Neg 5 : Quizbowl for the Cloud

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Re: Neg 5 : Quizbowl for the Cloud

Post by BlueDevil95 »

There shouldn't be any particularly difficult aspect to autosaving. I just haven't had the time to implement a more robust scoresheet saving solution. It's definitely on my mind, though!

(Shameless plug: Reminder that Neg5 is open source, so you have the ability to bootstrap any features you might like to see: https://github.com/mostafab/neg5.main)
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13
Georgia Institute of Technology '17

Developer of Neg5
https://neg5.org
https://stats.neg5.org
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

Sometime next week or the week after, I'll be releasing a fairly major update to the phases and divisions UI and workflows. The updates should make it easier to visualize how teams are grouped within pools and are first steps towards incorporating automatic schedule generation into the application. To summarize, the changes are:
  • Bring pools and phases into a single section.
  • Update references to "divisions" to instead use the term "pools", since that's more in line with what they actually represent.
  • Remove the individual sections for pools and phases. Make pool assignment a "drag-and-drop" experience in which the user will drag each team into their assigned pools for each phase instead of separately opening each team. This will make it easier to get a wholistic picture of what the field looks like. Should also work on touch devices.
  • Rename "Configuration" to a new "Pools" tab. Move the rules sections previously under "Configuration" to the "Overview" tab.
  • Allow all collaborators view access to this new tab. Only admins and the tournament director will be able to edit anything in the tab.
It's probably easier to have a visual representation of the update than try and speculate. I've attached a screenshot of what the update will look like, as well as an unfortunately low-quality GIF. As always, feedback is welcome.
Attachments
neg5_pools.gif
(1.12 MiB) Not downloaded yet
PoolsTab.png
(280.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13

Developer of Neg5
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

QBJ export from new tournaments seems to have stopped working, so NAQT will be unable to accept individual stats from Neg5 (even if they pass all validation) until that issue is resolved. I recommend that hosts of NAQT tournaments not use Neg5.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

jonah wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:33 am QBJ export from new tournaments seems to have stopped working, so NAQT will be unable to accept individual stats from Neg5 (even if they pass all validation) until that issue is resolved. I recommend that hosts of NAQT tournaments not use Neg5.
Just to clarify, the issue seems to be isolated to a small handful of tournaments, at least from my initial testing. It's not affecting every tournament.

I hope to have a solution by the end of next week. I won't be able to investigate the issue until then, and I'll post back here when things have been fixed.
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13

Developer of Neg5
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

The QBJ export issue should be resolved now. Furthermore, I've released the pools UI update I mentioned above. Please first attempt to clear your browser cache if you notice any odd issues. If that doesn't fix it, please contact me.

Thanks!
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13

Developer of Neg5
eckj
Kimahri

Post by eckj »

I tried to use Neg5 today for a tournament. I had preloaded all the rosters earlier this week. When I logged on this morning, I went to begin entering the round 1 stats and the save button on the match entry screen would not work.
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

We have uploaded rosters/scores for our league but now it does not save the stats from new matches. Any guidance is much appreciated. We love the product.
sgoebel
Lulu

Post by sgoebel »

It appears to be working again, though I'm hesitant to use it again in the near future. Having a bug like this pop up in the middle of a tournament would be pretty disastrous.
Stephen Goebel
Coach, C.E. Byrd HS 2013-2020
Unaffiliated, Caddo Magnet HS 2020-
PocketProtectorGuy
Kimahri

Post by PocketProtectorGuy »

I have 2 league matches that I can not edit. A collaborator got it half way done and now I can't get back in to them to finish them. Everything else with that tournament is working fine. If you can't help me, my only other option is to start over.
Joshua Queen
Chillicothe (OH) quiz bowl coach
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

If you could be a bit more specific, I might be able to help. Alternatively, if you give full rights to my account (jrutsky), I will look at the event from here and see if I can figure out what is happening.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
PocketProtectorGuy
Kimahri

Post by PocketProtectorGuy »

I added you. It is the Unioto and McClain JV matches for round 1 and 2. If you click them, it just says "could not load match". I apologize for this. It was user error, because I didn't remind her the steps.
Joshua Queen
Chillicothe (OH) quiz bowl coach
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Joshua, this is an odd error. I got the same results, and even tried doing a little fiddling to get something back that was more usable. When I went to the stats to see what I could learn, it appears to me that what happened with these matches is that your scorekeeper or your data person who did the entry entered the match DIRECTLY, and not by way of a scoresheet. If you look at the stat lines for matches one and two for those teams, you see that neither team shows any tossups answered OR any bonuses heard, but they have the final score allocated totally in Bonus Points. To me, that looks like someone who didn't know what to do went in to the Add Match dialogue, ignored the individuals, and just entered the scores under Team 1 Score and Team 2 Score. There's nothing to stop someone from doing that; I did the exact thing to make a fictional match in Round 22 between the teams, then deleted it.

