Introducing YellowFruit.

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
Ndg
Rikku

Introducing YellowFruit.

Post by Ndg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:48 am

I suppose I may as well make a proper thread for this now that various versions have been floating around for close to a year.

What is it?
A standalone Windows application for (manual) stat entry. Think of it as SQBS but with
- Less crummy UI
- Support for phases/stages (don't need multiple files for one tournament)
- Better looking, easier-to-navigate, customizable html reports. Here is a sample stat report.

Download the latest version here.
Windows
MacOS
(v2.4.2, 9 Nov 2019)

I won't clutter this post with screenshots but you can see some (slightly out of date) ones here

What isn't it?
"Live" stats entry. There are other tools you can use for that if that's what you want.

Does it run on Linux?
No, but it could! Contact me privately if you're interested in helping package a Linux version.

Is constructive criticism welcome?
Yes.
Last edited by Ndg on Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15

the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Introducing YellowFruit.

Post by the return of AHAN » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:08 am

I'm interested in a Mac version since all of our devices in my school are Apple products.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atlashill
Lulu

Post by Atlashill » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:41 pm

I'm in the process of giving it a run-through with scoresheets I've retained from a 36-team tournament. So far I'm enjoying the option to name pools and phases all at once, as well as the sidebar where standings are updating as I enter games. However, it's a bit of a hassle to click "add game", then "new game" over and over. It would be nice if there was a third button where once you added a game, it automatically begins creation of another entry. This would help streamline data entry when having to deal with multiple scoresheets on short time.

I'm making additional notes on some of the benefits and drawbacks compared to SQBS, I am curious as to what tweaks or features you're thinking of including in the near future.
Kyle Hill—Liberty (Mo.) '03—Truman State '07
Moderator for hire based in Sedalia, Mo.

Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:59 pm

Atlashill wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:41 pm
it's a bit of a hassle to click "add game", then "new game" over and over. It would be nice if there was a third button where once you added a game, it automatically begins creation of another entry.

Good idea. It shouldn't be difficult for me to add an "accept and new" button. In the meantime (I don't know whether you mean "click" literally) you can mitigate this by using the keyboard shortcuts, alt-A and ctrl-G.
Atlashill wrote:
I am curious as to what tweaks or features you're thinking of including in the near future.
I have nothing major in mind. What exists now is more or less my vision for what it ought to be. The next version will have auto-save ability and probably improvements to the division editing UI, which right now can be problematic if you need to go back and change things after you've started adding games.
Andrew Nadig

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:16 pm

Looks like in the SQBS converter, for forfeits you output a blank line for tossups heard. SQBS would output a 0.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

Atlashill
Lulu

Post by Atlashill » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:51 pm

Adding UG & D2 was an excellent idea. Is it possible to add an option, for high school tournaments, where UG and D2 become Small School (SS) and JV? We have a handful of tournaments that offer either if not both awards, and this would be an easy way to keep track. (For the tournament I'm slowly rebuilding as a test-run for YF, I had 11 small schools out of 36 teams, which I've indicated as D2.)

Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Atlashill wrote:
It would be nice if there was a third button where once you added a game, it automatically begins creation of another entry. This would help streamline data entry when having to deal with multiple scoresheets on short time.
jonah wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:16 pm
Looks like in the SQBS converter, for forfeits you output a blank line for tossups heard. SQBS would output a 0.
Atlashill wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:51 pm
Adding UG & D2 was an excellent idea. Is it possible to add an option, for high school tournaments, where UG and D2 become Small School (SS) and JV? We have a handful of tournaments that offer either if not both awards, and this would be an easy way to keep track. (For the tournament I'm slowly rebuilding as a test-run for YF, I had 11 small schools out of 36 teams, which I've indicated as D2.)
I've addressed these in the newest version (linked above).
Andrew Nadig

Atlashill
Lulu

Post by Atlashill » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:42 pm

There's a bug with the new version (2.3.2): when I attempt to save phases, the screen goes blank, and it's not possible to save the file from that point.

Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:52 pm

Atlashill wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:42 pm
There's a bug with the new version (2.3.2): when I attempt to save phases, the screen goes blank, and it's not possible to save the file from that point.
Fixed
Andrew Nadig

Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:04 pm

the return of AHAN wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:08 am
I'm interested in a Mac version since all of our devices in my school are Apple products.
I've linked a MacOS version in the original post.
Andrew Nadig

Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:00 pm

I think this has been done in some form before, but if anyone needs an easy way to move stat reports from Neg5 to the hsquizbowl database, I've added an "Import QBJ" option.

There are a few caveats with this:
- This is only for the specific schema version 2.1 file that Neg5 exports
- Neg5 doesn't seem to export phases or divisions/pools, so you would have to reconstruct those manually
- The newest version supports tiebreakers, but Neg5 doesn't, so any time a team plays multiple games in one round, those games are assumed to be tiebreakers
- Files with data that you wouldn't be allowed to enter manually in YF will be rejected (for example, Neg5 fails to verify that total TU heard for a team is not greater than the game's TU read times the max players per team)
Andrew Nadig