Using the "View Server as Role" Feature on Discord to Eliminate Logistical Errors

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
meebles127
Tidus

Using the "View Server as Role" Feature on Discord to Eliminate Logistical Errors

Post by meebles127 »

Discord recently introduced a feature that allows you to view the server as a given role or role(s). This was announced pretty quietly so I'm writing this mostly to raise awareness and show its usefulness. I strongly suggest that all TDs who manually set up their tournaments use this feature to ensure that they did not make any mistakes.

When you open "Server Settings" and go under roles, you should see this button that will allow you to interact with the server as that role.

After setting up room permissions, TDs should go through every single role to ensure that people with that role can view the correct rooms and voice channels. Using this feature will enable TDs to prevent logistical errors that can arise from not properly perming rooms prior to an event.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: Using the "View Server as Role" Feature on Discord to Eliminate Logistical Errors

Post by CPiGuy »

To piggyback on this:

Once roles are set up, staffers should either not be given admin permissions or should be expressly told not to change anything. In particular, do not assume that staffers are competent at setting roles for online quizbowl tournaments simply because they have admin permissions in another server which has a completely different purpose. (At least one TD of a quite large online tournament has told me they did this, with nearly-catastrophic consequences.)
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database