Anyway, that's why it looks to me like you can't pull up a scoresheet, but that's only a guess. I am not sure why you can't pull up the submitted sheets and edit the individual scores, but maybe the file got corrupted along the way. Your only recourse is going to be manually reentering the rounds, I'm afraid.
Joshua Rutsky
ASCA Board Member
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

It seems that results for at least a couple tournaments have erased themselves. Here's one and another. According to my records, those used to be the full results for those events. What happened?
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Captain Sinico wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:07 pm It seems that results for at least a couple tournaments have erased themselves. Here's one and another. According to my records, those used to be the full results for those events. What happened?
Seconding the above: the 2016 Huskie Bowl results are also gone. What happened?
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

This is just a bump regarding this program, requesting that anyone who has the desire to make a contribution to the QB community and the ability to work with this programming language PLEASE consider adding lightning round functionality to the program. I have been searching for someone willing to make this addition for quite some time, and have had no success.
Joshua Rutsky
ASCA Board Member
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Additionally, I'd love for Neg5 to actually validate stats. Especially that there aren't too many players in the same game and that bonus (and, if applicable, bounceback) points are divisible by 10, but there are a lot of missing validations.

But it really seems to me that this project has been abandoned. The last development activity seems to have been over a year ago.

Without validation, I have to recommend not using Neg5—the stats NAQT gets from it almost always contain a lot of errors, making them unusable for us and unreliable for anyone doing anything (including running the tournament itself).
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Is there a way to turn off bonuses for a tossup-only event?

Also, I tried creating a tournament with both 20 point and 15 point powers. When I go to the scoresheet tab and hit the "20" button it also registers every "20" as a "15". I assume this is a bug. Is there some other way to support having multiple power levels at a tournament?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I tried looking through this thread to see if there were any instructions for resetting a password. I have my username, but have forgotten my password, and if I try to re-register, I'm told my e-mail address is in use, so I'm out of luck. Any ideas?

EDIT: So of course I just re-registered using a dummy e-mail. Is that the general recourse for forgetting a password?
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Halinaxus
Wakka

Post by Halinaxus »

On a similar note, Neg 5 doesn't seem to have the ability to edit matches that have already been entered. I played around with entering stats from a Science Bowl meet last year to familiarize myself with the site (being able to run it on a Chromebook really appealed to me), but had to give up almost immediately because whenever I messed up something minor in a specific game and had to fix it, Neg 5 gave me an error message and would not load those games. This meant that I would have had to re-create the tournament again in Neg 5 after every minor mistake, which obviously is not very feasible.

It's possible this is on my end somehow, and since I'm not using Neg 5 for anything important (ie, real quiz bowl stats), it doesn't really matter, but I figured I would mention this here and see if anyone else has had the same issue.
Reilly Melville
Chaska High School '22
Purdue University '26
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

That latest issue has never happened to me. I would guess there's either something wrong with the site temporarily, or something you're doing wrong.
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Perhaps this video can help.
Mike Sorice
Halinaxus
Wakka

Post by Halinaxus »

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. Regarding the administrator situation, I can rule that out because I am the only person that has ever edited the stats of the tournament I'm having this issue with (I never invited any collaborators).

The issue I'm having occurs when I try to load a match from the "match list" screen, as you do at the 0:45 mark of your video. Instead of loading the match as you do, I get an error message that says "could not load match" at the bottom of the screen. I have attached a screenshot of the message.
Captain Sinico wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:09 am That latest issue has never happened to me. I would guess there's either something wrong with the site temporarily, or something you're doing wrong.
You're probably right. Perhaps I got unlucky and uploaded the results when Neg 5 was undergoing maintenance or something, and the files got corrupted. Like I said in my first post, this isn't an important issue if I'm the only one having it, because it's probably on my end and I'm not using Neg 5 for anything important (and don't plan on doing so anytime soon).

Thanks again for your help!

Edit: I'm not sure if my attachment made it through or not, since I can't find an obvious way to view it from my post. I attached it using the "attachments" tab at the bottom of the posting screen, but maybe I forgot to do something (I'm fairly new here). Anyway, here is a link to the screenshot - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tEdLM- ... 6VGAC/view. Sorry for the confusion!
Reilly Melville
Chaska High School '22
Purdue University '26
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I can't see that screenshot. I think you need to make it accessible to everyone in Google Drive.
Mike Sorice
Halinaxus
Wakka

Post by Halinaxus »

Captain Sinico wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:39 pm I can't see that screenshot. I think you need to make it accessible to everyone in Google Drive.
Oops, that makes sense. I changed the sharing setting - can you view it now?
Reilly Melville
Chaska High School '22
Purdue University '26
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I see. That's very odd – I don't think I've seen that.
Mike Sorice
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

It appears the search function is no longer working. It seems that API calls are giving a 500 error.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food