SQBS Help Thread

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

SQBS Help Thread

Post by AKKOLADE »

Inspired by seeing a few threads regarding questions about how to use this software, and since there isn't already a thread for it, I thought that a thread dedicated to handling questions about how to use SQBS would be useful. Hopefully, people well versed in the software would be willing to help out and answer questions.

A few starting points:
I'll also try to help where I can.

[stickied - staff]
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: SQBS Help Thread

Post by AKKOLADE »

This post reserved for FAQs/guides/walkthroughs.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT's guide to using SQBS is here.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Fred wrote:SQBS guide by Donald Taylor and Dwight Wynne - written for PACE. While Dwight's "retired," Donald's still active on the board and would likely be willing to answer any questions you might have.
Fred speaks truth. I'll be more than glad to answer questions posed here or sent to me privately.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Post the good ones, though!
Fred Morlan
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Fred wrote:Post the good ones, though!
Of course, keeping names anonymous.
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

I have a question - how does one get the "Round Report" page to show up? I've seen some stat reports with it and some without it. Whenever I do stats ends up showing up so I'm not sure if there's anything special I'm doing.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Important Bird Area

From the "Settings" menu, select "Reports" and check off the "include round reports" box.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

bt_green_warbler wrote:From the "Settings" menu, select "Reports" and check off the "include round reports" box.
I'll add that you will have to do this for every tournament, no matter how many tournaments you've done with the program.
silverscreentest
Lulu

Post by silverscreentest »

Fred wrote:A few starting points:
Site doesn't seem to working. Is it located elsewhere?
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

silverscreentest wrote:
Fred wrote:A few starting points:
Site doesn't seem to working. Is it located elsewhere?
It seems to be working fine for me.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
silverscreentest
Lulu

Post by silverscreentest »

Works for me now. Must not have been working the day I posted. Thank you.
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

This is a question not so much about SQBS but about the HSQB interface itself - is there a way to determine around how many tossups were converted in a given round using the Round Report page of a tournament's stats if the tournament set uses powers? For a set without powers it's easy because I can simply multiply the TUpts/TUH by 20 and subtract from 200, but I'm not sure if there's a way to determine this for a set with powers.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

pk14ster wrote:This is a question not so much about SQBS but about the HSQB interface itself - is there a way to determine around how many tossups were converted in a given round using the Round Report page of a tournament's stats if the tournament set uses powers? For a set without powers it's easy because I can simply multiply the TUpts/TUH by 20 and subtract from 200, but I'm not sure if there's a way to determine this for a set with powers.
Offhand, no. I *think* negs would also impact this.
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

If rounds are being entered, then you can always just go to scoreboard page and do it manually -- unless your tournament is massive it will probably be not too much work.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

I'm talking about situations where you're just looking at a stat report for any given tournament on the tournament database, not when I'm the person entering stats.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Oh I meant if round numbers are entered by the person who enters the stats (which they should have been, if the round report page is making sense), then on the Scoreboard page it's very easy to see what happened in each round, e.g. this -- and then just look at the bonus rows (the bottom of each game summary) to quickly see how many tossups got converted.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

To make your life easier, consider this bookmarklet:

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){x=document.getElementsByTagName('font');o=%22%22;tu=g=0;for(i=0;i%20%3C%20x.length;i++){if(x[i].color==%22red%22){o+=x[i].innerHTML;}if(x[i].size==%22-1%22){g+=1;q0=x[i].innerHTML;q1=q0.split('\n');q2=q1[3];q3=q2.replace('Bonuses:%20','').replace('%3Cbr%3E','');q4=q3.split(',%20');for(j=0;j%20%3C%20q4.length;j++){q5=q4[j].split('%20');q6=q5[q5.length-3];tu+=parseInt(q6);}}if(i==x.length-1%20||%20x[i+1].color==%22red%22){o+=%22%20-%3E%20%22+tu.toString()+%22%20TUs%20in%20%22+g.toString()+%22%20games\n%22;tu=g=0;}}alert(o);})();
Copy this code into a bookmark, and then click it when you're on the scoreboard page of an SQBS report. I have only tested it on two reports on the DB, so no guarantees that it works, but it might make your life easier.

