Brain of Quarantine 2020 - Online Charity MIMIR tournament

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook
Lulu

Brain of Quarantine 2020 - Online Charity MIMIR tournament

Post by Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook »

While quite a lot of the present situation is doom and gloom, I thought it would be fun to try some things which we don't normally do, rather than just having events which are version of previous events. In this vein, and to raise money for charity, a small team (me, Joey Goldman and George Charlson) are writing a competition called Brain of Quarantine, which is open for US quiz-bowlers to play. This isn't quizbowl, but I'm sure there will be some people who are interested so I'll advertise it here, as well as elsewhere. I know a lot of people are at a loose end, and so now seems as good a time as any.

The Format of the Games

The competition will consist of games in the MIMIR format, used in the UK for competitions like Brain of London. The format is for four individual players. A game consists of 15 sets of 4 linked questions, with each player being given one question in each set, although the order of the questions is randomised, so the various parts of a quad will appear at different times. Each player receives 3 questions in each round, with up to 30 seconds to answer each one, and there are 5 rounds. If a player answers correctly, they get 1 point, and if they answer incorrectly, the other players will have the chance to guess, for one point. The order of guesses is determined by the number of previous guesses that the other players have had on unanswered questions. If these are level, the order of guessing follows the seating order. Correct and incorrect attempts at other players' questions count as attempts, but it is possible to pass and not to hazard an answer. I will send a fuller guide to the gameplay to people if they sign-up so don't worry about that if you are trepidatious.
The exact format of the competition depends a bit on how many sign-ups we get, but in general the top 2 in each game will go through.

The Questions
If you want to play, the early rounds have been written to be pretty friendly all round, with the difficulty increasing as you go through. The games will be played via Zoom which allows people to play from different parts of the world simultaneously and also stops cheating.

The questions have been written to appeal to a global audience and are roughly divided between the categories Arts and Literature, History, Geography, Music, Sports and Entertainment then some odds and ends. There is a mix of quizbowly and non-quizbowly stuff and its quite cool imo to see how people compare. There is a pretty strong field of British players so far, and it would be really cool to see some US quizzers playing as well.

Sign-up is here:https://forms.gle/EETEU9ijiV17sjyk8

Sign-up closes April 10th 2020. The suggested donation per player is $6/£5/€6 per player and the just giving link is here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/quizagainstcovid
Daoud Jackson
Oxford 2014-2018
President Oxford University Quiz Society 2016-7

Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook
Lulu

Re: Brain of Quarantine 2020 - Online Charity MIMIR tournament

Post by Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook »

So this tournament is reaching its eventual conclusion tomorrow evening at 8:00pm BST. The final will feature David Stainer, Iain Thoms, Peter Ediss and the internet's own Jakob Myers. If you want to cheer him on I'll be streaming the final on Twitter (@QuizVsCovid) and Twitch (https://www.twitch.tv/mimirswellquiz).

We're starting a new league soon so if you are interested in checking out the format, now's a great time to do so.
Daoud Jackson
Oxford 2014-2018
President Oxford University Quiz Society 2016-7