Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
Banana Stand
Wakka

Re: Clearinghouse for Random Packet Announcements

Post by Banana Stand »

I'll be reading my Albert Fish Memorial Tournament on Saturday night over Skype and IRC, in that order. It's 50 power-marked tossups, 7-8 lines in length for each. If the name didn't give it away, a lot of the questions will be pretty graphic, so I wouldn't advise playing if that's not your cup of tea.
Jack Mehr
St. Joe's NJ '14
UVA '19
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

jonpin wrote:I've written a music packet, primarily pop of the last decade, but with a broad distribution of "things I know and/or like". My team gets first crack at it during one of our post-nationals screwing-around practices, so this will be read in IRC Thursday night, probably circa 9pm ET.

Exciting. Let's see if I can live up to my self-proclaimed love for modern pop music/if watching too many episodes of ToddInTheShadows can finally get me points.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If there's enough people around and I'm still awake after Jon finishes his packet, I can read mine tonight (my Internet is spotty, so be prepared to withstand me getting disconnected at times).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I'm starting in like 15-20 minutes. It's just 20+1 tossups, so there should certainly be time for Mike to run his thing after me.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

John Lawrence (!) won my trash packet by defeating Dan Passner on a tiebreaker. Packet to be posted later.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

The top three on my packet were Matt Jackson 70, Rob Carson 50, Dylan Minarik 30+TB. Mike Cheyne had 30 but I also gave him several spiteful -5s. Chris Manners didn't have 30 points but I thought he did.
Attachments
2014 trash packet.docx
(20.54 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

I wrote a packet of 30 Star Wars (movies only) common link tossups for evening play at this year's HSNCT. They're short (~4 lines apiece, no powers) and ill-advised. I'll read them on the IRC (#starwarslinks on SlashNET) this Monday (June 9) at 10 pm EST, unless there are many objections.

EDIT: This happened. Scores and packet below.

Eric: 35
Matt Weiner: 40
Tejas: 70
Auroni: 0
Sean: 35
Mik: 10
Victor: 35
Stephen: 10
Matt Bollinger: 5
Attachments
Star Wars common links.doc
(161.4 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Last edited by Beast Mode on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
Banana Stand
Wakka

Post by Banana Stand »

I read the packet on Skype and in the IRC tonight. Skype had 4 people and got about 20/50 tossups. IRC had more and powered almost everything. Stats for both as follows; I didn't know the full names of everybody, so sorry if it's not there.

IRC: Jonathan- 100, Matt Lafer-100, Tejas- 85, Matt Bollinger- 85, Will Nediger- 30, Matt Weiner- 25, Ben H.- 25, Mike Cheyne- 20, Stephen Eltinge- 15, Ian (not Drayer) Lenhoff- 15 Doug Graebner-10, Auroni Gupta- 10, Richard- 10, Cody Voight- 0, Matt Jackson- -5, Ben Zhang- -5, Sam Bailey- -10, Manners- -20

Skype: Sean McBride- 80, Alex Liu-75, Hidehiro- 60, Dan Pechi- 30

The packet is posted here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9jm0onbkxcgu ... nament.doc
Last edited by Banana Stand on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Mehr
St. Joe's NJ '14
UVA '19
Bloodwych
Wakka

Post by Bloodwych »

I will read my classics packet tonight (Sunday) at around 10 or so in the IRC.
🚿
Quince Orchard HS '11
Maryland - College Park '15

Well, you built up a world of magic
Because your real life is tragic
Yeah, you built up a world of magic
Bloodwych
Wakka

Post by Bloodwych »

I read my classical literature packet.

Scores:
Matt B. 145
Will N. 65
Eric M. 25
Victor P. 10
Patrick L. -5
Isaac H. -5

It is below. Also, there is a bit of strong language in it. I forgot to mention that before.
Classical Packet of Classical Literature Things.docx
(195.61 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
🚿
Quince Orchard HS '11
Maryland - College Park '15

Well, you built up a world of magic
Because your real life is tragic
Yeah, you built up a world of magic
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

I have toyed around with the idea of writing a packet on Electronica recently. I wrote a couple of tossups which I just played in the IRC. People were able to answer them, and these are kind of what I'm looking to write.