Sample output for http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ats/games/:
Round 1 -> 50 TUs in 3 games
Round 2 -> 45 TUs in 3 games
Round 3 -> 50 TUs in 3 games
Round 4 -> 53 TUs in 3 games
Round 5 -> 54 TUs in 3 games
Round 6 -> 48 TUs in 3 games
Round 7 -> 51 TUs in 3 games
Round 8 -> 50 TUs in 3 games
Round 9 -> 49 TUs in 3 games
Round 10 -> 49 TUs in 3 games
The difficulty of doing this makes clear the need for a better method of representing quizbowl statistics, which is something I have thoughts about and will probably post about eventually.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

I apologize for my lack of computer skills, but how do I bookmark a chunk of Javascript code on Google Chrome?
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Enter the code into the space for the URL (in the popup for making a bookmark), and that should do the trick.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Is there any way to output rosters to a text file (or equivalent)?
Fred Morlan
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:Is there any way to output rosters to a text file (or equivalent)?
I don't know of a "proper" way to do it, but if you open up a copy of the SQBS data file in Notepad (or whatever), I think you'll be able to trim it down to the relevant parts without too much difficulty.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
AlecKamas
Kimahri

Post by AlecKamas »

I'm attempting to use SQBS on a Mac and it won't let generate reports for only certain rounds. The system generates a report that includes different numbers of games for each team. I have selected the option to only include certain rounds, but the program seems to ignore it. Any workarounds?
Alec Kamas
University of Kentucky
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Is there anyway to add divisions to a tournament after it's created?

Edit: I just found out you can fix it easily by making a new tournament, hitting the divisions check box, and then merging with the old tournament.
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Morlan
Important Bird Area

Under Settings --> General, there is a checkbox for "use divisions?"
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

jonah wrote:
Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:Is there any way to output rosters to a text file (or equivalent)?
I don't know of a "proper" way to do it, but if you open up a copy of the SQBS data file in Notepad (or whatever), I think you'll be able to trim it down to the relevant parts without too much difficulty.

If anyone develops this into a function in the software itself, they will become my personal hero.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
zman147
Lulu

Post by zman147 »

Is it possible to create a file with information about a quiz bowl tournament, without using SQBS, and then import or load that file into SQBS and have all of the data appear?
Ziad Ali
"Anyone can speak Troll, all you have to do is point and grunt."
Early College at Guilford '15
NC State University '19
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

zman147 wrote:Is it possible to create a file with information about a quiz bowl tournament, without using SQBS, and then import or load that file into SQBS and have all of the data appear?
As far as I know, the only thing of this sort is uploadable text file rosters, details of which are under "Entering Rosters from a File" in the Concise Manual for SQBS.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

NAQT's registration system does that automatically, to some extent.
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

zman147 wrote:Is it possible to create a file with information about a quiz bowl tournament, without using SQBS, and then import or load that file into SQBS and have all of the data appear?
It depends what you mean. Is it conceptually possible? Sure. Is there a tool out there that lets you do it? As Mike said, NAQT's registration system will output a loadable SQBS file with team names and rosters (and some ancillary information like whether teams are undergrad-title-eligible); the file won't include existing game data, and as far as I know no one has done that yet.

What is the specific problem you're trying to solve? Where are you starting from?
Jonah Greenthal
tintinnabulation
Wakka

Post by tintinnabulation »

We're having trouble saving the tournament. Nothing comes up in the "Save as type" box when we hit "Save" or "Save As" and the file seems empty when we open it. Are we missing something?

