Jr. Wildcat.pdf
(51.67 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Last edited by Dan-Don on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Jr. Wildcat IV at Northwestern (3/2/2013)

Post by the return of AHAN »

Barrington Station will field a pair of teams for this. However, I'm disappointed that one league, not an open tournament, uses the sum of NAQT's MS questions for the year and it effectively shuts out the rest of the suburbs from hearing a single NAQT set without crossing state lines or signing up for MSNCT.

And another thing, I'd love to see the set-up of this league that uses >20 rounds of questions. I mean, what did they do last year when NAQT only offered MS-02 & MS-03?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

the return of AHAN wrote:Barrington Station will field a pair of teams for this. However, I'm disappointed that one league, not an open tournament, uses the sum of NAQT's MS questions for the year and it effectively shuts out the rest of the suburbs from hearing a single NAQT set without crossing state lines or signing up for MSNCT.
If there are schools that want to hear these sets, we would encourage someone to host another tournament in the area. (For the record, we offered Northwestern the option of using one of our sets and un-inviting the Leyden-Norwood teams. If an additional host wants to take that deal, that would probably benefit everyone.)
the return of AHAN wrote:what did they do last year when NAQT only offered MS-02 & MS-03?
I believe they used both NAQT and non-NAQT questions for their league last year.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
the return of AHAN
Auron

I'm certain teams would show up to Rockford if Keith put on a tournament on MS-05... Lord knows they have a veteran TD on staff at their high school this year.... :grin:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
MichaelFalk
Lulu

Post by MichaelFalk »

We'd come to Junior Wildcat.

We'd also come to Keith or someplace else to play MS-05.
--
Michael Falk
Played for Iowa State University, 2001-2004
Coaching for St. Mary's Visitation (Elm Grove, WI), grades 6-8, 2010-present
African threadfish
Lulu

Post by African threadfish »

MichaelFalk wrote:We'd come to Junior Wildcat.

We'd also come to Keith or someplace else to play MS-05.
Brad Fischer and I are talking about potentially hosting MS-05 at Keith. Stay tuned :grin:
Kristin Burns -Middle School and High School Scholastic Bowl Coach
Keith Country Day School - Rockford, Illinois
African threadfish
Lulu

Just sent in our form for Jr. Wildcat. The kids loved it last year!

Thanks and hope that we were able to snag a place!

-Kristin Burns
the return of AHAN
Auron

Update? Or is this still a 5-team tournament?
Jeff Price
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

I've brought the announcement post up-to-date. I'm waiting until Monday to send out email invitations because I want to make sure everyone's back from winter break.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

I can only guarantee four more spots in the tournament, so register soon!

Edit: the field is now full so I will start a wait list.
the return of AHAN
Auron

I see your waitlist has 5 teams. Any chance that you expand this tournament to 30 teams? Or is there just not enough capacity?
Jeff Price
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

We should have the capacity, but we'd need more staff that we can't pay.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Sorry I forgot to post this until now, but I'm updating the stats round-by-round.
African threadfish
Lulu

On behalf of the Keith team, Thank you Dan and to all of the wonderful staffers for hosting a fantastic tournament on Saturday! The kids had a blast and we really appreciated the invitation and opportunity to play.

A job well done, thank you so much!

-Kristin Burns
Keith Country Day School Coach