They're quoted below. Is anyone interested in hearing more of these?
One of her songs, which features a flute solo by Rudy Stephenson, was used twice in a remix by Masters at Work. The title character of that song ‘makes a man lose his head’ when she is ‘dressed in red’, and refers a prostitute who offers sex to sailors. Another remix of one of her songs was sampled by HTC for their You campaign in 2008; in that song, “What’s the matter with you, rock?” and “Don’t you see I need you, rock?” are questions posed to the title character. This singer, who has a popular rendition of “See-Line Woman” had her “Sinner Man” remixed by Felix da Housecat. For 10 points, identify this artist who is better known for her jazz compositions, singing, and piano, exemplified by “Mississippi Goddamn.”
ANSWER: Nina Simone
In a duo of these people, one tells his friend to “check out my KO punch” in a music video prior to meeting with “Mel the Magician” and “Toni Macaroni”, who accompany “The Godfather.” That music video featuring these people involves them rendezvousing with Sherilyn and Nikisha, and running about town pasting posters for the titular Californian city. These people appear in a muic video that ends with the phrase “I’m eating fun dip right now;” in that video, these people cause a man to have a hook prosthesis after they pull of a heist in which they loot an ice cream truck. For 10 points, identify these people who appear in music videos to Sidney Samson’s “Riverside” and Skrillex’s “Bangarang” who are mostly interested in candy.
ANSWER: children [accept: kids; prompt: "ruffians" or "hooligans" or anything of the sort until you hear something about them being kids; do not accept “Chris Ray”]
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Harpie's Feather Duster

I would most certainly play a packet of electronica-related questions at some time if they're available.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Rompimientos del Centauro
Lulu

Post by Rompimientos del Centauro »

Here comes a random trash packet by #hchsqb!

Mehnaj Ahmed, Auroni Gupta, Richard Yu and I have collaborated on a packet affectionately named "69 Buzz Songs and A Neg of Despair". It will feature self-indulgent trash tossups mostly about music near and dear to our hearts, with some TV and a non-zero number of tossups on movies and sports and video games or whatever.

Tossups are ~8 lines (10 point TNR with 1 inch margins), power-marked, and pretty hard.

Looking to play this in #quizbowl, this coming Sunday at 10PM.
York Chen
Hunter '12
Vassar '16
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Just a Guy Made Of Dots and Lines wrote:Here comes a random trash packet by #hchsqb!

Mehnaj Ahmed, Auroni Gupta, Richard Yu and I have collaborated on a packet affectionately named "69 Buzz Songs and A Neg of Despair". It will feature self-indulgent trash tossups mostly about music near and dear to our hearts, with some TV and a non-zero number of tossups on movies and sports and video games or whatever.

Tossups are ~8 lines (10 point TNR with 1 inch margins), power-marked, and pretty hard.

I, Wilton Rao, endorse this packet. It's fun for all ages! But more fun for old people than young people, because old people are filled with infinite wisdom while young people do not yet know what it means to be human.
Last edited by Urech hydantoin synthesis on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Just a Guy Made Of Dots and Lines wrote:Here comes a random trash packet by #hchsqb!

Damn, mad I missed this.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

Mr. Joyboy wrote:

Damn, mad I missed this.
For the record, I believe Ian Lenhoff got the most things in this packet, and then after him Matt Lafer. It was pretty poorly received ("worse than Modern World"). But I'm optimistic that there are some diehard contemporary hip-hop or indie music fans in quiz bowl who might enjoy it. Please find the packet below!
Attachments
hipster vanity packet.docx
(53.41 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
Richard
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

armitage wrote:
Mr. Joyboy wrote:

Damn, mad I missed this.
For the record, I believe Ian Lenhoff got the most things in this packet, and then after him Matt Lafer. It was pretty poorly received ("worse than Modern World"). But I'm optimistic that there are some diehard contemporary hip-hop or indie music fans in quiz bowl who might enjoy it. Please find the packet below!
No joke, best trash packet I've ever read (though I wished you mentioned the clean in the New Zealand tu)
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
hydrocephalitic listlessness
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by hydrocephalitic listlessness »

This is easily the best trash packet I've ever read.
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Needed more common-link album-cover animal tossups.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Harpie's Feather Duster

I cried tears of joy upon reading the tossup on the Naked Grandma guy and then felt immense shame on the fact that I would have been to convert the question just out of power.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

I'm left with a hole in my heart now, having missed what will probably be the only Pianos Become the Teeth lead-in in quizbowl history.

But seriously, that was an awesome trash packet- the depth and variety in the music was amazing and I hope I don't miss any future packets like this. If anyone is interested in writing more things like it, I would love to contribute.
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Don't know if I'd call it my favorite packet ever, but I thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the hunter trash whatever that we're all talking about. It was cool.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

If you liked the Hunter trash packet but thought, "Boy, I wish it was only about music, weirder, and on decidedly less 'hip' stuff," you're in luck! Tonight at 9 PM I'll be reading a music packet I wrote. It's on music I like, mostly, so you're forewarned.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Well this certainly happened! Rob Carson unsurprisingly won. Here's the packet.
Attachments
IsaacsDumbMusicPacket2.docx
(13.99 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

I will be reading a packet of tossups on the TV show Archer on Sunday night at 11p Eastern. It will be read on the IRC in #archer.

Please note that the questions will only contain content from the first four seasons, as I have not seen the fifth season yet. If you spoil anything for me (or anybody else that hasn't seen the fifth season), you will be promptly ejected from the room.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

Wasabi wrote:I will be reading a packet of tossups on the TV show Archer on Sunday night at 11p Eastern. It will be read on the IRC in #archer.