Edit: mostly solved
Brittany Trang
Ohio State
Northwestern
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

tintinnabulation wrote:We're having trouble saving the tournament. Nothing comes up in the "Save as type" box when we hit "Save" or "Save As" and the file seems empty when we open it. Are we missing something?

Edit: mostly solved
You can just leave that blank. I use the extension ".sqbs" for the data file, but it doesn't really matter.

I had forgotten this thread existed and now see my previous post, which reminds me to mention that
jonah wrote:
It depends what you mean. Is it conceptually possible? Sure. Is there a tool out there that lets you do it? As Mike said, NAQT's registration system will output a loadable SQBS file with team names and rosters (and some ancillary information like whether teams are undergrad-title-eligible); the file won't include existing game data, and as far as I know no one has done that yet.
NAQT's registration system can now output game data that's already been loaded into NAQT's system (assuming it doesn't exceed SQBS's limitation of eight players for any one team in any one game), though applications are pretty limited because only Chad and I (more or less) can load stats to begin with.
Jonah Greenthal
sgoebel
Lulu

Post by sgoebel »

AlecKamas wrote:I'm attempting to use SQBS on a Mac and it won't let generate reports for only certain rounds. The system generates a report that includes different numbers of games for each team. I have selected the option to only include certain rounds, but the program seems to ignore it. Any workarounds?
This issue seems to still exist in the Mac version of SQBS. Have any Mac users found workarounds for this?
Stephen Goebel
Coach, C.E. Byrd HS 2013-2020
Unaffiliated, Caddo Magnet HS 2020-
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

sgoebel wrote:
AlecKamas wrote:I'm attempting to use SQBS on a Mac and it won't let generate reports for only certain rounds. The system generates a report that includes different numbers of games for each team. I have selected the option to only include certain rounds, but the program seems to ignore it. Any workarounds?
This issue seems to still exist in the Mac version of SQBS. Have any Mac users found workarounds for this?
In my extensive experience, I have had enough issues with the Mac version of SQBS that I do everything I can to not use it if I don't have to.
sgoebel
Lulu

Post by sgoebel »

dtaylor4 wrote:
sgoebel wrote:
In my extensive experience, I have had enough issues with the Mac version of SQBS that I do everything I can to not use it if I don't have to.
I was able to get the windows version of SQBS to run on a Mac using WINE without any real problems. Trying to print quick reports locked up the program, but everything else worked just fine.
Stephen Goebel
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

What version of SQBS should I download for Linux (Xfce Unbuntu)? I would like to avoid using a Windows OS if possible.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
sgoebel
Lulu

Post by sgoebel »

Progcon wrote:What version of SQBS should I download for Linux (Xfce Unbuntu)? I would like to avoid using a Windows OS if possible.
If you use Wine (https://www.winehq.org) - I was only able to get the "executable" version to work.
Stephen Goebel
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

sgoebel wrote:
Progcon wrote:What version of SQBS should I download for Linux (Xfce Unbuntu)? I would like to avoid using a Windows OS if possible.
If you use Wine (https://www.winehq.org) - I was only able to get the "executable" version to work.
I was afraid you'd say Wine because it was kind of a pain to install due to an error it made in my package manager. I however, was able to use the executable version successfully.

Thanks!
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Jack
Lulu

Post by Jack »

Can two people working on the same tournament/division on different devices merge their files into one?
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jacke wrote:Can two people working on the same tournament/division on different devices merge their files into one?
In principle, yes, but it's somewhat error-prone. It's better to divide tournaments and scoresheets such that there will be no need to merge except perhaps at a rebracket.

If you have to merge, here's how to do it:
1. Make backup copies of everything.
2. Open the file you want to merge into.
3. Go to File, then Merge Files.
4. Choose the file you want to merge from.
5. Go through the games and clean up whatever got messed up.
Jonah Greenthal
TylerV
Wakka

Post by TylerV »

jonah wrote:
jacke wrote:Can two people working on the same tournament/division on different devices merge their files into one?
In principle, yes, but it's somewhat error-prone. It's better to divide tournaments and scoresheets such that there will be no need to merge except perhaps at a rebracket.

