Discord Tournament Assistant

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
Alejandro
Wakka

Discord Tournament Assistant

Post by Alejandro »

The Quiz Bowl Discord Tournament Assistant bot sets up all of the channels and permissions needed to host an online tournament on Discord in minutes. It will ask the tournament director for a list of readers, list of team names, and the number of round robins. From there, it generates the round robin schedule, all of the text and voice channels, and the reader and team roles needed for the server. It will assign roles to players so that they only see the rooms their team will play in.

The link above has more information on how to run it, but if you are interested in using it or testing it out, send me a message here or on Discord and I can show you how it works.

This bot started as a hackathon project in 2018 and is still under development, so suggestions, bug reports, and feedback are all welcome.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17
meebles127
Tidus

Re: Discord Tournament Assistant

Post by meebles127 »

This is an idea I've had for a long time and am so happy that it exists. This will remove a significant amount of the tedious bull :capybara: that goes into making Discord tournaments happen. Thanks so much for putting forth the effort to make this happen.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Alejandro
Wakka

Re: Discord Tournament Assistant

Post by Alejandro »

A new version of the bot is out. The bot now supports the following:
  • Checking the schedule of the tournament with !schedule
  • Rebracketing with !rebracket, which will create new rooms for those rounds and assign the correct roles to those rooms
  • Checking the list of commands with !help
If you want to use the bot for your Discord tournament, or you're just interested in it, then send me a message here or on Discord.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17