New Discord Tournament Server Management Bot

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
entropy
Wakka

New Discord Tournament Server Management Bot

Post by entropy »

I've created a new Discord bot that is capable of facilitating most of the "Discord-fu" needed to run online tournaments, eliminating most unnecessary staff labor. The bot comes with a new paradigm for how Discord tournaments are run.

"Traditionally," Discord tournaments have been run by creating a separate text/voice channel for each combination of round and room, and manually setting the permissions of those text/voice channels. This requires an immense amount of manual labor from underpaid tournament staff. Using this bot, TDs can set up a Discord server for their tournament with one command, create rooms with another, and dynamically add and remove teams from rooms. While it takes some getting used to, this new method represents an immense reduction of labor for staff.

You can invite the bot to your tournament server using this link. To get started, use the ".help" command. This bot is open-source. Currently I am hosting this bot on my local machine, meaning that TDs do not have to worry about setting up the script for themselves. I will try to find a more durable hosting solution if my laptop proves infeasible.

Please respond to this thread or DM me over Discord if you have any questions about how to use this bot! I hope this bot is able to make the process of running a Discord tournament far easier and more accessible for everyone.

Edit: This bot is a more feature-rich version of the one used by CALISTO Online this year.
karan
utexas
entropy
Wakka

Re: New Discord Tournament Server Management Bot

Post by entropy »

Some updates:
  • Users can now append the "--force" flag to any command to skip confirmation; the bot will acknowledge these commands by reacting with 👍
  • The .m command creates numbered team roles within a specified range, randomizes their colors, and creates team huddle rooms
  • The .b command sets the bitrate for every voice channel in the server to a specified value
  • The "Hub" section of the server is now accessible to everyone
  • The bot can now accept multiple commands in a single message; commands should be separated by newlines
  • I'm now hosting the bot on an AWS Lightsail instance, which should help a lot with downtime
I'm currently working on improving the bot's error handling and help dialogs in order to make a more informative and less opaque user experience. I'm also trying to clean up and optimize my code, which should make a difference in the bot's response times and processing speed.

Please let me know if you have any other functionality suggestions!
karan
utexas
entropy
Wakka

Post by entropy »

I am very proud and grateful that PACE has officially recommended that TDs use this bot for Discord tournaments. This page on the PACE website provides a detailed guide for how to use the bot.
karan
utexas
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

entropy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:45 pm I am very proud and grateful that PACE has officially recommended that TDs use this bot for Discord tournaments. This page on the PACE website provides a detailed guide for how to use the bot.
This link no longer works. I believe this is the correct link now.
Eleanor
they/she