Standard Ebooks

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
wcheng
Wakka

Standard Ebooks

Post by wcheng »

A project that I've been contributing a lot of my spare time to during the lockdown and the months since is Standard Ebooks, an online library for open source public domain literature, not unlike Project Gutenberg. However, unlike Project Gutenberg, books on Standard Ebooks are formatted for modern ereaders, don't look like early 2000s web pages (if you have used Project Gutenberg you know exactly what I am talking about), are thoroughly proofread according to a consistent and modern manual of style, and to top it all off are marked up for screenreader accessibility. While the number of books available isn't too huge (565 at the time of this post), it is increasing every week and already has a lot of the most canonical works. When you are looking for primary source texts for pubic domain books, I would definitely recommend checking out the SE version if it exists. It's also just a great place to find reading material!

Also, there are plenty of ways to contribute to the site at various degrees of technical sophistication. My sense is that there are more than a handful of people in the quizbowl community with the combination of technical skills, literary interests, and editing experience that make for great contributors to Standard Ebooks. It is a lot of fun and I have already produced seven books (including an anthology of Leo Tolstoy's short fiction) for the site, so I can speak from experience!
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27