Please note that the questions will only contain content from the first four seasons, as I have not seen the fifth season yet. If you spoil anything for me (or anybody else that hasn't seen the fifth season), you will be promptly ejected from the room.
Please post this here (or email it to me, I guess) after you're read it. This will make my wife's day.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Wasabi wrote:I will be reading a packet of tossups on the TV show Archer on Sunday night at 11p Eastern. It will be read on the IRC in #archer.
This is happening in 10 minutes.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Saul won this with 70, despite Adam one-lining the last three tossups to tie with Cory.

Saul - 70
Cory - 60
Adam S - 60
Nathan - 10
Andy - 10
Freed - 10

If anybody who didn't hear this still wants to play this, shoot me an email. Otherwise, I'll post it here in a couple days.

EDIT: Added packet.
Attachments
Archer Packet.pdf
(101.04 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Last edited by Victor Prieto on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

In order to ease World Cup withdrawal, I will be reading a soccer packet next Monday at 9PM EST. I can read on either Skype or IRC depending on interest.

EDIT: This will be on Tuesday instead at the same time.
Last edited by Tejas on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14

I have a packet of 40 album tossups that I'll read in the IRC at 11pm EDT, unless people have objections to that time. A good number of the questions are very difficult, but if you liked the Hunter/Hirsch packets, there should be some stuff here you'll enjoy.
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF

hydrocephalitic listlessness wrote:I have a packet of 40 album tossups that I'll read in the IRC at 11pm EDT, unless people have objections to that time. A good number of the questions are very difficult, but if you liked the Hunter/Hirsch packets, there should be some stuff here you'll enjoy.
Due to some internet issues (I'm abroad right now), I'm going to push this back to tomorrow night at 11.
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF

hydrocephalitic listlessness wrote:
hydrocephalitic listlessness wrote:I have a packet of 40 album tossups that I'll read in the IRC at 11pm EDT, unless people have objections to that time. A good number of the questions are very difficult, but if you liked the Hunter/Hirsch packets, there should be some stuff here you'll enjoy.
Due to some internet issues (I'm abroad right now), I'm going to push this back to tomorrow night at 11.
Happening in 15 minutes in #WillsMusic.
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF

This happened. Ian Lenhoff won, with a statline of 2/3/3/4 for 130, beating Ben Herman and his statline of 1/0/5/0 for 80. Thanks for playing, everyone - I'll post the packet soon.

edit: here's the packet.
Attachments
Forty Licks.docx
(172 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF
cruzeiro
Rikku

Post by cruzeiro »

tejasraje wrote:In order to ease World Cup withdrawal, I will be reading a soccer packet next Monday at 9PM EST. I can read on either Skype or IRC depending on interest.

EDIT: This will be on Tuesday instead at the same time.
Where will this be taking place?
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

On the IRC at 9 today.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Packet was read, Daniel and Dennis tied with 35, Ted had 30 and Herm and Cory had 20. Packet is attached.
Attachments
Soccer Packet.docx
(38.26 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
yeah viv talk nah
Lulu

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

Would anyone be interested if I wrote a packet on cricket?
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

crash bandicoot wrote:Would anyone be interested if I wrote a packet on cricket?
I would shed several tears of joy if that happened.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

crash bandicoot wrote:Would anyone be interested if I wrote a packet on cricket?
Assuming I am free on the night it's read, I may show up for it.
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

I know some non-quiz bowl people who would be interested in that.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
yeah viv talk nah
Lulu

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

Working on writing cricket packet right now.
Last edited by yeah viv talk nah on Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

I've had a request to read my Tricon packet on IRC. I will be reading it on Monday, August 11, at 8pm - if you are not attending a physical mirror of Tricon, you are welcome to play it in #tricon on SlashNET. (I believe all physical mirrors except for the UMN mirror will have concluded at this point, so everyone should know if they plan on playing it in person or not).
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Chef Curry
Lulu

Post by Chef Curry »

Hello,

I don't know if a lot of quizbowl people watch it, but would anybody be interested if I wrote a packet on the television show Suits(preferably), if not The Big Bang Theory?
Ahan Patel
Manheim Township High School '17
Villanova '21
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

I'd play a BBT packet
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

I would love to play a Suits packet, and I know Evan Adams would too.

Stats for my Tricon reading:
Stephen E. 2/7/3/1 = 225
Dan P. 2/3/9/0 = 210
Jeffrey H. 1/0/1/0 = 40
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Chef Curry
Lulu

Post by Chef Curry »

Is there any more interest for a Suits or BBT packet?
Ahan Patel
Manheim Township High School '17
Villanova '21
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

ahan108 wrote:Is there any more interest for a Suits or BBT packet?
I would love to play a BBT pack!
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I am writing a packet about Frasier. I should have it finished either Thursday or Friday. Let's plan on me reading it Friday night, I guess.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

20 tossups, will be read Friday night at 9 CST in #quizbowl-frasier.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

John Lawrence won 125 over David Seal's 0.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota