JNAC Question Distribution

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Couch's Kingbird
Wakka

JNAC Question Distribution

Post by Couch's Kingbird »

I am wondering where I can find a question distribution for the JNAC (or Questions Unlimited/NAC in general) to study for the JNAC tournament with. I have tried looking on the QUnlimited website but have not found anything of use yet. I appreciate any advice anyone can give me.
Julia Tong
Darien 2014-2018; Co-Captain 2015-2018
Barnard 2018-2022 (VP Columbia Quiz Bowl)
Member of the Connecticut Quiz Bowl Alliance: ctquizbowl.org

Oh No You Didn't
Yuna

Re: JNAC Question Distribution

Post by Oh No You Didn't »

The advice I would give you is to play actual quizbowl instead
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016

ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Questions Unlimited does not publish a distribution, which is one of the many reasons (along with misleading questions, tons of buzzer races, lack of academic content, and ethical issues) they are a terrible question provider. Better sets include the Collaborative Middle School Tournament, past iterations of which are available at the posted link, and NAQT's middle school sets.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16 | Ardsley '12
PACE | ACF

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Based on the last NAC I attended as a spectator, in which I charted the subjects that came up in each round, I find it very unlikely that any QU tournament uses a "distribution" as we understand it. Every question and every group of questions is simply on whatever Chip Beall feels like asking, with no regard for subject balance, the academic nature or answerability of the answer, or the ability of the answer to lend itself to a good question. My suggestion is in line with the above posters--don't bother playing this tournament.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org