ProtoBowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Re: ProtoBowl

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

kevink wrote:
Crazyflight wrote:There's a new ProtoBowl app. Yay.
It doesn't work for iOS6. >.> Nay.
I don't want to update my iPhone to iOS7, but...
I didn't make the iOS or Android apps, but the creator says that there is currently a bug which causes it to crash on iOS6, but that it's designed to support both iOS 6 and 7 and that an update which should fix the compatibility issues should be deployed over the next few days pending Apple's approval.
Yeah, it works now. I'm loving PB mobile. I use it for trash questions before tournaments.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
kevink
Lulu

Post by kevink »

I'm working on a new version of Protobowl which uses Github as a central question repository. This means that anyone can add their own packets with their own questions or fix broken questions.

Get started here: http://github.com/neotenic/packets

All the main questions are in /qb/ Folders are organized by year and tournament.
Kevin Kwok
Annandale High School 2013
MIT 2017
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

kevink wrote:I'm working on a new version of Protobowl which uses Github as a central question repository. This means that anyone can add their own packets with their own questions or fix broken questions.

All the main questions are in /qb/ Folders are organized by year and tournament.
It might make sense to have someone approve all submissions as to stop troll questions from being submitted.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
kevink
Lulu

Post by kevink »

Weighted Companion Cube wrote:
kevink wrote:I'm working on a new version of Protobowl which uses Github as a central question repository. This means that anyone can add their own packets with their own questions or fix broken questions.

It might make sense to have someone approve all submissions as to stop troll questions from being submitted.
It's done via github so it's trivial to revert any set of changes and to see the entire version history. At the moment I have to approve all changes (I'll probably appoint users who contribute significantly to review pull requests and have direct access to the repository contents).

If you look at https://github.com/neotenic/packets/tree/master/qb you can see that we only have questions up to 2011, so there's quite a bit of work to be done.
Kevin Kwok
MIT 2017
Hobbie Klivian
Lulu

Post by Hobbie Klivian »

So this happened:
Error.jpg
(100.19 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Any ideas? Further proof that ban system should be created.
Paul Lee

Dunlap '15
Penn '19
Chef Curry
Lulu

Post by Chef Curry »

Hi,

Whenever I enter the room, and get points, the next time I'm back my score isn't saved. Do you know how to get it to save on the leader board?
Ahan Patel
Manheim Township High School '17
Villanova '21
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Wow, my favorite feature is totally the thing where if you miss too many questions Protobowl sends you an automated message that says (and I am not making this up)
Protobowl wrote:you suck like seriously you suck. you are a turd.

Jesus H. Christ (the H stands for "high school section"), why on earth would I ever recommend this product to anyone I wanted to ever play quizbowl again?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Wow, my favorite feature is totally the thing where if you miss too many questions Protobowl sends you an automated message that says (and I am not making this up)

Jesus H. Christ (the H stands for "high school section"), why on earth would I ever recommend this product to anyone I wanted to ever play quizbowl again?
My brother (currently a junior in high school) noticed this feature months ago, when he was intentionally playing terribly with one of his friends on the team. He thought it was fricking hilarious.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Corry wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:Wow, my favorite feature is totally the thing where if you miss too many questions Protobowl sends you an automated message that says (and I am not making this up)

My brother (currently a junior in high school) noticed this feature months ago, when he was intentionally playing terribly with one of his friends on the team. He thought it was fricking hilarious.
Maybe some people don't intentionally play terribly and don't necessarily convert questions and wouldn't really appreciate this
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
iLoveAnime

Post by iLoveAnime »

Yeah I thought someone was PMing me and it made me feel bad, because I [am permanently banned for posting under a fake name after being banned the first time --Mgmt.].
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Corry wrote: when he was intentionally playing terribly
So not only is insulting people obviously a bad idea, but having features that encourage people to play badly on purpose is not helping this site's case.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

Ndg wrote:
Corry wrote: when he was intentionally playing terribly
So not only is insulting people obviously a bad idea, but having features that encourage people to play badly on purpose is not helping this site's case.
I'm not going to defend this "feature" of Protobowl because it's obviously indefensible. I'm guessing it was just a leftover piece of pre-release joke code, which the developer forgot about.
...having features that encourage people to play badly on purpose
However, this line of logic is absolutely silly. I don't want to put words in my brother's mouth, but he wasn't playing "badly" because Protobowl had encouraged him to do so. He did it because he was goofing off with friends. We used to do the same thing back in our actual high school quiz bowl team practices, from time to time, before Protobowl even existed. Because, you know, that's a thing that high schoolers do.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Apologies for the strong wording of that post. I not trying to specifically criticize anyone for how they use the site, I'm more just kind of disappointed that this feature is undercutting the site's image as a potential tool for actually learning things for quiz bowl. But I'm not going to argue any further because yes, I recognize that this really isn't a big deal.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
kevink
Lulu

Post by kevink »

It was something that was added a while ago in tandem with a bunch of rate limiting features to mitigate server abuse. It wasn't meant to insult the player's ability so much as chide them for contributing to lag for other users, and it's not an action that I imagine gets triggered often enough that I bothered remove. Anyway, the threshold of 10 consecutive interrupts might have been too low- it certainly wasn't intended to trip up well-intentioned use.

I'm getting the impression that there are some people who are actively searching for reasons to give protobowl flak: actively searching for reasons to frame it as some metastatic cancer of the quizbowl community and me as some kind of willful plotter for the dissolution and decay of the said community. It's not generally a terribly opinionated or ideological site- sure there are a few easter eggs, and there are probably some people who would rather them not exist. And there are probably some technical decisions with unforeseen social ramifications- in part because they're unforeseeable, and in part because of indiscretion or ignorance on my part.

More than anything, it's a reflection on the people who use the site. I haven't ever spent much time on the website, but I would be inclined to attribute the immaturity to the demographic rather than the design of the tool. I'm not a community builder, in part because that tends to entail gate-keeping and I tend to opt for inclusivity over exclusivity. The hsquizbowl community, its stringent real-name policy and enforced etiquette is pretty daunting and ends up excluding a lot of people who like quizbowl. But it's all okay, because the moderators have the idea that the community is better without the ones it excludes, and that's a perfectly respectable opinion.

I don't see protobowl as some entity which requires or even has its own culture. It's not like hsquizbowl- it's not a public forum for discourse or discussion which needs to maximize political correctness. I've always envisioned it as a place where a group of friends can take their existing culture and merely continue it online with quizbowl as a backdrop.
Kevin Kwok
MIT 2017
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

kevink wrote:The hsquizbowl community, its stringent real-name policy and enforced etiquette is pretty daunting and ends up excluding a lot of people who like quizbowl. But it's all okay, because the moderators have the idea that the community is better without the ones it excludes, and that's a perfectly respectable opinion.
I can't BELIEVE we require people to use real names and actually be respectful to each other.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

kevink wrote:I would be inclined to attribute the immaturity to the demographic rather than the design of the tool.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_di ... ion_effect
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

kevink wrote:The hsquizbowl community, its stringent real-name policy and enforced etiquette is pretty daunting and ends up excluding a lot of people who like quizbowl. But it's all okay, because the moderators have the idea that the community is better without the ones it excludes, and that's a perfectly respectable opinion.
No, what's exclusionary is the fact that your website is a safe refuge for racists and garbage internet culture, and your cavalier attitude about this fact.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

This thread has gotten kind of long and out of hand, so I'm locking it. If people wish to continue discussing ProtoBowl, they can create a new thread. This thread will remain in this forum for reading/reference until our regular archiving.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum