Ohio TRASH '20 (finally) - Main site - Sunday, April 18

Old college threads.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Ohio TRASH '20 (finally) - Main site - Sunday, April 18

Post by BobGHHS »

Typically, we run this tournament for Ohio teams only, with an occasional out-of-state team, but because of the circumstances this year, we're opening it up to anybody. There are also two mirror sites already lined up, plus Nick Pruitt's mirror during the summer.

The Ohio TRASH ‘20 (still calling it that) Pop Culture tournament (main site) will take place online using Google Meet on Sunday, April 18th, 2021. Bob Kilner is the contact person for this tournament at [email protected] - Greg Bossick will serve as the day-of tournament director. I know it is not ideal to have a Sunday tournament, but with middle school and high school NAQT and OAC regional/state tournaments taking up many of the Saturdays in April/May, we didn't want to conflict with any academic events.

Eligibility
Any students attending the same high school or same middle school in any state can play.  There will be other mirrors of this set as well on different dates.  Each team may consist of a maximum of 8 players, with no more than 4 playing at any given time.  Substitutions will only be allowed during halftime of a game. Players may be on a network of their choosing or they can all be in the same room, but they must be visible at all times.  (Obviously even in the same room they should still be 6-feet apart). Normal rules against conferral on tossups will still apply.

Question Set
The TRASH ‘20 set is written by Bob and Drew Scheeler, with small contributions from Greg Bossick, Ryan Milowicki, Nick Tabar, and others.  It is a very loose distribution of 4/4 movies, 4/4 tv, 4/4 music, 3/3 sports, 1/1 internet/computers, 1/1 advertising/consumer products, 3/3 ‘other’.  Bonuses will be in some way related to the tossup.

Rules
-All players, coaches, and spectators are expected to follow typical rules that an in-person tournament would involve.  This also includes general courtesy, respect, and understanding that technology doesn’t always behave (although we will do our best to make sure it does).
-Players must keep their cameras on unless a written request for an exception is approved by the tournament director.

Gameplay will follow NAQT rules with the following modifications:
-Rounds will be untimed and consist of twenty tossup-bonus cycles
-Players must wait to be verbally recognized by the reader before giving an answer.
-Players will receive 7 seconds after buzzing in (instead of the normal 5) to give an answer.
-On bonuses, the teams will be prompted for an answer after 7 seconds (instead of the normal 5), at which time the captain should give the answer or designate someone to give the answer.
-There will be no bounce-backs on bonuses.
-Tied games will be broken by reading tossups until the first score change
-All players will use buzzin.live to buzz on tossup questions on a phone or tablet device.  Each round the reader will give them the room code to login with their REAL NAMES. PLAYERS' HANDS MUST REMAIN VISIBLE IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA AT ALL TIMES.
-Cheating of any kind will not be tolerated.  We reserve the right to remove problematic individuals at our discretion should the need arise.

The tournament will start at 10am eastern time.

All info needed will be distributed in the week leading up to the event. Be prepared to play 5 rounds of preliminaries, followed by playoffs for the top teams and a consolation 6th round for those that don't make the playoffs. At least, that's the plan for right now.

Registration

The field is initially capped at 24 teams.  If we have enough interest and secure enough staff, the field could potentially expand.  To register, email Bob at [email protected].

Payment
The registration fee is $70 per team.  Since payment is coming directly to me and not to any school, you can pay me by PayPal or Venmo if you prefer. If you want to pay me by check from your school or a personal check, I will gladly provide an invoice or receipt if needed.  If your school needs me to fill out a W9 before they’re willing to pay an individual, I can do that as well.  If we need to figure something else out, let me know.  If you are sending me a check, I will provide you with an address at that time.

Reader/Scorekeeper Discount
Any school providing an experienced staffer will receive $10 off their fee.  That staffer will be used to read or keep score and must be available for the whole tournament.  The staffer doesn’t necessarily have to be affiliated with your school.  If you know a good reader from elsewhere that is available, feel free to ask them to participate and you can claim the discount. Staff will be on an as-needed basis.  Once I have enough lined up, I will not be accepting any more for the discount.

If you are reading this and you just want to volunteer to help read/scorekeep, shoot me an email - we'd be glad to have you help out.

Prizes
The first and second place teams will have trashy prizes mailed or dropped off at an address of their choosing. In the interest of time (especially this year), we decided a few years ago to get rid of individual stats and awards.

Mirror Sites:
Youngstown/Ashtabula-area online mirror - April 17 - contact Greg Bossick at [email protected]
Toledo-area (in-person) mirror - May 8 - contact Greg Bossick at [email protected]
Nick Pruitt's mirror - June 25 - contact Nick at [email protected]

Mirror fee is $20/team in attendance.  The set consists of 9 full packets and extra/replacements.  Shoot me an email if you’re interested in hosting a mirror.

We've run this tournament every year since 2006 and just about every year, it has filled up completely. If you're planning on participating, get your registration in as soon as possible. Please email me to register.

Hope to have your team participate here or at one of the mirror sites! Feel free to email me (Bob) with any questions.

Bob Kilner and Greg Bossick
TRASH '20 co-tournament directors
Last edited by BobGHHS on Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
BobGHHS
Rikku

Re: Ohio TRASH '20 (finally) - Main site - Sunday, April 18

Post by BobGHHS »

Field Update:
Ohio Virtual Academy A - paid
Ohio Virtual Academy B - paid
Portsmouth - paid
Ashland Blazer (KY)
Brecksville A - paid
Brecksville B - paid
Stebbins - paid
Quince Orchard (MD)
Benjamin Logan - paid
Butler - paid
Maumee Valley Country Day School
Southeast - paid
Highland - paid
Northmont - paid

Readers/Scorekeepers:
Bob Kilner
Ryan Milowicki
Cari Milowicki
Drew Scheeler
Eric Wolske/Brigett' Wolske
John Timmer
Chloe Busch
Michael Kettler
Erin Dearth
Christine Bartzis
Last edited by BobGHHS on Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Bob Kilner

nicole.
Rikku

Post by nicole. »

My mirror will be on Friday, June 25th for the record, if you don’t want to play with people exclusively from your school or can’t make this mirror, highly recommend you come down to mine, thanks Bob for shouting me out
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Greg and I are going to close registration early next week, so if anyone else wants to participate on the 18th, please send me an email.
Bob Kilner

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

We are currently at 14-15 teams, and would love to get to 18, or at least 16. If any of you want to participate, please shoot me an email ASAP so I can add you to the field.
Bob Kilner

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Looking for any high school or middle school team that wants to play Sunday. Free-of-charge to get us to 16 even for bracketing purposes. First team to email me at bk31883 <at> gmail <dot> com gets the spot.
Bob Kilner

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Spots filled. See everyone tomorrow!
Bob Kilner

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Info for tomorrow has been sent out. The spreadsheet has been updated with the brackets, room links, etc. If you did not get the info, email Greg at [email protected] ASAP and we will get it to you. See everyone tomorrow!
Bob Kilner

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Thanks to all the teams who came out virtually to play in TRASH '20 today online. It was great to see all of you, to finally get back to something quizbowl related, and to see how much fun everyone had on the set.

Congratulations to Brecksville-Broadview Heights A who defeated Vandalia Butler 260-250 in an exciting final that came down to the last question.

Greg will send out some stats once we can compile everything.

If anyone is looking for a trash set to mirror for anything this summer or early next year, feel free to email me.

Good luck to everyone at the various national tournaments.
Bob Kilner