UCSD Scoresheets

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Arras Agility
Wakka

UCSD Scoresheets

Post by Arras Agility »

UCSD Scoresheets are a system for scorekeeping tournaments that have been been widely used at UCSD and other physical SoCal tournaments for the past few years, and are now being released to the general quizbowl public in light of the need for scorekeeping options for online tournaments.

The system uses Google Sheets for scoresheets and tournament monitoring, with conditional formatting for automatically catching errors in the scoresheets themselves, as well as code to automatically generate these spreadsheets and convert statistics from them to SQBS format. Tournament directors can then generate web reports using SQBS itself - at this time, YellowFruit data files are not supported.

These scoresheets assume "quizbowl standard" rules (i.e. games of two teams playing 20 tossups scored with 15-point powers, 10-point gets, and 5-point losses for negs, 20 three-part bonuses worth 30 points, teams of no more than six, no bouncebacks). Some limited modifications to the format (e.g. tournaments without powers or bonuses) are possible using the same scoresheets, but these are likely not the tool for you if your format is far from the quizbowl standard. SQBS export assumes similarly standard rules, and supports divisions but not most of the other advanced features of SQBS.

You can generate scoresheets and convert results to SQBS at the website for these sheets, ucsd-scoresheets.com. I will manually approve people to be allowed to create spreadsheets - the site will not work for you if I haven't approved your email. Contact me through any medium if you are the TD of a legitimate tournament, and I will approve your email - you'll then be able to create scoresheets for tournaments and convert them to SQBS format. (This limitation is because the Google Drive API has limits on the number of automated operations it allows, so too many concurrent users would .) Since this system is based on Google Sheets, only emails to which Google Docs are shareable will work. (This includes, at least, Gmail emails and many school districts' mail systems.) Once you've created a tournament, a folder will be shared with you that contains a document outlining how to use the system and all the spreadsheets.

An example tournament is available in this folder - this includes individual bonus part tracking. Room 1, Round 1 shows a sample game (including tiebreakers), and Room 2, Round 1 contains some examples of conditional formatting showing automated error checking.

Note that email approval is permanent - you'll be able to create as many tournaments as you want once you're approved. Please don't abuse this, due to those API limits. As one incentive not to abuse this, you can only run the SQBS conversion code on your most recent tournament made.

I will likely be able to provide tossup conversion statistics on request, and, if individual bonus part tracking is enabled, bonus conversion statistics as well. That functionality may be added to the website at some point. Caveat that such statistics, if they exist, will likely be somewhat unreliable due to moderator error.

The scoresheets themselves are based on Dana Lansigan's scoresheets announced here and revised by Jonathan Luck, who also wrote much of the code in this project. Its Github repository can be found here.

Let me know if you would like access, would like to contribute, or have any questions!
Alistair Gray
Homestead '18
UCSD '22
jonah
Auron

Re: UCSD Scoresheets

Post by jonah »

What's the best way to ask questions and provide feedback on this project, especially with respect to possible bugs and security issues?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Arras Agility
Wakka

Re: UCSD Scoresheets

Post by Arras Agility »

jonah wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:14 pm What's the best way to ask questions and provide feedback on this project, especially with respect to possible bugs and security issues?
Email me.
Alistair Gray
Homestead '18
UCSD '22