aseemsDB: Not just another database (hopefully)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
aseem.keyal
Wakka

aseemsDB: Not just another database (hopefully)

Post by aseem.keyal »

http://aseemsdb.me/

This database is intended to let you search a wider selection of packets compared to other databases such as Quinterest. However, this database has several drawbacks and is not intended to be a replacement for Quinterest as described in the FAQ section.
Pros: More tossups available to search, and many more bonuses
Cons: A small but not nonexistent learning curve, links to packets instead of displaying questions below (read FAQ please)

Disclaimer: See this thread regarding how the number of database hits is often not a good measure of difficulty.

As this is the first time I've announced the site to a group this big, there is a possibility that it will go down from too much load, but this is probably not likely. If you have any feedback/criticism, let me know by either posting below or emailing me at the address on the about page.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
rajk
Lulu

Re: aseemsDB: Not just another database (hopefully)

Post by rajk »

Great job on the UI design and fast searching! I also really like the answerline feature, must have taken a while to do that.
Bala
UC Berkeley, 2018
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

I just read a poem by John Milton and I wanted to see what clues came up from it, so I just went on aseemsdb.me and aseem'd the phrase "Lycidas." One quick aseem later, and now I'll never forget the line "I come to pluck your berries harsh and crude." Thanks Aseem!

-Jason Cheng 2015, quiz bowl player, UCSD
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
kionyou
Kimahri

Post by kionyou »

I've been using this database for a couple of months now, and I definitely recommend it. Thanks Aseem!

-Kion You, quiz bowl player at Rancho Bernardo
Kion You
Rancho Bernardo High School '16
Brown University '20
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

This database is among the most useful Quiz Bowl resources I've ever used. Although it fills a different niche, Aseem's DB will be just as useful as Quinterest until a complete parsable database comes along that combines the best of the two.

-Kevin Wang, quiz bowl player, Arcadia
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

Are you tired of Quinterest being incomplete and not getting a complete picture of database hits? Are you tired of having to search for that one question on Edwidge Danticat buried in a set from those years where it was cool to write about her? Introducing ASEEMSDB(TM), the first all-purpose solution to all your quiz bowl database problems! Never again will you have to wait for the slow process of sets being uploaded to Quinterest from the database. You can have all this, a $400 value, for 4 easy payments of $0.00! But wait! Call now in the next 10 minutes and we'll throw in a cattle prod! If you ever wanted to punish your teammates for negging you out of your categories, the cattle prod's dual electrode action will remind your teammates never to infringe on your territory! An $80 value, yours free! But you have to call now in the next 10 minutes. Operators are standing by to take your call. That's a $480 value for 4 easy payments of $0.00! ORDER NOW!
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Monstruos de Bolsillo
Wakka

Post by Monstruos de Bolsillo »

Do we have to pay separate processing and handling though? But in all seriousness, this is a great resource.
Alex Sankaran
West Chester '17-'21
Henderson (PA) '12-'16
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

aseemsDB has been pretty unstable in the past couple days due to a couple updates I have made. The updates should prevent the excessive amounts of downtime the database has experienced in the past, an increase in performance, and they add a link to "Preview" each packet which opens a text-only version in a new window.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

aseemsDB has been migrated to a new hosting service that will provide much better performance. Users should see an obnoxious "(new)" next to the name in the navigation bar if they are using the new site (this will be removed in a couple days).
Last edited by aseem.keyal on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

I've uploaded a video going over how to write advanced queries for aseemsDB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WYlzOyLaVo. The slides (which have examples) are linked in the video description.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

aseemsDB has been completely rewritten and several new features have been added:

1. Search results now automatically scroll to the PDF page containing the query when the packet is opened
2. Snippets now have case and punctuation (this didn't require any work and came along with an update to recoll)
3. A better, more responsive mobile experience
4. An updated "Preview" link that provides an HTML version of each packet
5. A Google form to request a set in the navbar
6. Snippets can be turned off in the "More options" section
7. The set name in each result is now a link that displays all the packets in that set
8. A better looking and trimmed down settings page available at aseemsdb.me/settings.

Full release notes: https://github.com/aseem-keyal/aseemsDB ... s/tag/v2.0
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

Looks like people are using the set request form, which is great! I've added all the requested sets so far to the database. Here's a list of requested and added sets that I will update until I add a feature on aseemsDB for this.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

Apologies for being late on set uploads for the last couple weeks, all requested sets have been uploaded now.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

aseemsDB now has a dark mode and a multiselect feature for tournament names.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18