If you have to merge, here's how to do it:
1. Make backup copies of everything.
2. Open the file you want to merge into.
3. Go to File, then Merge Files.
4. Choose the file you want to merge from.
5. Go through the games and clean up whatever got messed up.

To reinforce on this advice, it's really important that all teams/players are entered in exactly the same. For this purpose, John Doe with a space after the e is different than John Doe with no space. If these don't match it will insert both into the merged file and treat them as different people.
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
Jack
Lulu

Post by Jack »

Okay thanks! Are there any tricks with the round/games, too? I assume no overlap on that.
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

jacke wrote:Okay thanks! Are there any tricks with the round/games, too? I assume no overlap on that.
To ensure no overlap, I would have one person stick with the traditional numbering of games (starting at 0), and the other start at a higher number, i.e. 400, so that each game still has its' own individual ID (assuming the entry people do the smart thing and write the ID # on the scoresheet once the game is entered).
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

dtaylor4 wrote:
jacke wrote:Okay thanks! Are there any tricks with the round/games, too? I assume no overlap on that.
To ensure no overlap, I would have one person stick with the traditional numbering of games (starting at 0), and the other start at a higher number, i.e. 400, so that each game still has its' own individual ID (assuming the entry people do the smart thing and write the ID # on the scoresheet once the game is entered).
Alternately, a good trick that I learned from Cody Voight is based on the fact that game numbers don't actually have to be numbers. Consequently, you can enter the game played in room 117 in round 1 as 117-1, the game played in room 119 in round 2 as 119-2, and so on. This gives every game an unambiguous and unique ID that can be easily found without having to worry about writing IDs on scoresheets, and it's useful for rebracketing even if you don't have to deal with stats input from multiple sources.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
MichaelFalk
Lulu

Post by MichaelFalk »

sgoebel wrote:This issue seems to still exist in the Mac version of SQBS. Have any Mac users found workarounds for this?
Unfortunately, I had the same problem, and also noted problems with duplicate ID numbers being allowed, negative amounts of tossups/negs being allowed, and no warnings for games played >4.0 or for bonus points being scored by a team with no tossups answered.

The workaround for me, unfortunately, was to go back to a Windows PC to fix the errors and generate the stats reports from there.
--
Michael Falk
Played for Iowa State University, 2001-2004
Coaching for St. Mary's Visitation (Elm Grove, WI), grades 6-8, 2010-present
sgoebel
Lulu

Post by sgoebel »

I found SCOP's SQBS walkthrough (http://scop-qb.org/stat/) to be really helpful with things like efficiently dealing with cross-over games and merging files.
Stephen Goebel
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Is there a way to manually set final rankings outside of editing the HTML report? I had an eleventh round for the top six teams and the real-life fifth-place team is listed as third on the report.
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Snoopy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm Is there a way to manually set final rankings outside of editing the HTML report? I had an eleventh round for the top six teams and the real-life fifth-place team is listed as third on the report.
Unfortunately, no.

I've seen some tournaments create "divisions" (SQBS's term for what most tournaments call "pools" or "brackets") that have names like "First place". It's clever, but also annoying to implement, takes up a lot of space, and obscures the actual structure of the tournament.
Jonah Greenthal
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

jonah wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:09 pm
Snoopy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:59 pm Is there a way to manually set final rankings outside of editing the HTML report? I had an eleventh round for the top six teams and the real-life fifth-place team is listed as third on the report.
Unfortunately, no.

I've seen some tournaments create "divisions" (SQBS's term for what most tournaments call "pools" or "brackets") that have names like "First place". It's clever, but also annoying to implement, takes up a lot of space, and obscures the actual structure of the tournament.
Obviously doesn't help now, but the next version of YellowFruit (sometime in the next few weeks, probably) will have the ability to manually override final rankings.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15